Fordmods Logo

alloy or steel tailshaft 

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: alloy or steel tailshaft
Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:56 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

hi
i just posted something like this in the speed limiters are good topic rather than steel someones topic i will start one..
i think its a good topic for debait..

?? what is stronger alloy tailshaft or a steel one????

i get mixed answers when i ask this question ??

i personaly think the steel one is stronger..
i thought they used the alloy one to save weight. plus being lighter less drag on the drive line giving more hp at wheels????

also my ea spac has a steel tailshaft which i think all ea's have..
and it doesnt have a speed limiter and it has clocked well over the 180km per hour ..
and my old eb xr8 ex police car had a steel tailshaft with no speed limiter.
and i have a mate who has a eb ghia v8 it has a alloy tailshaft . and it is speed limited to 180km per hour

?? what about the old valiant RT chargers they were getting about 130mph
aprox (210kms per hour) and they had steel tailshafts same as the famous GT falcon...

so from what ive seen i would say the steel one is stronger.
what do you guys think???

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Steel is stronger under torque but alloy is better at higher speeds even though alloy shafts are tested at 1200 nm over around 150,000 cycles. If you have seen a drive shaft rotating around 10,000 rpm but in slow motion you can see it actually bending. Now steel being heavier it tends to bend/flex more at higher speeds causing imbalance and eventually giving way. Some solutions for this is either use alloy or the most expensive way shorten the driveshaft tube by splitting which is esentually a 2 pce shaft. If you are dragging your car and have some sick motor go with a 3 1/4 inch steel shaft. Most proffesional drag cars have a shortened driveshaft as the diff yoke is longer than standard

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

for stock units, the alloy ones are stronger, just ask data_mine

for aftermarket units, you can get steel tailshafts stronger than alloy, but at a wieght handicap, greater wieght=greater potential for harmonic vibrations to actually start throwing some weight around, all of a sudden you've got a heavier steel tailshaft whipping around before either bending and ripping the slip yoke out of the box or breaking the uni's and dropping the tailshaft onto the ground....

Banned

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

aluminium is a stronger material. as steel is more brittle. you've got more chance of warping an alloy and snaping a steel

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:44 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6 5sp

NSW, Australia

So can someone tell me definitively whether or not my 96 EF xr6 5sp came out of the factory with a steel or alloy tailshaft?

as i have a steel one?

cheers
Tim

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:06 am 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

XRs were supposed to get alloy shafts (as did LWB s/wagons and 'lanes).

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:13 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

s**t go

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TimXR6 wrote:
s**t go
wtf?

Banned

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:26 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ie that sucks

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:50 am 

NSW, Australia

ok

i would like to know if the alloy tailshaft is stronger why are the cars speed limited???????????????? :?

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

an extra safety measure? besides..... you'd only be going that fast in either the territory or on a racetrack, if you're gonna hit the limiter on a public road, you derserve to cop a smack round the head from the tailshaft

Banned

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:32 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XW / BF Falcons

VIC, Australia

For anyone interested to know the reals reasons, Ford went to an aluminium tailshaft because it absorbs more vibration than a steel item which makes the ride seem smoother. It is also lighter, but this is negligible when rotating under normal balanced conditions. They (the cars) are speed restricted to 180 km/h because the Ford engineers designed the wall thickness accodingly to minimise the material used. Aluminium is a third of the weight of steel but is about 3 times as much in cost. Any small reduction in costs adds up over thousands of vehicles. When travelling at 180 km/h the tailshaft is spinning at approximately 5000 (depending of diff ratios) and being a softer material it flexes more than steel. At high rotational speeds the centre between the 2 uni joints bends away from the tailshaft centreline. If this bends past the materials allowable yeild strenght it tears apart. This should never be an issue on Australian roads. Anyone who is doing trackwork is strongly advised to have a steel tailshaft fabricated if their speeds are getting to or above 180 km/h.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Myke wrote:
For anyone interested to know the reals reasons, Ford went to an aluminium tailshaft because it absorbs more vibration than a steel item which makes the ride seem smoother. It is also lighter, but this is negligible when rotating under normal balanced conditions. They (the cars) are speed restricted to 180 km/h because the Ford engineers designed the wall thickness accodingly to minimise the material used. Aluminium is a third of the weight of steel but is about 3 times as much in cost. Any small reduction in costs adds up over thousands of vehicles. When travelling at 180 km/h the tailshaft is spinning at approximately 5000 (depending of diff ratios) and being a softer material it flexes more than steel. At high rotational speeds the centre between the 2 uni joints bends away from the tailshaft centreline. If this bends past the materials allowable yeild strenght it tears apart. This should never be an issue on Australian roads. Anyone who is doing trackwork is strongly advised to have a steel tailshaft fabricated if their speeds are getting to or above 180 km/h.

Firstly alloy does not absorb more vibration, its simply lighter reducing the amount of flex and in turn imbalance. secondly Ford had nothing to do with the design of the shafts but gave dimensions for max and min length, also fitting dimensions. The shaft actually is balanced at 3200 rpm (160km/k)

Sorry but its alittle frustraing when you see people giving advice on things they have little or no knowledge in and others believibg and going with it.

Please just read my first post.

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

joolz wrote:
Sorry but its alittle frustraing when you see people giving advice on things they have little or no knowledge in and others believibg and going with it.

Please just read my first post.

Yes!

This thread was answered (correctly) in the first post.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:20 pm 

NSW, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
an extra safety measure? besides..... you'd only be going that fast in either the territory or on a racetrack, if you're gonna hit the limiter on a public road, you derserve to cop a smack round the head from the tailshaft

yea i agree if your going to do those kind of speeds on a public street your probably not going to be around long enough to brag about it..
but i was still curious what was stronger....

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next