Fordmods Logo

head gasket doco *started* 

Page 7 of 13 [ 188 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:42 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

good write up , just picked up on the thread a bit of info for ya that might help , the reason number 6 piston is clean no carbon is that it is oil washed , rings on that cylinder are not controlling the oil which is able to make its way up the bore, carbon cant form on an oily piston. the carbon on the piston is no totally a bad thing , to explain excess carbon can cause detonation because it gets hot starts glowing and bingo you have a diesel , a small film of carbon is good as its melting temp is higher than the alloy that the piston itself is made of , it protects right down over the ring to the edge of the bore, again too much aint good because it can jam the ring which rotates around the piston. carbon is hard and can cause wear in the wrong places eg. bearings lifters etc if ya going to fire the engine soon eg. incar head replace dont be frightened by water and lots of it flush everthing out the sump , let drip dry fill with new oil and drive, oil temp get up to 160-180 at highway speeds water boils at 100 pcv sucks of the steam and cleans everything, fue drops of water do less damage than s**t in the oil, hope it helps

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:32 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

xfpaul wrote:
good write up , just picked up on the thread a bit of info for ya that might help , the reason number 6 piston is clean no carbon is that it is oil washed , rings on that cylinder are not controlling the oil which is able to make its way up the bore, carbon cant form on an oily piston. the carbon on the piston is no totally a bad thing , to explain excess carbon can cause detonation because it gets hot starts glowing and bingo you have a diesel , a small film of carbon is good as its melting temp is higher than the alloy that the piston itself is made of , it protects right down over the ring to the edge of the bore, again too much aint good because it can jam the ring which rotates around the piston. carbon is hard and can cause wear in the wrong places eg. bearings lifters etc if ya going to fire the engine soon eg. incar head replace dont be frightened by water and lots of it flush everthing out the sump , let drip dry fill with new oil and drive, oil temp get up to 160-180 at highway speeds water boils at 100 pcv sucks of the steam and cleans everything, fue drops of water do less damage than s**t in the oil, hope it helps

Ohh cool thanks for the info :D. Tough with cylinder 6, is that a bad thing? should I be replacing the rings? or can I get away with it?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:02 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

correct answer is yes , but the cost goes up if ya do the the pistons should be done , that automatically means new conrod brgs , and then where do you stop if ya doing bigends might as well do the mains , crank out means new front and rear seals (yeah dont forget welsh plugs while ya got the engine out) through a new oil pump and timing chain at this and you just about have a new engine

NC2 Fairlane AU2 Intech 4.0 Wolf V500 ECU Accel 500cc Injectors Eaton M90 Blower MPx Porting 75mm Mustang TB Intercooler Holley 255lph EL XR6 Rear End 3.45 LSD Duel Fuel lots more.
Long and Very Nice

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

phongus wrote:
Damo wrote:
So I'll just ask Ford for these shims? and I guess its about 40 bucks for a set of 12 or is it more :??

phong =P~

$60 from Ford for 12 of them. Wade charge nearly double that & will tell you themselves to get from Ford

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:09 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

xfpaul wrote:
correct answer is yes , but the cost goes up if ya do the the pistons should be done , that automatically means new conrod brgs , and then where do you stop if ya doing bigends might as well do the mains , crank out means new front and rear seals (yeah dont forget welsh plugs while ya got the engine out) through a new oil pump and timing chain at this and you just about have a new engine

that's what I thought...it just won't end. If it is safe for me to keep it the way it is, then I'll keep it that way and won't change it.

thanks for the info.

phong =P~

EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

also get the plastic clip retainers which hold the lifter in the rocker arm, or you will have to stuff around with tape

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

FordFairmont wrote:
also get the plastic clip retainers which hold the lifter in the rocker arm, or you will have to stuff around with tape

Could I get them from Ford as well? Sorry not sure where abouts to buy the little bits.

phong =P~

Posted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:06 pm 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

ok cheap fix , ajax in boe 6 after you have head on , when cranking it will deglase the bore will help oil control, if you can without rotateing the crank give it a cross hatch rubb with 800-1200 wet and dry lightly this will allso help very lightly on the thrust sides , 90 degress to the crank

Long and Very Nice

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:30 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Just a bit of an update and a few questions.

Went to Ford to get some shims, going to cost me $39.60 for a set of 12 shims. Usually it costs $4.20 each (excluding GST) but got it for $3.00 each (excluding GST). So it's cheaper then I first thought.

I also got quoted $1091.35 for brand new rocker assembly...that's with new rocker arms, new shafts and support shafts...that's ridiculous, I thought it was much cheaper then that :?. I think I'll just replace the broken ones.

I have ordered in the shims, though do the shims come with retainers? I asked the guy at Spare Parts and he said that he couldn't find anything to do with retainers :? so we both hope that it comes with the set of shims. If it doesn't, where do I get them from?

cheers

phong =P~

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:01 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

Buy a second hand rocker assembly and get the good rockers and replace the broken ones.
Think i bought the rockers for $80. All the rockers worked good so i swaped it for the ones in my car.

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:15 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

shnoza wrote:
Buy a second hand rocker assembly and get the good rockers and replace the broken ones.
Think i bought the rockers for $80. All the rockers worked good so i swaped it for the ones in my car.

That was my option, but i thought I'd get a price on a brand spanking new one...I guess I'll just get a second hand one or use the one that is in my current engine. Either way, I'll need the rocker assembly :D

phong =P~

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:22 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Okay...I nearly have all the parts needed to complete this headgasket change. All i need is a second hand rocker assembly and get maintenance staff at work to change the water pump pulley over from the old to the new.

I've tried cleaning the piston tops but they are pretty much caked on...no harm in just leaving them the way they are with one piston super clean, another half clean and the rest with a nice layer of carbon build up?

I have the metal AU head gasket, do I need to put any gasket glue/maker thingy on it before I tighten all things up? Was told no need for any glue on the AU gasket...would be greatly appreciated if someone could confirm this thanks :D.

Will have pics along the way.

phong =P~

Posted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:52 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: BA

NSW, Australia

It should be alright if there is some carbon build up on the piston.
I didnt use any glue for the head gasket. The way i see it is that it gets compressed so there is no need for the glue. But everyone to there own.

"Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits."
"Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head."
"Chuck Norris ordered a Big Mac at Burger King, and got one."

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

you should never use any glue on a head gasket unless the manufacturer says its ok.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:51 am 
Smokin em up

TAS, Australia

if ya using metel gasket buy the proper copper cote its a type spray paint , it seals the gasket while you are still assembling the engine and keeps water where its ment to be until ya get it started , get it hot and retention the head bolts

Long and Very Nice

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 13  [ 188 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next