xt with efi v8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: xt with efi v8
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:23 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1969 XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

hi
i have an xt falcon and was thinking of converting it with an engine from an ed.

what is needed from the ED and will a T5 manual fit the V8

also does anyone know if the diff on an e series wagon will fit into an XT or is it longer

thanks everyone

Post subject: Re: xt with efi v8
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 95 EF GLI

VIC, Australia

ferr007 wrote:
hi
i have an xt falcon and was thinking of converting it with an engine from an ed.

what is needed from the ED and will a T5 manual fit the V8

also does anyone know if the diff on an e series wagon will fit into an XT or is it longer

thanks everyone

what model xt?

95 Ef Gli, mods : Tickford Head, Tickford ecu, Pacemaker 4499, Venom 100 cpi cat, Redback 2.5" catback, Wade 977b cam, ba xr6 intake and SS inductions, k & n filter & leather seats. 147.5kw @ wheels

Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

You'll require a v8 t5, as 6 cyl has different length input shafts, diff wise, they use a flange plate as opposed to uni, they also have bigger hub bore, I just wish I could remember the length, I think it's different but by very little, I think you can get away with the length, bracket mounts for the leafs not sure.

The question about what model xt, are you reffering to a ba/bf, xt(e.g. pov pack) as oppsed to a late 60's xt. :lol:

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:18 am 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

hi guys sorry for the late reply its a 1968 model xt falcon and what im wanting to do is put all an e series v8 running gear into it so diff engine gearbox brakes etc

thanks

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

OZBMX wrote:
The question about what model xt, are you reffering to a ba/bf, xt(e.g. pov pack) as oppsed to a late 60's xt. :lol:

<----- :lol: :lol: 8-)

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:12 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ok diff from wagon will physically fit but is longer.
I used a XB width 9" (which is the same width as E series wagon) under a XY ute years ago and could fit 265/50 14 tyres on 14x8 dragway indys. It will be close but will fit.
I have one here if you are chasing one.
For your brakes use the ones that come on the wagon diff. You will need and adaptor to change the hardline from imperial to metric.(About $3 at a brake place) For front brakes you cant go past a set of XF discs , calipers and uprights on an XT. Straight bolt up , readily available and basically the same discs as E series.
There is a couple of options on the 5 speed. Being an early model and not having a steering rack to have to clear you have an added option.
1. Track down complete E series 5.0 V8 and 5 speed. Fairly rare and expensive and cable clutch.
2 Get CRS bellhousing to fit 6 cylinder T5 to 5.0 with left handstarter and set up with E series flywheel etc. Once again cable clutch and costly. Also extractors will be a pain in an early model with a left hand starter.
3. This would be my preferred option. Get old school windsor or cleveland bellhousing and matching flywheel and have it balanced to 50oz as per the late model motor. The bellhousing will physically bolt up. Machine 4mm off the input shaft retainers outside edge on the T5 and redrill the bellhousing to suit. This way a 6 cylinder T5 will bolt in and work , you keep a hydraulic clutch and keeping drivers side starter means a set of off the shelf Windosr extractors for a XT will fit.
For wiring the ECU you are better off getting an aftermarket stand alone harness from the states for the Windsor. They are cheap for what they are and are easy to fit. This is what I ended up doing when I put the 5.0 in my Maverick.
Let me know if there is more help you need. Hope this was of assisitance.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Also if you go to the later model barkes and rear diff you will then be going to the large hub wheels so your current wheels wont fit. Basically anything XB-EL will fit but.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: xc wag's, tnklane wag's

QLD, Australia

ferr007 wrote:
hi guys sorry for the late reply its a 1968 model xt falcon and what im wanting to do is put all an e series v8 running gear into it so diff engine gearbox brakes etc

thanks

Hehe don't worry when I had my XL wagon I'd mention it and mates would go you had a Hyundai, got quite frustrating, as I severely despise hyundais, due to my experience with them.

Signature removed by moderator.signature must not exceed 120x500 pixles

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:42 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

thanks everyone especially EVL098 a lot of info to think about and decide what the best option would be, im glad the diff will fit and i really want a manual everyone has an auto im getting sick of auto's so a v8 manual it is if i have any dramas i will let everyone know once i start or start finding the parts

again thanks all and an XL wagon is definately a lot cooler than a Hyundai

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]