Fordmods Logo

Adjustable panhard rod for NF Fairlane 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Adjustable panhard rod for NF Fairlane
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:19 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Went into the local Pedders today to find out a price on a adjustable panhard rod and I was told that they were never made! Is this true or if not who makes them and where can I get one?

Cheers, Justin

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Post subject: Re: Adjustable panhard rod for NF Fairlane
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 17 images

Ride: 5.0lt NF /351 ZD Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Never heard of them for these models

NF Fairlane with 5.0 and 5 speed goodness!
XE Fairmont Ghia

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:35 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yeah I wasnt sure myself either but even for a Falcon he said they wont fit. I thought the wheelbase was the only difference with these but anyway. My cars already been lowered 2 inches but looking at a bit more drop but not keen on having the diff sticking out to one side.

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

This is correct. Panhard rods are mainly in Live axle Commodores, Falcons on the otherhand have a Watts link, see diagrams below...

There is no need to replace these links as it 'self adjusts' in a way, when you lower the car the diff stays centralised. When you lower a Commodore for instance the Panhard rod pushes the diff out sideways, so an adjustable rod is required.

The only real improvement you can make to a Watts link setup is to change the bushings in the links to make them more ridgid.

FALCON:

COMMODORE:

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:36 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Falcons don't have panhard bars... Only commodores had the stupid idea of a panhard bar...

Your falcon has a watt's link...

Difference is this:

Panhard bar... One straight solid bar that one end bolts to the body and the other to one of the diff tubes to hold the diff central... Major disadvantage: When you lower the car the diff moves to one side and one wheel scraps the outter mudguard, the other scraps the inner...

Watts link... Two bars... each one has one end that bolts to body, the other ends pivot between two plates which bolts to diff... Does exactly the same thing, holds the diff in the middle... But when you lower the car the pivoting watts link only lets the diff go up dead vertical so the diff does not move off-centre... Dearer system... But then Falcons were always the better car 8-)

Hope this clears it up a bit...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

fordman saved me the hassle :roll:

Good pics to btw...

Cheers,
Tim

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Thanks heaps for that! Had the car 12 months and still havent learnt it all about them but sounds like a much better design than the Commodores. Atleast I can now lower the car without any major hassles.

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:46 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Falcons always seemed to have the better suspension design...

For some reason so many young people here love they commodores... They are mostly dead s**t and cut the springs down to about a third of their factory height and wonder why they get all these scrapping noises :roll: There was one here where your hand wouldn't fit up inside the mudgaurd on side and there was 2 inches on the other side... Doesn't help the track...

Just ask the guys here what they think about commodore IRS in their utes... :roll: haha

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:51 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

Yeah we have plenty of Commodores around here with the same sorta s**t, dumped and scrapping and they love it! LOL. My brother was going to buy one but got him into a neat EF Falcon with 12 months rego for $1500 and he's loving it because not many people around here get into Fords and hes part of the hand full of people that actually modify E Series Falcons.

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

I virtually have ultralow springs in my VL, i've taken out the spring cushions to drop it even more, for that 'muzza' effect haha, bumpstops are taking a beating :oops: . But you're right Tim, i can't even get my little finger in between the guard and the tyre on one side but can fit my foot in on the other side, i don't get any (much :P ) tyre rubbing though.

Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

haha each to their own... Commodore bodies don't do much for me... But love the E series shape... The falcon always seems to be the better engineered car and I love mine... 9 out of 10 things you modify work out fairly easy and not too hard to do...

None of the commodore guys here could afford springs (hence why they cut them) so they would never in a million years buy an adjustable panhard bar... (Should just tell them to cut and weld it now I think about it... haha see how long it takes before they break) although not many live axle commos here lately... Few VT, VX's and a s**t load of VE's lately... Banks must be loving the business...

Cheer,s
Tim

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

before the xe came out lots of people played with panhard type arrangements for leaf spring cars to locate the diff while cornering. I nearly did it.

Nolothane/superpro has reduced the need i guess

Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:04 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

IIRC Panhard rods were reasonably common with performance leaf spring setups (aftermarket setup that is) - they were cheap to implement, and the longer the rod, and placement of the chassis pivot, made the arc of travel rounder, so the axle sideways movement was reduced.

As mentioned, yes the watts linkage is superior.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL XR8

SA, Australia

In theory it shouldn't move across but it still does.

I can show you on my XR8 the difference from unloaded to loaded is about 20mm across to the drivers side.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:07 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura / FG XR6 / DF LTD

NSW, Australia

fordman351 wrote:
This is correct. Panhard rods are mainly in Live axle Commodores, Falcons on the otherhand have a Watts link, see diagrams below...

There is no need to replace these links as it 'self adjusts' in a way, when you lower the car the diff stays centralised. When you lower a Commodore for instance the Panhard rod pushes the diff out sideways, so an adjustable rod is required.

The only real improvement you can make to a Watts link setup is to change the bushings in the links to make them more ridgid.

FALCON:

COMMODORE:

The one huge improvement you can make to a watts link is to have the centre pivot adjustable in the vertical plane to alter the rear roll centre , this makes tuning the suspension a dream and vastly enhances handling in variable condirions .

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next