Fordmods Logo

$880 for monroe + king superlows + new rear leaf? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: $880 for monroe + king superlows + new rear leaf?
Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:53 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: XB Ute

NSW, Australia

Hey guys just been ringing around to get some suspension prices and ive got a quote of $884 for 4 x monroe GT gas and 2 x king superlows and 2 brand new 2 inch drop reset leaf.

Is this price ok or is there better? also are monroe shocks good? Could you recomend me other brands.

Pedders wanted $1000 fitted for big bore shocks, springs and resetting of the current leaf or not fitted for $660. Which is a better option?

cheers

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Anyone?

Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:04 pm 
Smokin em up

VIC, Australia

Hmm from what i have heard Monroe aernt the best of shocks. Springs should be about $200 (for 4) i think + your choice of shockers most people seem to rate shockers like this -> monroe -> kyb -> pedders sportsryders -> koni -> blistein.

As for the leaf part i got no idea. I guess it all comes down to how much you want to improve handling and how deep is your wallet, or you just want the dumped look.

Try ringing around as many places as you can. Could also try looking at the packages at www.whiteline.com.au

EDIT: Also have a look at one the site sponsors they do suspension stuff. http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=32&sid=

1996 5spd EF2 XR6 - Genuine AJR's, full kit........

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:07 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Monroe aren't bad, but I wouldn't get them if you're upgrading. Ive got pedders all round in mine, and I had lowering blocks in the back, handles good, but the back can be heaps better.

So me and Waggin got brand new Kings Superlow leaf springs, which should be good once in, and I got a Kmac swaybar for the rear of the wagon. This should keep the wagon nice, and should handle good.
The whole point of my bragging on, is that pedders are good lol. Just buy parts from them, don't let them do labour. Oh and I got quoted $445 for resetting my leafs with a new leaf at pedders, and then apparently I needed new bushes, ubolts, and something else...

So I would suggest looking around first... you can get some second hand king springs for cheap as, for the front, stick them on some pedders/KYB/bilstein shocks, and then get the king leafs, with the same shocks in the back as the front. The King leafs were $300, dunno about shocks, and then the time and satisfaction of doing it yourself.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

dude, for the leaf springs, go and see archie at liverpool springs, i just got mine done, extra leaf and reset 2.5" lower for $160.

justfordima, dude you are getting ripped off, you dont need new u bolts, std ones will work fine, and i would nearly bet my left nut they will just send em to liverpool springs anyway.

when i had my xb i got 2 extra leaves and a rebound leaf plus reset 3" lower and it was the best thing i ever did to it, handled better and never axel tramped, from memory it cost around 240.

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:43 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I know I was getting ripped off, thats why I told them to suck their red d**k... just relly quietly lol.

the cheapest quote I got was $130, basic reset. no extra leafs, but both sides. but thats with bring them the springs. and $210 with an extra leaf. so I thought $300 for brand newies was the best option.

yobboford - whats the stiffness like after the extra leaf? what else is in there? and how does it handle?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 80 series cruiser

NSW, Australia

not too stiff, handles great, 160 was for both sides, bring it to them.

i have pedders comfort gas all round and pedders grey springs at the front, handles good, but i went for the comfort gas as the mrs has to drive it everyday, with something better it would be great.

cheers Rob

Thanks to Crescent Motors, Liverpool.
Call Joe on (02) 9600 6229.

I dont own a Landcruiser, it's a Maverick recovery vehicle!!!!

Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:54 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

if i was to buy the parts off pedders and do it myself, are there any specialty tools i would need?

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:44 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

they are replacement of your parts, you'd need some sockets + ratchet, and you could probably get away without the spanners, but you might need those aswell. And thats basically it, apart from cooperation tools (hammers, pinch bars, axels, spare wheels, jacks, bigger hammers, etc...).

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 6:20 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

Yea ive got all that stuff for sure, how long does it take to do?

Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The fronts aren't too hard, especially cos you don't have the struts. just take out the shock, three bolts up the top, and one down the bottom (from memory) I think they are 15's. The one down the bottom is bigger, 19 or 17 or something. Then you pull out the spring, after the shock comes out, (watch your face,might have to pry.. those things hurt when they hit you.).. from there put in the new, done. The new shorter springs are alot easier to put back in. At the rear, you'll have to undo the shock from the bottom, and from behind the rear seat. Then the u bolts, and the bushes, on the chassis. Its all straight forward, just look at where it attaches, and de attach lol. Shouldn't take too long, first time maybe.. give it 3 hours to allow for stuff ups. Make sure you have everything with you, so you don't have to drive to the shops with no shocks... :roll:

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:13 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hey fellas with the new king springs!
Is the car sitting at the same height side to side?

I was told when i looked at buying them that they are a great leaf spring. Handles really well, the only problem is that each car is different in terms of mounting. Things can be out by as much as 10mm from side to side. I know that my wagon (xf) is 15mm in height different from left to right. To correct this the leaf on the the left is slightly stiffer than the leaf on the right. If i were to put kings in the height would be lower but one side would still be higher than the other.

The solution is, before r**ting around with them measure your cars height from side to side. If its the same your in business, go and get the kings if its not i would get them reset.

With the cost, i got quoted $220 for the reset. I take the springs to them. This gets me the reset spring, polyurethane in the eyes, new poly slides and new rubber pads between the leafs and there brackets.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:23 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hmm.. did mine today, and it sits evenly on both sides as far as I can see.

The car does handle ALOT better now. Would definately recommend. Ive got them in there with 2-2.5" lowering blocks, and it sits perfect. And now my front pedders aren't low enough.. so more lowering to do lol.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]