Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: 17" to 19" Wheels
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Gday, Im thinking of getting pre AU 19" Cobra wheels and i was wondering if this will effect the handling going from 17" to 19". At the moment the car handles awesome and takes the bumps nicely, i dont want it to be to rough. What do you guys think?

Cheers

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Post subject: Re: 17" to 19" Wheels
Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

it will be rough, but as long as it looks nice who cares :)

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 98 EL xr8

QLD, Australia

and it will make the speedo out just a bit not much tho...

NO longer own a car... but my work ute is a falcon..

current rides
Harley Fatboy 05
Custom shadow 07
Sportster 02

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ok, with the actual handling though will it take the corners the same? Like for track work would 17" be grippier than 19" or does it come down to the tire your using?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: AU XR6

Power: 171 rwkw

NSW, Australia

depends how youre defining handling, if you mean ride comfort yes the ride will be harsher. but if youre refering to cornering aspects it will sharpen your steering response due to the lower profile of the tyre but the tyres wont be able to soak up the bumps as well and will give you a "skipping" effect on uneven surfaces producing understeer

9/98 AU1 XR6hp-about to retire from the road and be reborn on the race track.
86 ZL mint grandpa spec with premo sound and 150000km
07 TTG 60000km stock as, mods to come.
97 el futura about to be MOCKed

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:07 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED falcon gli - XR6 replica

ACT, Australia

you'd being going from a 235/45/17 to a 245/35/19 tyre. pretty much the same rolling diameter so it wouldnt affect your speedo at all (maybe 1-2km/h difference at 110km/h). it will handle alittle worse because its ideal to have the least amount of unsprung weight you can so having bigger heavier wheel will affect the bounce and rebound of your shock/spring setup. on the plus side it might grip better with more rubber on the road. aslong as your cars not too slammed and has enough bumpstop clearance it shouldnt be too rough but will be noticably different.

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.
Soon: paccies, custom centre console

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:13 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

double post but ran it though a tyre calculator and if the car came with 205/65/15's standard and you go to a 245/35/19 tyres the speedo will be out by 1.027% (when your doing 100km/h you'll actually be doing 98.9kmh, so slower than speedo shows at 100)

Ford ED Falcon Gli, T5 conv, Twinlight lights, exedy sports tuff clutch, modified EA front grill, ED XR6 complete interior, 19" speedy graphites, monroe gt shocks, kingspring superlows, CAI, ported tickford head, 3:45 LSD.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: f6 rspec

NSW, Australia

if u like fast uphill cornering on FLAT road then you'll love it..but as soon as the road gets uneven it gets rough

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

p****d'N'broke wrote:
you'd being going from a 235/45/17 to a 245/35/19 tyre. pretty much the same rolling diameter so it wouldnt affect your speedo at all (maybe 1-2km/h difference at 110km/h). it will handle alittle worse because its ideal to have the least amount of unsprung weight you can so having bigger heavier wheel will affect the bounce and rebound of your shock/spring setup. on the plus side it might grip better with more rubber on the road. aslong as your cars not too slammed and has enough bumpstop clearance it shouldnt be too rough but will be noticably different.

I'd have to disagree with you on the tyres having a better contact patch, width wise maybe but not overall.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

Handling will be marginally worse, bit harsher ride.
Its not a track car so who really cares.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:52 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

ebxr82nv wrote:
p****d'N'broke wrote:

I'd have to disagree with you on the tyres having a better contact patch, width wise maybe but not overall.

never said anything about a better contact patch. i said "MIGHT grip better with more rubber on the road". "width wise but not over all"? well its got the same overall diameter so the only thing that has changed is width so....... the only way you can increase the "contact patch" apart from a wider tyre is putting a much larger in diameter tyre on OR letting the air out of the tyre so it "bags" more for larger surface area. drag cars and 4x4's both use tyre bagging for different reasons.

basically it will have more contact but less down force because the same weight is distributed over a greater surface area.

Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

p****d'N'broke wrote:
ebxr82nv wrote:
p****d'N'broke wrote:

never said anything about a better contact patch. i said "MIGHT grip better with more rubber on the road". "width wise but not over all"? well its got the same overall diameter so the only thing that has changed is width so....... the only way you can increase the "contact patch" apart from a wider tyre is putting a much larger in diameter tyre on OR letting the air out of the tyre so it "bags" more for larger surface area. drag cars and 4x4's both use tyre bagging for different reasons.

basically it will have more contact but less down force because the same weight is distributed over a greater surface area.

How can it have more rubber on the road but not have an increase in the contact patch?
As youve already stated the rolling diameter has barely changed but the profile has shrunk.
With less side wall the tyre isnt able to 'bag' out as you put it. My own evidence of this is the difference in the contact patch between my 20's with a 30 profile and my16's with a 50 profile. At 40 psi the 20's have about 3' of contact and the 16's have 5-6' of contact,and the 20's are a bigger rolling diameter.
4wd and drag slicks may have their rolling diameter incresed but they also increse the sidewall, only by doing this will you get a larger contact area.
The down force wont be effected either as the weight of the vehicle wont be changed, only the distribution of the weight via the smaller or larger contact patch, this may be the reason that low profile tyre dont have the km life that a standard style of tyre has due to the reduced contact area that has to carry more weight per square cm.

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:00 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

ebxr82nv wrote:
The down force wont be effected either as the weight of the vehicle wont be changed, only the distribution of the weight via the smaller or larger contact patch,
ebxr82nv wrote:
The down force wont be effected either as the weight of the vehicle wont be changed, only the distribution of the weight via the smaller or larger contact patch, this may be the reason that low profile tyre dont have the km life that a standard style of tyre has due to the reduced contact area that has to carry more weight per square cm.

you contradicted yourself saying that down force wont be affected as the weight of the car hasnt changed, then you go on to say "only distribution of the weight via small or large contact patch" and "reduced contact area that has to carry more weight per square cm". i know my physics and wouldnt that be increase in down force (kilogram-force)

i just read abit about this on some other sites and the "wider tyres = more grip arguement" is on every forum and even mechanical engineers are arguing about this on their forums so this is where i shut my mouth

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: GREEN ED XR6

Power: 249 rwkw

QLD, Australia

im looking at changing for 15" to 18" on my ed but ppl have said 18"s are ruff ive gone pedders lowered im only 35mm lower than standard i think and monroe gt shocks would it be too ruff for 18 or just go the 17's also im thinking about fitting AU/BA XR6 17's to my car what is the size of the spacers i need to get?

AU2 engine with Hoppers head/cam performance package & spool rods / CP pistons ,Snort 1200 plenum, T56 Manual & Billet short shifter, Front & Rear Slotted rotors, Pedders lowered suspension, LSD and tuned with EMS stinger 4424 347rwkw THE ED XR6 IS BOOSTED

Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:21 pm 
Smokin em up

ACT, Australia

i got monroe gt's, king super lows, and BA xr6 17"s with 35mm spacers. it rides quite well with just me in the car and 40psi apart from big bumps but with others it bottoms out on bump stops alittle bit. so if your not on super lows. should be fine. also pedders and monroe have a range on comfort shocks, monroes are sensitracs i believe.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next