Fordmods Logo

9 inch into eb 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: 9 inch into eb
Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:56 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1993 eb xr6 falcon

VIC, Australia

hi i can get a 9 inch just wondering if it will be worth getting for my eb just wanting to know what i need to make the convertion like drive shafts, yolks ect and any other stuff u guys can tell me that would be great thanks. :)

Post subject: Re: 9 inch into eb
Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:33 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: eb xr6

SA, Australia

Dont do it,the standard diff can be beefed up to handle a lot of HP.The 9 inch is way to heavy with what you spend on a 9inch you will have a very strong BW diff.How much HP is your car making?

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1993 eb xr6 falcon

VIC, Australia

its just a stock ticky motor standerd xr6 yeah i didnt think it would drive it guy reakons its already set up for e series but i dont want it if its gona make it a slug so not enough ponys to drive it? thanks :roll:

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

What do you want to use the diff for is more the question?

Yes you can build a strong BW diff, but the s**t cone set up still won't last long if it is intended for burnouts or aggressive track work. If you only intend for it to be your daily and see the strip/track occasionally then it will be fine though.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

skidder wrote:

Yes you can build a strong BW diff, but the s**t cone set up still won't last long if it is intended for burnouts or aggressive track work. If you only intend for it to be your daily and see the strip/track occasionally then it will be fine though.

Maybe so, but there are other options apart from the cone type LSD setup. You could go for a clutch pack LSD like a KAAZ, or a mechanical centre like a 4wd Systems Lokka. Then, you can also get a spool if that tickles your fancy. For just daily use, the factory LSD is fine. For strip/track usage, i would lean to a KAAZ or 4WD systems Lokka, depending on budget.

A KAAZ is about $1600 and far more superior to any other centre available for a BW diff. If you are on a budget, the 4WD Systems Lokka will do the job just fine. I have one in my car, it gets daily'd and does not cause me any drama's. It cost me about $650 installed, dropped my 60' time by 0.2sec without any other changes, so traction is better with it over a standard LSD.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

If it was a 300+rwkw turbo drift/street car then I would fit
a 9 inch with detroit locker and top loader with wide ratio gearing.
A decent lsd will do on a na street car....

Member Number 8804

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

MadMatt wrote:

Why? Rollin's 317rwkw ED Turbo streeter/drifter runs a 31 spline Powertrax Locker in an AU BW78 and it cops hell. He also has a T56 and 3.73 diff gears, so it fukken moves (12sec 1/4's in FULL street trim, right down to 235/45R17 STREET RUBBER). Also, HiBoost has run a 9.6@140mph in his EL Turbo with a BW78 and a spooled 3.08 centre. A 9" is overkill for 99.999% of E-Series. Fritzz and TurboTony are the only people I can think of with 9" diffs in E-Series and they are both pumping well over 400rwkw. Infact, TurboTony has 423rwkw and Fritzz 468rwkw.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
skidder wrote:

Maybe so, but there are other options apart from the cone type LSD setup. You could go for a clutch pack LSD like a KAAZ, or a mechanical centre like a 4wd Systems Lokka. Then, you can also get a spool if that tickles your fancy. For just daily use, the factory LSD is fine. For strip/track usage, i would lean to a KAAZ or 4WD systems Lokka, depending on budget.

Yes, I used to have a lokka and bang for buck it is the best diff option. If it is a 100% street driven car I wouldn't recommend it though, hence wondering what he uses it for.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Wagon Turbo, Ba Fairlane G220

VIC, Australia

I have a 9 inch in mine. But it will be pumping some power out and it only went in there because of one of those right place right time things but they are good if you can do it why not but in saying that if you are just running stock motor I wouldn't waste time and effort.

67RCE wrote:
MadMatt wrote:

Why? Rollin's 317rwkw ED Turbo streeter/drifter runs a 31 spline Powertrax Locker in an AU BW78 and it cops hell. He also has a T56 and 3.73 diff gears, so it fukken moves (12sec 1/4's in FULL street trim, right down to 235/45R17 STREET RUBBER). Also, HiBoost has run a 9.6@140mph in his EL Turbo with a BW78 and a spooled 3.08 centre. A 9" is overkill for 99.999% of E-Series. Fritzz and TurboTony are the only people I can think of with 9" diffs in E-Series and they are both pumping well over 400rwkw. Infact, TurboTony has 423rwkw and Fritzz 468rwkw.

Congo Green Ba Wagon With F6 6 Speed Manual Driveline.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

skidder wrote:
67RCE wrote:
skidder wrote:

Yes, I used to have a lokka and bang for buck it is the best diff option. If it is a 100% street driven car I wouldn't recommend it though, hence wondering what he uses it for.

Have you experienced one in a 100% street car? Mine is a 100% street car that has seen Willowbank twice in two years. Ive done 7500km's on street with the Lokka in my car. The only "problem" that I have is sometimes it makes some noises if I don't put the car in neutral for a tight turn with no throttle. IMHO if you are only looking for a traction aid to avoid wheelspin in normal driving, a standard LSD will be fine. If you want something that will last some very hard driving, the Lokka would be the best cheap way, but the KAAZ would be the ideal solution.

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

I had one in my EL, which was my daily but also took to the track occasionally and I agree with you; clicking drove me nuts though and had to be careful downchanging in the wet. By 100% streetcar I mean one that you don't take to the track and would only see normal driving?

EVL098 wrote:

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

For regular street use, a stock LSD would be fine, yes. My Lokka has modified springs, so it is smoother engaging and disengaging. I only get it making noises on occasions. I put the Lokka in as I killed a standard LSD, which was abused before I got it as I got receipts for a rebuild on it at 60k, I got it at 140k.

In short, are you going to be driving this spiritedly or not. If not, the stock LSD will do you fine. If you are intending on driving it hard, how much do you want to spend? A Lokka will set you back around $600 + install, A KAAZ on the other hand will be around $1500+ install.

Posted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

For regular street use, a stock LSD would be fine, yes. My Lokka has modified springs, so it is smoother engaging and disengaging. I only get it making noises on occasions. I put the Lokka in as I killed a standard LSD, which was abused before I got it as I got receipts for a rebuild on it at 60k, I got it at 140k.

In short, are you going to be driving this spiritedly or not. If not, the stock LSD will do you fine. If you are intending on driving it hard, how much do you want to spend? A Lokka will set you back around $600 + install, A KAAZ on the other hand will be around $1500+ install.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]