Fordmods Logo

98 EL auto in limp mode WHY??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: 98 EL auto in limp mode WHY???
Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 1:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

driving the car yesterday along the motorway, a click is heard down in the foot well, then auto changes to 3 gear, so do a KOKO trick (at 100ks of course) :wink: , auto comes right, hops into overdrive, sweet so far, drive home from airport no problems, get into car this morning and have third gear only in the auto, tried KOKO, dissconnect battery , remove EEC , Removed autotransmission computor and give sniff test followed by open up and have a look, all looks good, no burning or indication of heat, replace and re try, no change, remove auto TX fuse and hear clicking from both auto computor and the tranny, there were check eng lights or warning light lit up at all. anyideas :?:

Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: Oettinger Golf GTI

NSW, Australia

Inhibitor Switch

They tend to break/have bad contact inside or just wear out eventually .. some quicker then others

You can rip it all apart yourself and fix it or get a second hand one for approx $40 from any wrecker.. 2x 8mm bolts on the passenger side (little white sort of u box) on the transmission box underneath.. if u need instructions drop me a PM ..

Post subject: EL limp mode solution
Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

update,
got a friend at a ford deal to scan the computor, fault indicated in inhibitor switch and the S2 soleniod, have replaced the S2 and so far it is working normally 8-) , I will do the inhibtor switch once i get time to climb underneath again

Cheers

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:59 pm 
Oompa Loompa

NSW, Australia

hey dude was the solinoid difficult to change yourself?
cause i had one break on my car and ford charged 400 bucks to fix it.

thanks.

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 5:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

lostdude,

the solenoid is fairly straight forward and easy to do..

its just a small torx bit to undo it (2x) and just take it out basically after you've dropped the valve body slightly (not completely)

it jsut pops out and just replace it with a new one and reconnect hte plug and tighten it all back up

it actually is as easy as it sounds! much easier on a hoist then it would be @ home tho ill tell you that much! although tdepends on how u are under small spaces :P ill post up some pix this arvo of it for you

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

There is no need to drop the valve body even slightly, can either use a torx bit on a ratchet or easier still an allen key. the new soleniods have a fine filter on them, guess they have found a way to make them last longer.

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA Turbo

VIC, Australia

I didn't know that EL's had a seperate TCU?

I have the same problem in my '91 EA2. I bought the trans second hand last year for $170 and fitted it, it was fine for one day, but since then I've had this weird problem. I've asked on FF but noone has been able shed any light on it.

Anyways, what happens is, when it's been sitting overnight I start it up and head up the street all is fine, then when I get to the hill up my street apply some more stick to the accelerator I get a clicking noise from the TCU and it goes in to Limp Home Mode (LOS or whatever). If I restart the car straight away (still cold) it goes back in to LOS straight away, but when it's warm if I restart it, it doesn't do it for the rest of the day.

It's really starting to piss me off but since the trans aint worth spending money on (when the auto heats up from too much curry I get a thumpy changes) I want to fix it on the cheap.

If anyone know what this could be I'd love to know!

I've tried resetting the TCM, replacing the TCM, replacing the trans loom, replacing the transducer and all sorts of s**t but to no avail.

1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Resprayed|microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Wade turbo cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 conversion|Built bottom end|10.6@125MPHi

Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

This happened to me, twice, and both times it was the solenoid in the box. Your best bet is to get a second hand solenoid (s5)....

just my opinion/experience...

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]