Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual Conversion Guide 

Page 5 of 24 [ 346 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next

Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:56 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

yeah i was just checking if idd done somthing wrong, as i thought the guide made it so you could start in gear.

thanks voxace

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: ef falcon

WA, Australia

commend you on a great doco mate!!!

stage2cam,lukeyheaders,highflowcat2 1/2, 2 1/2 exhaust 3 hotdogs, 17x235/45 17x255/40's

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: ED 5 Speed GLiXR

QLD, Australia

So how long am i expecting the conversion to take?
As i got a hoist and everything to work with at a wreckers to do this conversion, with the aid of the owner, so all should go well, he said about a day and a half.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:03 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Two people and a hoist? Less than a day.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:08 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

TwinturboBMX wrote:
So how long am i expecting the conversion to take?
As i got a hoist and everything to work with at a wreckers to do this conversion, with the aid of the owner, so all should go well, he said about a day and a half.

If you have all the tools...I say you should be able to do it within a day...It did take me 3 days in total. First day I started after work...at about 2PM and finished late at night but couldn't get the auto out (didn't have enough extensions) and second day got the auto out (managed to scab some extensions). Took my time the second day cleaning some of the parts and making sure all was well and I think we got the whole manual box in on the same day...if not the 3rd day. On the 3rd day everything was in (i took one day break cause I had work and cbfed) and did the wiring. started first go and all was well.

But if you didn't take breaks and had all the tools with a hoist...i would say you could do it within a day if you are slightly mechanically minded. BTW if you are weak like me...you may need a rattle gun...I was hopeless at removing bolts.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:26 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

My new record is 4hours and 55 mins.

This time I did it by myself rather than with 2 people, and I did it quicker than my previous best. If you have a hoist, and all the right transmission jacks, you could probably knock an hour off that.

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

arm79 wrote:

This time I did it by myself rather than with 2 people, and I did it quicker than my previous best. If you have a hoist, and all the right transmission jacks, you could probably knock an hour off that.

That is extremely fast! I know if i had to do it a 2nd time around, i'd be a lot quicker. Altho i also changed the engine as well.

I did mine in roughly 8hrs, old engine & auto out, fiddling with wiring for the lpg to get the engine out. Clean up the engine bay & trans tunnel, then slide in new engine & gearbox, and hook it all up. All by myself, with an engine hoist and two trolley jacks. Nothing fancy.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Mon May 07, 2007 4:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
arm79 wrote:

That is extremely fast! I know if i had to do it a 2nd time around, i'd be a lot quicker. Altho i also changed the engine as well.

I did mine in roughly 8hrs, old engine & auto out, fiddling with wiring for the lpg to get the engine out. Clean up the engine bay & trans tunnel, then slide in new engine & gearbox, and hook it all up. All by myself, with an engine hoist and two trolley jacks. Nothing fancy.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

It took me longer than I wanted because I couldn't use my rattle gun. The hose joins were leaking like a mofo and I started at 9pm. That probably cost me 45 mins alone, but thems the brakes.

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hmmm interesting, we have to change pedal box in it, and then do it all, but he has other commitments throughout a day seeing as how he owns the wreckers. There will be like 3 of us working on it as two of us will be there to help out and learn about it. Sounds good to me though be done friday night.

17" Tezza Steelies, King F**king lows, pedders sports ryders, 2.5" cat back exhaust, pacemaker extractors, T5 manual
Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

if you wanna save time put the pedal box in during the week so you dont have to worry about it.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Gaz wrote:
if you wanna save time put the pedal box in during the week so you dont have to worry about it.

Dont have any time mate, i go to tafe full time. i'm taking time off on friday to attempt to get this done.

Low, loud and Slow

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Gaz wrote:

Gaz,

That's gotta be the hardest part of the conversion i thought, removing the dash to change the peddle box over. With a couple of ppl it should be a fairly quick excercise tho.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:58 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ToranaGuy wrote:
Gaz wrote:

Gaz,

That's gotta be the hardest part of the conversion i thought, removing the dash to change the peddle box over. With a couple of ppl it should be a fairly quick excercise tho.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

yeah should be quick and simple if you have more then one....if you are on your own it may take a while like I found...

I wrote a post in this thread on what I did.

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:

yeah should be quick and simple if you have more then one....if you are on your own it may take a while like I found...

I wrote a post in this thread on what I did.

phong =P~

The hardest part about my dash removal was the LPG Injection wiring loom, nowhere in the loom is there any quick connectors that you can unplug to help with removal of the dash. I had to fiddle f@rt around and only get the dash part way out, just far enough to change the peddle box.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Thanks Dave.

I cant convert my car to manual for at least another year but thankyou so much for the guide.

Im downloading it for when I am ready to convert it.

Thanks again.

Sort by  
 Page 5 of 24  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 24  Next