Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 32 images

Ride: BA XR6T (mix of BA, BF and FG)

WA, Australia

Hi all,

My EL has ABS... I know this because the wheels have the sensors and there is an abs module rivited inside the passanger front guard.... but I can't tell from actually braking.....

shouldn't it pulse when you jam your foot down hard?

ta

Frank

Post subject: Re: ABS.. how to tell?
Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

if your standing on it and it's not locking it's usually a pretty good sign it has abs and it's functioning properly$...

abs pulses a few times a second which means you shouldn't feel it, cars u feel it it in can generally be attributed to warped rotors, caused in part by the abs, and the chewing gum ford uses to produce rotors.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Good to know thanks..

Tomorrow I shall go for a spin and see if I can lock them up...

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Do it on a dirt road, you only need goto about 20 kmh and stand on it. You'll feel the brake pedal pulse like hell, and as you get slower, you'll here the wheels skid and stop skidding as it comes to a stop.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:40 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Territory TS TDCi

VIC, Australia

when u turn the car on the ABS light should come on and then turn off after 5 seconds. if its not doing that the ABS might be disabled or the globe blown.

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:49 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

cjh wrote:
Do it on a dirt road, you only need goto about 20 kmh and stand on it. You'll feel the brake pedal pulse like hell, and as you get slower, you'll here the wheels skid and stop skidding as it comes to a stop.

The ABS doesn't even work below 40km/h

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

The easiest way to tell (with the EF/EL/AU, not sure about the others) is to count the number of metal lines that come off the side of the master cylinder. If there is 2, the car has ABS. If there are 3 lines, the car does not.
The ABS light on the dash should light up for a few seconds when the car is started. If it remains on, there is an issue.
To tell whether it is working or not, try to lock them up :wink:

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:24 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: 2.0 Turbo VW

Power: 142 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Damn, I was going to say the same thing.

Carefree, we may not be number one, but we're up there.

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

a_total_tool wrote:
The easiest way to tell (with the EF/EL/AU, not sure about the others) is to count the number of metal lines that come off the side of the master cylinder. If there is 2, the car has ABS. If there are 3 lines, the car does not.
The ABS light on the dash should light up for a few seconds when the car is started. If it remains on, there is an issue.

The car has sensors and wires on all wheels and a big a$$ed abs thingy behind the passenger side front bar riveted to the chassis rails with lots of brake lines running out of it.. so guessing it does in fact have abs. :-)

dash is a fairlaine job and I've not seen an abs light.... what does it look like?

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

data_mine wrote:
cjh wrote:

Mine does and many other do too, I had mine work last night reversing down a wet driveway.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: Blue and White Mercedes

NSW, Australia

frankieh wrote:
a_total_tool wrote:

The car has sensors and wires on all wheels and a big a$$ed abs thingy behind the passenger side front bar riveted to the chassis rails with lots of brake lines running out of it.. so guessing it does in fact have abs. :-)

dash is a fairlaine job and I've not seen an abs light.... what does it look like?

I don't know where it is on a fairlane (I can check the workshop manual when I get home), but on a low/mid series, it is between the tripmeter reset button and the economy/cruise lights, and all mine is is a red light that says 'check A.B.S'.

I shall edit this post with the high series location (unless someone posts it in here first)
Having the ABS module would be a good indication that you may have ABS, but do you only have 2 lines that run down from the master cylinder? The non ABS models have 3 lines that come from the master cylinder - one to the back, and one to each front wheel. The ABS equipped models will only have the 2 lines that come from the master cylinder and they go straight to the ABS module.

Remember kids, the more pages of crap in your build thread, the bigger your e-penis is

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

Macca wrote:
data_mine wrote:
cjh wrote:

Mine does and many other do too, I had mine work last night reversing down a wet driveway.

That's not what the doco says on the matter. (40 is definitely the figure on the SRS system, ABS may be different)

Plus the below X speed disables the ABS, because ABS actually take longer to stop, than a locked wheel (which is longer than a proper threshold brake), so for those last few metres of a emergency stop, it'll lock the wheels to bring you up quicker.

I'll say that again, ABS does not make you stop quicker, if gives you the ability to steer around an obstacle when locked fronts wouldn't. (so don't start tailgating, because - ooh I've got ABS it'll save me)

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

a_total_tool wrote:
I don't know where it is on a fairlane (I can check the workshop manual when I get home), but on a low/mid series, it is between the tripmeter reset button and the economy/cruise lights, and all mine is is a red light that says 'check A.B.S'.

I shall edit this post with the high series location (unless someone posts it in here first)
Having the ABS module would be a good indication that you may have ABS, but do you only have 2 lines that run down from the master cylinder? The non ABS models have 3 lines that come from the master cylinder - one to the back, and one to each front wheel. The ABS equipped models will only have the 2 lines that come from the master cylinder and they go straight to the ABS module.

Right you are, there are only 2 lines... bottom one appears to be missing. Just went out and there is an abs light on the dash near the odo reset... comes on for a few seconds after ignition then goes off... guess that means it's all working then.. funny that I never noticed it there before....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]