Fordmods Logo

4 speed auto power/economy switch 

Page 3 of 4 [ 48 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey i have an ef fairmont on gas and was wondering does the econ/pwr switch affect gas or not?

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Reddevil wrote:
I get better fuel ecconomy with econ off. Its almost worth about an extra 25-50km a tank.

Car is more fun to drive too.

I've heard this before but I can't quiite see how that would be? If you think about it, in Power mode you rev out further causing the car to consume more fuel before it ends up at cruise speed. In Econ mode, the transmission changes earlier into the next gear so I'd have thought you're saving more fuel this way?
Fourth gear is the same ratio whether in Power or Economy mode so how do you gain an extra bit of distance out of a tank?

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

You get there quicker.. In a manual, it isn't too healthy running in 4/5th gear at 40km/h. That is pretty much what economy tries to do.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:43 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

Bozz wrote:
I'm down to 10.5L/100km around town now with the crusty 4 speed auto.... trying to make it into the 9's

Highway is averaging 7.5-8L/100km. I can get 7.5L/100km if I sit at 90km/h and there is no wind, it goes up to 8 for 100km/h and 8.4 at 110km/h.

Man, how do you get it down that low, do you have to do a lot of stop and starts at lights or not?!!?

I rekon thats were most of my fuel is going, stopping and starting all the time.

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Have to agree with one drone here. Running the car in eco/power won't make much difference to the longevity of the transmission. It's mainly up to maintance and driving style.

Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:46 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

lukieman, you've definately not got the rigth car for a delivery man. The I6s can be very economical - on the highway.

But stopping and starting with a 1200KG+ car (not sure what an EA weighs) with a thirsty 4L is not the way to economy.

My EL, returns a city economy of between 12.8-13.5 L/100 (and I've got a lead foot, and shift kit). and Highway economy down to the 8-9.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Post subject: 4 speed auto power/economy switch
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:29 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EB GLi S2

VIC, Australia

well i have an eb2 and i do 4ook's every 4 days that is my shift. i drive 30 or so k's in stop start traffic and 20 or so k's of freeway. i haver peak hr on the way or way home from work.
i drive in pwr in the stop start traffic and econ freeway i am able to get 200k's outta quater of a tank thats (23ltrs) but mind u i have had a rebuild port n polish stage 1 cam and custom made headers. b4 that was done to the car i was getting 13ltrs to the 100k's. and that was giving the car a little go here and there. i drive so the frde is comfertable for me.

it aint over till its over......

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:36 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

aufairmont wrote:
Have to agree with one drone here. Running the car in eco/power won't make much difference to the longevity of the transmission. It's mainly up to maintance and driving style.

I disagree, i have spoken to 3 mechanics now 1 of which works for FORD and they have all confirmed that driving in economy shortens the life of the box no matter what driving style. Although obviously driving style has an effect in any mode, also factors such as towing etc...

The FORD Mechanic said there is no doubt that is shortens the life although the actual amount can vary from 30,000 - 60,000km less depending on a range of factors. :) :)

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

easy way to fix this prob, buy a manual and change whenever u want too

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

pyroay wrote:
I disagree, i have spoken to 3 mechanics now 1 of which works for FORD and they have all confirmed that driving in economy shortens the life of the box no matter what driving style. Although obviously driving style has an effect in any mode, also factors such as towing etc...

The FORD Mechanic said there is no doubt that is shortens the life although the actual amount can vary from 30,000 - 60,000km less depending on a range of factors. :) :)

Based on your previous post pyro, I think this may be based on the line pressure in the gearbox. i.e. reduced line pressure for those 'lazy' shifts that economy mode produces, effectively more slippage in between gears and therefore more friction-related heat.

One thing everyone here will agree on is that heat kills BTR 4 speeds.

Similar theory to the shift-kit.... argument goes that quicker, firmer shifts result in less slippage in box and therefore less heat. Economy mode is essentially the opposite of a shift kit - gears change at lower revs with lower pressure flowing through the VPR (s5) solenoid.

Well, that's all i can think of...

4th gear is 4th gear. Spending 'more' time in OD will not harm a box (altho there may be more differential in the converter which would result in more heat)... so it must be something to do with the way it 'gets' to 4th gear... i.e. the shifts themselves. I'd also say TCC engages earlier with econoomy mode which may cause extra wear n' tear.

One thing i would focus on is driving in the appropriate style. i.e. if you're in economy mode with the box then treat the accelerator economically - giving it stick is going to cause crappy, slushy shifts under high load which anyone can see (even feel) is not good for the box.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:53 pm 
Fordmods Audio and Turbo Expert

Ride: FG Turbo Territoty Ghia

VIC, Australia

Pulco wrote:

I agree 100%.....

4.9 EF Futura: Your right regarding the friction etc... i think that was the basis of the theory, but i am backing it up with practice and others experience (although not my own).

Pro Class
1st Super Tech - Summernats 2007
Australian SQ Champion - Am Show 2004
Australian SQ Champion – Pro Show 2006 & Best of Show
Ford Champion - Melbourne 2004 & 2006
451.5wkw - now SOLD

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Well it's always simple enough to switch it to "power" when you want to treat the engine like a little b**ch... it's what it's there for. The only problem I find is that I can't just slam the pedal to the floor and hope for an early gear change in "power" mode because it'll just redline.

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

To throw another side into the argument, i have done a bit of trialing with my box. I picked up an extra 30 kms out of a tank of fuel around town on POWER.

Also, it sits in 3rd at 60 km/h in ECONOMY, 4th in POWER

The reason it chews more fuel in econ, in my car anyway, is that you need more throttle to keep the car going at the same speed, the extra drag on the engine (i though from the locked up converter but maybe not) means you need more accelerator to go the same speed, using more fuel.

Sit at 60 on a flat peice of road and hold your foot in the same sopt, and switch from one mode to the other. If you go to econ, you will start to slow down, meaning you have to open it up to stay at 60. Opposite if you go to power.

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Pulco wrote:

I stand corrected. I am sure that if you went to Ford with a dead gearbox and claimed it was the economy mode that they'd just laugh at you and hand you he receipt for a new gearbox.

Manual conversions are easier said than done. Especially if you're looking at higher rwkw outputs, or even if you have a V8. $2500 for a second hand T5 that are rarely for sale?? lol I'll be right...

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

Yeah but you know that manual is better Drone. Would any one like to tell me how many T5 boxes they have blown up cause this whole not being able to handle power idea is bull s**t in my oppinion. I have not seen a manual box give way due to excessive power, only due to rough gear changes and smashing syncro teeth. Whilst Im asking, any one wanna say how many autos they have smashed too?

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 4  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next