Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide 

Page 20 of 24 [ 346 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post subject: Re: Auto to Manual Conversion Guide
Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 96 EL XR6

QLD, Australia

Okay, thanks troyman

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:12 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Ok, lets look at the wiring difference between auto and manual. There seems to be some confusion about neutral switch wiring.
I have converted my last two falcons from auto to manual, both using the resistor(s) trick for temp and gear position in the auto loom plug, and shorting the neutral switch for start.
Now I have a manual tune on my j3 chip, so I no longer need the resistors in the auto plug. This got me thinking......

So how does the ecu know when the car is in gear? (required for lean cruise and deceleration fuel cut), and what are the two unused wires in the manual loom plug for? (Black/White is signal ground, and there is a Light Blue/Yellow)
After consulting the Ford workshop pinout chart and wiring diagrams, I was even more confused. ECU looks for resistance from auto on pin 94 (thats on EF, I think pin 30 on 60 pin ECU's) to determine gear position, but for manual looks for 5 volts in gear, 0 volts neutral.

I couldn't find the Light Blue/Yellow wire anywhere in any manual I have access to.
Turns out, after much Google searching, this wire is shorted to signal ground via neutral switch in manual cars.

So, as I am using the auto version of the manual loom, I don't have these two wires. So I just used the two gear position wires in the auto loom plug, the round one, to connect the ECU to the neutral switch.

There are however two questions left unanswered.
1. Where does the Light Blue/Yellow wire join with the Purple/Light Green on Pin 94?
2. Does the manual tune on the j3 chip recalibrate the ECU to see a switched voltage for gear position instead of resistance values, or is there a hardware difference between auto and manual ECU's.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents worth.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:15 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB S XR6

VIC, Australia

hey guys, just compleded a manual conversion from a very wornout btr,
That guide was a great help,

But im sumped with one bit, the car runs, starts, drives fine, but its hardcore hunting, and with the a/c on will eventually stall out.

The gearbox came with the manual loom, which is plugged in,

As per the guide I was going to do the resistor trick, as i think these issues are coming from the ecu thinking the gearbox is overheating? but the wireing is different, different colours.

Can anyone help me with this one?

Its an EB s xr6.

Cheers, Rob .

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

You can inplug the idle control valve and bump the idle up by the little screw on the throttle body.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

that might be a good idea for a temporary fix!

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

dyefuker wrote:

I had my factory el 5 speed's idle control unplugged because it still had a little rev hang which annoyed me. The loom computer and everything in between was all for manual but it still did it.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

VIC, Australia

bry40l wrote:
dyefuker wrote:

I had my factory el 5 speed's idle control unplugged because it still had a little rev hang which annoyed me. The loom computer and everything in between was all for manual but it still did it.

Ahh right interesting, how did it go with extra load with a/c on? mines a massive rev dip, goes to 0 and the alternator light flickers lol

Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Used to idle at 1500 with the air on on. But I never got it gassed so it didn't matter

BF XR6

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: El Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Hey im in the process of converting my el fairmont to manual but the wiring doesn't look the same. The auto wiring goes straight into the wiring with the injector plugs. No 2 plugs at the end. And help would be appreciated. Cheers

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: El Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

Hey im in the process of converting my el fairmont to manual but the wiring doesn't look the same. The auto wiring goes straight into the wiring with the injector plugs. No 2 plugs at the end. And help would be appreciated. Cheers

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:53 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

^ I have exactly the same problem, EL Fairmont Ghia here.

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Damoo wrote:
^ I have exactly the same problem, EL Fairmont Ghia here.
El-jezah011 wrote:

Go back one page.. i asked the same question.. a little search goes a long way .

EL XR6, T5 Speed - Full Factory Fitted Tickford Body Kit, AU Engine, Billet Camtech 845 Cam, J3 Chip, MLS Gasket, Intake, Extractors, High flow cat, 2 1/2in exhaust, K&N Air Filter, 3.45 LSD, - My Pride and Joy

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:58 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Ah yep thanks much mate, same colour wires as in the guide?

How did you do yours?

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Damoo wrote:
Ah yep thanks much mate, same colour wires as in the guide?

How did you do yours?

Colours can vary model to model,

4 wire plug is your reverse and neutral switch wires, 2 for reverse, 2 for neutral. Take a guess with them until you get reverse lights.

Then for the wires for the resistors, youll have to have a look at your colours.

Theyre in the round plug,

My colours were, 1.2k resistor beteen Yellow&black, white stripe.
And the 6.8k beteen Purple, light green stripe & black, white stripe.
4 wires total.

Yours may differ..

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford EL Sapphire

NSW, Australia

okay i have a 98 El falcon 6 cyl and i converted it Manuel wen i was 15 last year but i never did the resistor tick i just plugged the Inhibitor switch i and yea the fans stay on and dont turn off i have looked in the e series book but the wiering on the plug that go into the auto has different coolers then what the book says so i am stuck and the car is over fueling as that is what i think is happening i think that the Auto has a temp sencer and that because there is no signal to the ECU its think that the Auto oil is hot or something . the yellow wire down there i beleave that it runs the the O2 sencer and thats why i think its over fueling it hesitates to pull at 2500 - 3000 RPM and i wanna fix it because its becoming a pain in the a** i will take a pic of my plug and the colers that i have and yea i got all the stuff to do it its just that the guide had different colors and suff so i just left it alown and drove it haha would be good if someone could help me plz thanks :)

Sort by  
 Page 20 of 24  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next