Fordmods Logo

Airbox mod / Speed holes (Ah La; The simpsons) 

Page 9 of 12 [ 173 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ba

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
went to calder the other week, be problem with heat soak as i thought. was getting out very few minutes fanning the hood. on the plus side when i got home i checked it and the side of the box was dead cold.

wat time did u get??

Ba Stock As A Rock

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

car is dead stock part from the holes, k&n filter, and some paint on the box. took the spare out and a few other things. nothing major.

with shift kit 16.23
with out kit 16.45

and f**k me the $20 of electronics actually takes two tenths off the time!

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: ba

VIC, Australia

20 i got mine for 50 but they are fun worth geting me thinks :)

Ba Stock As A Rock

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

na i made mine, with an adjuster too.

i was having a look the other day at a stock BA and it set a time of 16.38 or something. can that be right that my stock EL could match a stock BA? or in fact beat it with a shift kit?

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6 5 speed. 96 Ford Fairmont

NT, Australia

I just finished chainsawing my airbox just like yours fiftyone and boy did it make a difference.
I now have a nice deep sound from my stock zorst and a little extra poke. I cant wait for my tax to come in so I can get my new 2 1/2" :D :D :D

I havnt noticed any difference with temp yet. I've been to busy putting my foot down so I cant say what its like under general driving :)

cheers, Nathan

Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

around town driving should be the same. but i found after being sitting at the lights for a little while its a big slow. and espesially after ive switched it for for 2 or 3 minutes and restart. can't quite get the mixtures right for it.

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:26 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF xr6 5spd

SA, Australia

Alright guys. I have an EB2 and have got little income (for now). So this mod of drilling holes or slits in the airbox sound like a brilliant thing to do. I think next time I go for a drive I'll feel around the airbox and see what part is the coldest and see if I can put some extra 'ventilation' to my sixer.
but thats only if my dad lets me. If he does I could do a before and after picture thing.

-1994 EF XR6 + Factory 5speed = Fun :)

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

just remember that the first body style of the e series had the flip flop system to the later body style. i think theres a box and intake for sale on here or ebay.

if your looking for power, get one. shown to produce more flow

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Hey fellas, I know that everyone thinks that 'cold air' intakes are the duck's guts (especially Holden owners), but it's really more about pressure rather than temperature. Higher pressure is created whenever moving air is forced to slow down, eg. when changing direction. That's why your ventilation system draws its air from the bottom of the windscreen. Fast moving air (whether 'cold' or not) is going to be lower pressure hence not good for performance.

The best place to get high pressue air is from the very front surface of the bumper bar. Since this is impractical, the placement of Ford's stock intake snorkels is a good compromise, and if you can supplement it with other similar sources (such as the headlight on XRs) then all the better. Simply cutting holes in your air box where you find cold air is a lottery! If you open it up to a low pressure area then most of the snorkel's good ram air will be dumped back out to atmosphere through your new 'performance' holes.

The proper way to find the high pressure spots in your front end is to connect a plastic tube to a manometer, place the open end in a likely spot then go for a drive. Repeat the process chosing different spots. When you've found a good one then you can run another snorkel duct to that location. The headlight and brake ducts %should% be good locations in theory, and possibly near the sides of the radiator too.

All that being said, cold air is denser, hence it is better for performance if pressure is not a factor.

Current rides: XF Ute, XB Coupe, SY Territory.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

i disagree, there wouldn't be all that much air rammed in the front cause of the way the snorkle and bonnet meet

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:20 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

Did this last weekend to my EL Fairmont. Std 4ltr except for headers and a pod filter inside the air box.

Made a noticable difference to both sound and performance ... am very happy with it - CHEERS Fiftyone great idea
KSK

Kiwi Skid Kid - XR8 BOSS 260
If you see me switch off the traction control you better hold on tight!

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:27 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia AU

NSW, Australia

Thats pretty cool. I took to my intake with the dremel. i cut the grille on my au fairmont sorta giving more room for the air to get to the snorkel

//////////////ZFOORD///////////////////
1999 Fairmont Ghia AUTO VCT
137.1rwkws 15.2 quarter mile
/////////////////MyMods/////////////////
Hurricane Headers, 2.5" Hi-flo cat. etc.
major intake mods/cutting/chopping
EBC Greenstuff Brakepads
Slotted Rotors

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

buhyxr6 wrote:
TMAN NK wrote:
gday

for those who have ea to ed this is what ive done to mine ......

have any1 heard of the ea phase 7?? there were 4 2 sixes and 2 eights on the sixes that was done from factory(my mates has 1) thats how i know.
i know a guy who has a red one, it has red ford badges, also it has stuff like muilipoint injection, phase 7 on the body plates and the body kit, he has personalised plates on it that say phase 7

Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

just wondering if anyone with this mod is experiancing the same problem, ever since i cut the box and added the 2 1/2 exhaust it hasnt been able to get the mixture right. sounds awsome although when i stick it to the floor it doesnt seem to like it and coughs it back.

anyone no if theres anything to do to get a blanced mixture? or could the ecu reset itself to compensate for the added air?

Post subject: airbox problems
Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

just wondering if anyone with this mod is experiancing the same problem, ever since i cut the box and added the 2 1/2 exhaust it hasnt been able to get the mixture right. sounds awsome although when i stick it to the floor it doesnt seem to like it and coughs it back.

anyone no if theres anything to do to get a blanced mixture? or could the ecu reset itself to compensate for the added air?

Sort by  
 Page 9 of 12  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next