Fordmods Logo

4.11s in ute.. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: 4.11s in ute..
Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:40 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 11 images

NSW, Australia

Fitted 4.11 diff gears into my utes 3.5 lsd housing and wow!! I love it. Should be OE.

However its singing a tune like I never heard before.Ive been in skylines and pintaras and this is not the average whine. Ive read that 4.11 fit into ford housing but Im beginning to think only sedan housing, Is there a difference between the sedan and ute?

Can this can be rectified using the skyline 4.11s?

Thanx
mick

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:40 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

maybe one of you guys have a old pinion shaft lying around suited to the sedans and if you do tell me what numbers are stamped on the pinion shaft.

Apparently there is two distinct numbers. I have the 0578 numbered shaft originally out of my xh ute. The other number is 0575 and if this is the number from a sedan pinion shaft than the housings are different and therefore I/ ute owners cant use the skyline 4.11s.

I cant pull the 4.11s back out and check the shaft no. till next week and hoping for a little help with the no. so I can work it out during the week and hopefully find compatible gears.

thanx

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Did you set the backlash correctly?

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:46 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

yeh mate all is set up correctly. twice in fact.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:48 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

FYI utes (xh series at least) cannot use skyline/ holden 4.11 ratios. Housings/ Pinions are different.

Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

is yours a 75 or 78 series diff?

current ride: worn out chuck taylors

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:06 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

[quote="mickoxhxr8"]FYI utes (xh series at least) cannot use skyline/ holden 4.11 ratios. Housings/ Pinions are different.[/quote]

How wrong I was. I should have shares in local bearing co. but it is possible to use the 75series pinion out of skylines in the ute 78series housing.

After hours of rootn around, I found that an 80thou spacer behind the pinion gear and the removal of the shim behind the large bearing cap allows the proper allignment of the gears.

There in now and no whine. :D

Post subject: good
Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

good to hear,did u bolt them straight in and just drive it.
did u use the special white paint for checkin the meshin of the geas for heel and tow,like u said the pintara housings have a thin spacer in behind the race of the pinion,i did a similar change,xd falcon lsd centre with pintara gears/4,11,these r both 0575 series borgi diff,used the spacer from under the falcon pinion bearing(qutie a large one)and put that under the pintara pinion bearing.the end caps(races from the) r different from these two diff,the bearings r the same on the centre,but the races r different,the pintara has a thicker spacing on the cap,therefore requiring smaller shims for the crown allignment,and i think i then used the falcon shims,as the pintara is a open centre and the xd was a lsd,oh well,hope this helps someone,cyaz

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:14 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

Used the ink to align properly and tried every possible idea to get these gears to align. Initially I bolted them straight in as I said and the sound was terrible.

The 78series housing had a large diameter shim behind the large bearing cap that I removed all together.

The skyline gears had no shim at all behind the pinion gear when I got them but to align them nicely had to use the 80thou that I spoke about.

Anyone attempting this on the 78series needs a new large bearing (HM89410 Timken) that is different from the 75series and rather difficult to get. No auto shop had them particuarly when I needed it on a sat arvo.

You fellas talk about the agressive whine that these gears tend to have when fitted to the falcons. Maybe worth lookin at how these gears are meshin and throwin a spacer in as it could make all the difference on the 75series as jjs34 spoke about he has done same mod.

Post subject: hey
Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:31 am 
Stock as a Rock

QLD, Australia

hey mate,yes i had to also use a shim undr the pinion bearing(on the actual pinion gear,under it),which come from the 2.92 pinion gear.had to remove thin shim(cant remember thickness)but was very thin.which was under what i wud call the race or cup of the bearing(in the housing),these come out of the pintara(did not use this),also u pulled the gears from a pintara(right)they have 4.11. skyline have 3.89 gers,thanks

Post subject: Re: hey
Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:07 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

[quote="jjs34"]hey mate,yes i had to also use a shim undr the pinion bearing(on the actual pinion gear,under it),which come from the 2.92 pinion gear.had to remove thin shim(cant remember thickness)but was very thin.which was under what i wud call the race or cup of the bearing(in the housing),these come out of the pintara(did not use this),also u pulled the gears from a pintara(right)they have 4.11. skyline have 3.89 gers,thanks[/quote]

must of been pintara then and I hadnt an idea what part the race was but thanx

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]