Fordmods Logo

Alloy tail shaft 

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Till_Lind wrote:
I've looked at mine, what a big bulky unco looking thing. Must loooose so much power through it. How do most go about losing less power through these things?

You don't really loose power through a drive shaft, unless your uni's are at a rediculous angle cos you put monster truck suspension on your car.

A steel one has a more inertia becuse it weighs more so wil take more power to initially get it spinning, but once it is up to speed the power it "uses" is negligible. Because the diameters are small, the "more inertia" is really a lot more.

Consider a bike wheel and fly wheel of the same dimensions. It takes more power to make the flywheel turn, but once they are both turning it doesn't take make more to keep em both doing the same RPM.

Maybe not a close analogy but it serves the purpose.

Consider again a 6 cyl E series and a V8 E series, both stock. Both the the same transmission. The V8 will have an alloy tail shaft (mine does), and the six has a steel one (as I think "most" do). Put em on a dyno and using the factory pusblished power output, you can measure the drive train loss. I doubt the steel tail shaft has cost any more power.

Drive train loss comes with gear, pulley and bearing friction. A straight drive shaft effectively has neither of these.

I have a spare alloy shaft in the shed from an EB that I am conisdering putting in my coupe. The sole reason is for weight saving. Cheap increase in power to weight.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

as far as i am aware, all XR models and all V8 models got the alloy shaft

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: BOXCAR

TAS, Australia

^ i'll take that back.

Just had a squizz under my DC LTD (3.9L) and the tail shaft looks alloy!! Theres no rust on it and it has a chalky style residue :?

WTF is going on? where they optional or somthing, or possibly standard becuase its a LTD??

^^^ What He Said

<a href="http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44952" target="_blank" class="postlink"> TAS Cruises</a>

Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:03 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

LWB models (LTD/Fairlane/Wagon/Ute) got them.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: FG XR8, F6 F6 ute, XR5T, Capri

WA, Australia

couldnt you check if its a steel or alloy shaft by sticking a magnet against it?

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:44 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: falcon ed xr8

QLD, Australia

alloy is not magnetic , steel is. if your tail shaft has a whering sound it needs to be balanced at hardy spicer they glue a weight on to it and you have to wait 24hrs or so to use it . do your self a favour and get rid of the balancer . when it was new it was good but if you dent it ,it is shocking , the balancer then amplifies the whooble and starts to wear out your extension houseing. if you get rid of the balancer and dont balance your shaft it just means you cant hear your extension houseing whairing out.

you know boats, i know about fords...the only thing i pay for is whiskey coz i'm too damn lazy to make it myself

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:30 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I got an EL XR6 Manual, steel shaft.. must have been a friday build.

I have a car.

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
I got an EL XR6 Manual, steel shaft.. must have been a friday build.

You will find all the EF/EL XR6 sedans had steel as the XR6 was speed limited, except for ex cop XR6's as they were not speed limited so they got a alloy tail shaft (same for Gli ex cop I6's), all XR8 sedans (not sure about utes, you would hope they were limited) were not speed limited.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Ford FPV FG F6 310

Power: 149 rwkw

QLD, Australia

stockstandard wrote:
None of the wreckers I have been to charge any different for alloy or steel shafts. Both are around the $75 mark.

here in brissy they charged me $50 for one and i could have selected an alloy one.

personally i reckon lighter tailshaft would increase performance just a bit, but definitely not noticeable.
it's almost like putting in a lightened flywheel or lighter diff gears (billet?!) or even lighter rims.

does anyone wanna sell me an alloy xr6 tailshaft before saturday?

NEW RIDE - FPV FG F6 6spd Auto. 12.26@114MPH, 1.88 60FT on Cheapy Tyres with 38PSI - Stock except K&N filter!

R.I.P. BF XR6 Turbo - You will not be forgotten :( 12.06@120MPH

Sort by  
 Page 3 of 3  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3