Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide 

Page 19 of 24 [ 346 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next

Post subject: Re: Auto to Manual Conversion Guide
Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Damoo wrote:
My EL Fairmont Ghia is undergoing a manual conversion at the moment, what happens if I just leave the auto ECU in there without doing resistor trick or remapping my J3?

Thanks guys.
At a guess, not a lot. You may find the car will start and enter limp mode, depending on the neutral switch working correctly (or just short the neutral together so as always in neutral). You really need the resistor trick. Easy to do. Just do it. The ECU needs to know certain things about the auto for it to run correctly. The resistors are providing "normal" values to this part of the computer program. Without these "normal values" the ECU will think the AUTO box is malfunctioning and will screw with your quarter mile times quite remarkably.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

evxr6 wrote:
I think that you have to use the clutch pedal switch to push the Pause button on the cruise control so that it doesn't over rev when you change gears.

I did this too. I grabbed a set of cruise control connections from a wreck (male and female connectors) so then it was possible to add the wiring without taking apart the functioning in car loom.

You need to check the resistor value for the CRUISE CONTROL BUTTON and have this resistor in line with the switch on the clutch pedal.

It never worked correctly all the time as the cruise control module does not always work as fast as your clutch foot... So you may get engine rev anyway.

But, was worth a try. I removed it in the end.

post961158.html#p961158
http://www.fordmods.com/post961158.html#p961158

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:55 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
Damoo wrote:
My EL Fairmont Ghia is undergoing a manual conversion at the moment, what happens if I just leave the auto ECU in there without doing resistor trick or remapping my J3?

Thanks guys.
At a guess, not a lot. You may find the car will start and enter limp mode, depending on the neutral switch working correctly (or just short the neutral together so as always in neutral). You really need the resistor trick. Easy to do. Just do it. The ECU needs to know certain things about the auto for it to run correctly. The resistors are providing "normal" values to this part of the computer program. Without these "normal values" the ECU will think the AUTO box is malfunctioning and will screw with your quarter mile times quite remarkably.

Yeah, I'll just do it anyway I reckon.

Also I believe my box is out of an XH, I've got the flywheel here, is it OK to get that one machined and a clutch for it and use it with my EL engine or are they different?

Is there much of a difference between the manual and auto cars? I've got about 138KW at the rears and I'm curious on how the manuals are to drive over the autos?

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Manual is way more fun.. Your 140kw will be worth a skid or two.

Flywheel will work. Suggest getting machinist to put in extra three holes (and thread them) to suit six bolt clutch.

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Manuals are so much more fun . especially With an lsd

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Subaru Liberty RX Wagon MY03

NSW, Australia

If you don't do the resistor trick the ecu will think that the auto is overheating and run the thermo fans full speed all the time. And also cause rev hang as the ecu will think it is in gear.

Current ride: MY03 Liberty RX Wagon
EBII S-XR6, Now 5 speed. Moved on to greener pastures...

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Wouldn't that result in LIMP mode, or whatever it is, since auto tranny is running so hot for so long?

Posted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:21 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

I can't wait till its done, it gives me the s**t going up hills and the car is going 4/3/2/3/4/3/2/3/4/3 going up the long steep hills on the Calder freeway for some reason.

Its got enough torque to pull up the hill without having to drop gears let alone go back into 2nd, I think the auto is on its way out because it doesn't change back into 1st smoothly when coming to a stop, shakes the car and revs up then shifts hard into 1st jerking the car forward under brakes.

Get rid of that s**t soon lol.

Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yes, auto is s**t itself. EL didn't have a dipstick for tranny oil checking huh? Sad.

Uhm, dude. When going up hills, you CAN just use the thing called.... A SHIFTER.... and put it into THIRD yourself. The car will then... Stay in third.

This will stop a lot of extra wear and tear on the old s**t tranny. Sliding around between gears going up hills (especially towing or under load) will eat the thing pronto

Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:07 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

fiend wrote:
Yes, auto is s**t itself. EL didn't have a dipstick for tranny oil checking huh? Sad.

Uhm, dude. When going up hills, you CAN just use the thing called.... A SHIFTER.... and put it into THIRD yourself. The car will then... Stay in third.

This will stop a lot of extra wear and tear on the old s**t tranny. Sliding around between gears going up hills (especially towing or under load) will eat the thing pronto

Thats why I'm converting to manual, all autos are s**t I don't care if its some fancy Nazi ZF thing, they never drive properly.

Also the place doing my flywheel cant do the extra holes in the flywheel, does it matter? They can still machine it though.

Posted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:48 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Also where can Iget a new clutch cable from? Nothing on Ebay, is it something Repco would sell?

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:52 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Damoo wrote:
Also where can Iget a new clutch cable from? Nothing on Ebay, is it something Repco would sell?

Try Burson or buy direct from Ford.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ive found repco cheaper than bursons

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Hi there, just didnt wanna start a new topic,

Whats the go with an EL engine and transmission loom?
I had a quick look at the spare one i have in the shed before i decide to go t5, and could almost swear there were no plugs to take the transmission loom off,

Does this mean i either have to do the resistor trick or swap the entire auto loom to manual loom?..
Cheers everyone

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:41 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yep.. so you either got to chop and modify the trans end of the auto loom or replace whole engine loom to a manual one..

Sort by  
 Page 19 of 24  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 24  Next