XT Falcon advise needed on engines and brakes 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: XT Falcon advise needed on engines and brakes
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Hello everyone,

I own a '68 XT Falcon, 221 column shift auto sedan. It looks like it has drum brakes all round. Was wondering if later model (XD - XF maybe) front disc brakes will swap on easily. Will TransportSA have any issues with this, does it break any modification laws? Could I grab everything needed from a wreckers/U-pull-it?

Also, I was looking at a 302 Windsor or Clevo on gas with a manual box. I was looking for some advise on what to go with. I won't be driving it hard so I don't need an unbreakable driveline, looking more for commoner, hopefully less expensive options. Would it be an idea to look out for wrecking XA - XF 's with manual gas V8's? Economy-wise, would a 302 be much better than a 351 on gas?

Will a T5 be a bolt-on option for the V8's in my car? Just wondering if it was a viable option for the extra gear.

Oh, and I'm trying to take stock of missing chrome, did the XT's have any strips at the bottom of or below the side windows? I've got chrome strips around the front and back windows, and at the top of the side windows.

Sorry for the huge list of questions, this is my first go with aussie muscle cars so I don't know a whole lot.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF 5 Speed, XH Uterus :P

TAS, Australia

XF disks are allowed, not sure how easy it is to do, but it's quite common. Also, if upgrading to a v8, you have to have front discs to be pit passed if it's a conversion, anyway in tassie it is!

T5 should bolt up, with the correct bellhousing. as to 302/351 on gas, not sure what would be more economical. my guess would be the 302. going straight gas or petrol/gas? got any photos of it?

Click here for a few photos for where the chrome strips should be

Maloo - Holden's word for ugly.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EF Falcon GLi

SA, Australia

Thanks for the reply.

Excellent, at least it's legal. Yeah, I was thinking that I'd probably have to change to front discs for the V8 conversion. I figured that the later model ones would be easier to find, I know there's a heap of XD-XF's down at U-Pull-It.

I was planning on running the V8 on straight gas.

Here's some pictures, from the look of that other XT I'm missing the side chrome strip on my car. Was this strip standard, or an option for the higher models? I'm not sure if the pics are too small/big. I thought I'd make them smaller just incase, as too small is probably better than too big when posting.

Attachments:
XT2Small.jpg
XT2Small.jpg [ 48.72 KiB | Viewed 210 times ]
XT1Small.jpg
XT1Small.jpg [ 38.55 KiB | Viewed 212 times ]

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

Nice XT mates got 2 ones like in the process of rebuilt and ones in top condition low as f**k sexy lookin cars when done up sounds awsome for a 6 too. not many around

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:53 am 
Stock as a Rock

NT, Australia

Use XD-XF Discs on the front but from memeory u need a shim for the tie rod as the size didnt increase to the bigger tie rod till xY (i think).
Use a duel plane master cylinder from an XB if u dont already have a duel plane and if u do change the unit just grab the whole pedal booster cylinder assembly.
As for the engine i have had 302s and 351s and find a 351c on gas with a normal 600 vac sec holley to be a very economical choice when running gas , it has power when u want it and can cruise all day, like a real engine should.
the clevo will bolt straight in as the engine bay is the same as a XY which was the first to have the big clevo.

Mk2 Zephyr
2011 XR6 Special edition

Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

Maniax wrote:
Here's some pictures, from the look of that other XT I'm missing the side chrome strip on my car. Was this strip standard, or an option for the higher models?

IIRC, all XR/XT's had the chrome strip. those photos i linked you to are of a Falcon 500 (1 up from base). The XR's had the strip run around the body (where the line is in the doors pretty much) and the XT's had it run up the top edge of the bonnet and around at that height.

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F150

VIC, Australia

A mate had a XR with a 351c, the rocker cover rubbed ont eh brake lines on the passenger side of the firewall.

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

CRUSHU wrote:
A mate had a XR with a 351c, the rocker cover rubbed ont eh brake lines on the passenger side of the firewall.

could be a bit of a problem :lol:

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]