Fordmods Logo

ABS.. how to tell? 

 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
 Post subject: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Hi all,

My EL has ABS... I know this because the wheels have the sensors and there is an abs module rivited inside the passanger front guard.... but I can't tell from actually braking.....

shouldn't it pulse when you jam your foot down hard?

ta

Frank
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 32

Posts: 1833

Joined: 3rd May 2007

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

Location: South Coast
NSW, Australia

if your standing on it and it's not locking it's usually a pretty good sign it has abs and it's functioning properly$...

abs pulses a few times a second which means you shouldn't feel it, cars u feel it it in can generally be attributed to warped rotors, caused in part by the abs, and the chewing gum ford uses to produce rotors.

 

_________________

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

Good to know thanks..

Tomorrow I shall go for a spin and see if I can lock them up...
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 49

Posts: 6467

Joined: 18th Dec 2006

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

Location: Rockhampton
QLD, Australia

Do it on a dirt road, you only need goto about 20 kmh and stand on it. You'll feel the brake pedal pulse like hell, and as you get slower, you'll here the wheels skid and stop skidding as it comes to a stop.

 

_________________

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 pm 
Smokin em up
Offline
User avatar

Posts: 214

Joined: 7th Nov 2006

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

Location: Melbourne
VIC, Australia

when u turn the car on the ABS light should come on and then turn off after 5 seconds. if its not doing that the ABS might be disabled or the globe blown.
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:49 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

cjh wrote:
Do it on a dirt road, you only need goto about 20 kmh and stand on it. You'll feel the brake pedal pulse like hell, and as you get slower, you'll here the wheels skid and stop skidding as it comes to a stop.


The ABS doesn't even work below 40km/h

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2098

Joined: 19th Jan 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 5L 5 speed Fairmont Ghia

Location: St Maoris
NSW, Australia

The easiest way to tell (with the EF/EL/AU, not sure about the others) is to count the number of metal lines that come off the side of the master cylinder. If there is 2, the car has ABS. If there are 3 lines, the car does not.
The ABS light on the dash should light up for a few seconds when the car is started. If it remains on, there is an issue.
To tell whether it is working or not, try to lock them up :wink:

 

_________________

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:24 pm 
Technical Contributor
Offline
User avatar

Age: 38

Posts: 4093

Joined: 20th Mar 2005

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

Location: Seaford State:
VIC, Australia

Damn, I was going to say the same thing.

 

_________________

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:20 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

a_total_tool wrote:
The easiest way to tell (with the EF/EL/AU, not sure about the others) is to count the number of metal lines that come off the side of the master cylinder. If there is 2, the car has ABS. If there are 3 lines, the car does not.
The ABS light on the dash should light up for a few seconds when the car is started. If it remains on, there is an issue.
To tell whether it is working or not, try to lock them up :wink:


The car has sensors and wires on all wheels and a big a$$ed abs thingy behind the passenger side front bar riveted to the chassis rails with lots of brake lines running out of it.. so guessing it does in fact have abs. :-)

dash is a fairlaine job and I've not seen an abs light.... what does it look like?
Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3531

Joined: 5th Nov 2004

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

Location: uoʇǝlƃuıs lʍoq ʇsnp
NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
cjh wrote:
Do it on a dirt road, you only need goto about 20 kmh and stand on it. You'll feel the brake pedal pulse like hell, and as you get slower, you'll here the wheels skid and stop skidding as it comes to a stop.


The ABS doesn't even work below 40km/h


Mine does and many other do too, I had mine work last night reversing down a wet driveway.

 

_________________

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant) http://tmacmechanical.com.au/

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 31

Posts: 2098

Joined: 19th Jan 2005

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 5L 5 speed Fairmont Ghia

Location: St Maoris
NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
a_total_tool wrote:
The easiest way to tell (with the EF/EL/AU, not sure about the others) is to count the number of metal lines that come off the side of the master cylinder. If there is 2, the car has ABS. If there are 3 lines, the car does not.
The ABS light on the dash should light up for a few seconds when the car is started. If it remains on, there is an issue.
To tell whether it is working or not, try to lock them up :wink:


The car has sensors and wires on all wheels and a big a$$ed abs thingy behind the passenger side front bar riveted to the chassis rails with lots of brake lines running out of it.. so guessing it does in fact have abs. :-)

dash is a fairlaine job and I've not seen an abs light.... what does it look like?


I don't know where it is on a fairlane (I can check the workshop manual when I get home), but on a low/mid series, it is between the tripmeter reset button and the economy/cruise lights, and all mine is is a red light that says 'check A.B.S'.

I shall edit this post with the high series location (unless someone posts it in here first)
Having the ABS module would be a good indication that you may have ABS, but do you only have 2 lines that run down from the master cylinder? The non ABS models have 3 lines that come from the master cylinder - one to the back, and one to each front wheel. The ABS equipped models will only have the 2 lines that come from the master cylinder and they go straight to the ABS module.

 

_________________

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator
Offline
User avatar

Age: 36

Posts: 6275

Joined: 24th Nov 2004

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

Location: Canberra
ACT, Australia

Macca wrote:
data_mine wrote:
cjh wrote:
Do it on a dirt road, you only need goto about 20 kmh and stand on it. You'll feel the brake pedal pulse like hell, and as you get slower, you'll here the wheels skid and stop skidding as it comes to a stop.


The ABS doesn't even work below 40km/h


Mine does and many other do too, I had mine work last night reversing down a wet driveway.


That's not what the doco says on the matter. (40 is definitely the figure on the SRS system, ABS may be different)

Plus the below X speed disables the ABS, because ABS actually take longer to stop, than a locked wheel (which is longer than a proper threshold brake), so for those last few metres of a emergency stop, it'll lock the wheels to bring you up quicker.

I'll say that again, ABS does not make you stop quicker, if gives you the ability to steer around an obstacle when locked fronts wouldn't. (so don't start tailgating, because - ooh I've got ABS it'll save me)

 

_________________

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow - 97.5rwkw
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. 293rwkw - 12.427@109 - 0-1000m 24.838@221

Top
 Profile  
 
 
 Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways
Offline
User avatar

Age: 45

Posts: 3440

Joined: 23rd Dec 2007

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

Location: Perth
WA, Australia

a_total_tool wrote:
I don't know where it is on a fairlane (I can check the workshop manual when I get home), but on a low/mid series, it is between the tripmeter reset button and the economy/cruise lights, and all mine is is a red light that says 'check A.B.S'.

I shall edit this post with the high series location (unless someone posts it in here first)
Having the ABS module would be a good indication that you may have ABS, but do you only have 2 lines that run down from the master cylinder? The non ABS models have 3 lines that come from the master cylinder - one to the back, and one to each front wheel. The ABS equipped models will only have the 2 lines that come from the master cylinder and they go straight to the ABS module.



Right you are, there are only 2 lines... bottom one appears to be missing. Just went out and there is an abs light on the dash near the odo reset... comes on for a few seconds after ignition then goes off... guess that means it's all working then.. funny that I never noticed it there before....
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:
Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

 

 

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:28 pm All times are UTC + 11 hours

 

 

(c)2014 Total Web Solutions Australia - Australian Web Hosting and Domain Names