4.11's 

Page 4 of 5 [ 64 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:27 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: A massive sideways utensil.

NSW, Australia

TerroristGHIA wrote:
I dont flog my car, but i do have over 600nm of torque available. My base torque with NO gas is 430nm from 3000rpm up to just over 540, and 500 to 650 on gas.
Brett
Im still shocked.. i mean.. ive seen cars with twice as mush torque as that, running the same diff and they got a lot longer than 5000kms out of a set of axels after they installed a spool.. makes me wonder if your housing is bent or it wasent installed properly, i know these axels are stronger than what most people give credit for. :?

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Your kidding me right. These axles are ok, but they are stock. I have over 70 full power passes at WSID, and countless hours on the dyno. A spool stresses the axles and they will destroy them eventually. It comes down to the way the work and the amount of stress as a result of turns etc. When the inside wheel wants to turn slower than the outside wheel, somethings gotta give, and 8 out of ten times its the tyres, but slicks make it worse and eventually the axles fail.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Im not kidding. Im very surprised... Yes slicks would be making it alot worse.. but i seriously havent ever seen this happen to a Ford Borgwarner 4 pinion 28spline live axel after just 5000kms of locking it with your power levels.
(i like your car by the way)

Im so sorry to keep draging this thread on..and on,
im not even on the original subject.
I will shut my mouth now.

XR6 conversion, CAI, 3inch intake, modified intake plenum, polished TB, 2.5inch exhaust, modified cat, pwr radiator and expansion tank, BTR, kevlar bands, JMM 3K converter, shiftkit, 3.91, 31spline spool, 31spline billet axel$, Nolathane, RDA golds, Custom interior, genuine GT's

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:41 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: el gli manwel

QLD, Australia

the ea with the lokka what happened to it no i didnt hit a tree, a pole or anything else for that matter after countless problems with the car, the last tether was a spun bearing so it left to go to the wreckers, and none of the problems had anything to do with the lokka

THE LOOSEST MUTHA FUKA YOU'VE EVER MET

Posted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
wholohan123 wrote:
DAMM im so sick of hearing all this crap about spools. There not that Fu^%*# bad!
All you guys do is criticise!
YES they can be very very dangerous!!
(If your an idiot and cant drive!, you must be able to trust yourself first!)
IF your cars suspension is not set up to handle it
you will, Yes most likley crash it!!
Ive being driving around with a locked diff (3.73:1 minispool) for over 5 years now, 3-4 times a week! and you know what??I love it! the diff hasent complained, i change the oil every 30'000kms.
Ive got good stiff suspension i have also replaced every single bush with nolathane and both swaybars with whiteline units.
I always run 235/4517s nothing any thiner. And yes it chews thru them. But thats the price im willing to pay.
Now i would hate to think what a locked diff would do on thin tyres and standard height soft suspension
you would definatly have an accident!
Besides anyone who would lock the diff in a totally standard car is a total no-brainer.
But whats the value of your own opinion??
maybe you should only give a s**t about that!
Not what any other clown thinks!
Learn from experience, not hear-say.

Mate, i had an ED XR6 with Pacies, 2.5" mandrell bent exhaust, mild cam of unknown origin, manual, 3.45:1 mini-spooled, 235/45ZR17's Pedders suspension (K-Frame sat 82mm off the deck, stiff as, no body roll, stepped out before bodyroll stood a chance) all bushes had been replaced, up rated swaybays etc, it ended up wrapped around a sound barrier. NO 18YR OLD WILL BE ABLE TO HANDLE A SPOOLED FALCON CORRECTLY

I beg to differ, however I do believe they shouldn't be used on street cars reason being streets are not designed for use with locked diffs (imperfections both of design (as for racing) and condition). As for youngsters like ourselves, i believe there are definately 18year olds who would be fine, however the majority (like myself) MENTALLY would not cope with driving day in and day out with a locked diff.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:26 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon XR6

WA, Australia

Anyone who uses a Spool on the road is a d***head.

They are illegal, and intended purpose is for off the road activitys, like track work or drags or burnouts.

The public road is not a race track.

Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:16 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Mr EL XR6 5sp wrote:
Anyone who uses a Spool on the road is a d***head.

They are illegal, and intended purpose is for off the road activitys, like track work or drags or burnouts.

The public road is not a race track.
No one said the public road is a race track,
and yes sounds like you know all about d***head.

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:21 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

not like it matters anyway cause the spool is intedened for use on the strip

Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:50 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Falcon XR6

WA, Australia

As a race car instuctor, I have found many young people think they can drive, and cant.

I was the same once.

A spool is fine on the drag strip, or even race track.

But the queston has to be asked? how will you get the car to the track?

And if it is raining, will you be able to hold back the urge to go sideways around a corner?

Post subject: Re: 4.11's
Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:00 am 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

Bump, one for the knockers, had the mini spool in my el for approximatly 4-5 months daily driven, and racked up close to 14 thousand k pulled the axles when putting the diff into my ED and they were beautiful, not twisted no cracks looked the same as the day i put the spool in.
also 67RCE how long before i started this thread did you crash your ED.
Your AU sounded sweet as on the skid pan the other week.

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

bushman wrote:
Bump, one for the knockers, had the mini spool in my el for approximatly 4-5 months daily driven, and racked up close to 14 thousand k pulled the axles when putting the diff into my ED and they were beautiful, not twisted no cracks looked the same as the day i put the spool in.
also 67RCE how long before i started this thread did you crash your ED.
Your AU sounded sweet as on the skid pan the other week.

It was 5 months before you started the thread LOL. I take back the unable to handle the spool s**t too, the oil leak affected your driving more. Or was it Captain Anal's seating position?

Cheers on the AU, BTW hurry up and get the ED done!

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: XH Ute / AU3 V8 Wagon

QLD, Australia

Just FYI, for those who don't already know. Mini-spools are for off-road use, as in DIRT, not tarmac. They were made for speedway-type shyteboxes, not drag racing. The reason they hurt axles is they only have around 1 inch of spline contact on each axle. They will twist the end off every time. Check with the big name axle makers, like Strange or Mark Williams. They give a lifetime warranty on ALL there axles, up to 40 spline, EXCEPT if using a mini-spool. If you use a mini spool you void the warranty.
A full spool, like drag cars and V8 supercars use, is a complete replacement for the centre hemisphere. The crownwheel bolts to the spool, and the axles go in the ends. Simple and very strong. Some spools can have up to 4 inches of spline contact on each axle.
If you use a spool of any type in a street-driven car, then you are a knob. Ask the advice of a proper diff shop, the good ones will say go away until you can afford a LSD.
Even a lsd in a street car can be dangerous. Many cars have been snotted into something hard because of the lsd. The single spinner is a much safer option, especially for a p-plater. Maybe even lsd's should be one of the things they cant have, as part of the vehicle restriction thingy.
That's my thoughts anyway. 8-)

Yes, I own a Ute. No, I won't help you move!

EL Wagon Build Thread http://www.fordmods.com/the-garage-f53/sooty72-s-ef-futura-wagon-long-term-project-t90025.html
XH Ute Thread http://www.fordmods.com/post1138970.html#p1138970

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Black EB 5 Speed EL Front End

QLD, Australia

i hate open wheelers in the wet cause you never know it there gonna spin double or single legger. the other week it was a bit damp and not expecting it came into a intersection and booted it and the car spun out when normally it will fry up the inside wheel. but at that same intersection when it was poring down booted it and it just spun up the inside wheel. thats why i hate them, they're unpredictable

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

jerrytorry wrote:
i hate open wheelers in the wet cause you never know it there gonna spin double or single legger. the other week it was a bit damp and not expecting it came into a intersection and booted it and the car spun out when normally it will fry up the inside wheel. but at that same intersection when it was poring down booted it and it just spun up the inside wheel. thats why i hate them, they're unpredictable

Yea i agree, in the wet they can be pretty dangerous. Epsecialy if you are turning from a T intersection and you need to boot it a bit more becasue a car might be coming over the hill or somthing, they just sit there if you try put your foot down.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Lokka FTW! acts like a single driving normally, and a spool when you are into it

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 4 of 5  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next