Fordmods Logo

Annoying Rattle 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Annoying Rattle
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:36 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ef Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

Hello everyone, I bought myself an EFll Fairmont Ghia only 2 weeks ago. Have an AU for the wife, have had an ED (back when they were still fairly new), EF, and many MK1 and MK11 Cortinas in the past. Am loving the car so far, however it has an annoying rattle coming from the rear, not too loud, not too quiet, if you get what I mean. It will do it even on fairly smooth roads, I guess every little minor imperfection in the road, and I cant pinpoint which side its coming from. I'm no novice to cars, have been playing around with them for many years but cant seem to find out where its coming from. Ive been under there to work out where its coming from but nothing seems suss. Do the shocks in these have a habit of making a deep sounding rattle once there about to have the d**k?

Post subject: Re: Annoying Rattle
Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:31 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Shocks can make a rattle if the lower bolt is loose. It needs to be done up f**k off tight.

Factory spec is 105Nm with weight on the wheels.

I'd start there.

Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Thanks mate, ill get him up on the jack stands and get a breaker bar on there to see if that fixes it.

Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: NL Fairlane V8

NSW, Australia

Grippy wrote:
Thanks mate, ill get him up on the jack stands and get a breaker bar on there to see if that fixes it.

Did you fix the rattle? I have the similar sound coming from (I think) the rear passenger side!? I removed the bolster, tightened the rear parcel shelf including the speaker nuts, the gas tank bolts and nuts... but it's still there... it does seem like its coming from with inside the car... Mmmm...

'98 NL Fairlane Ghia 5.0l

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL GHIA

SA, Australia

i had a simular noise and tightening up did not help

BUT lossening up rear suspension AND bouncing rear a few times then doing up under full weight on ground DID :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Here's one for ya... The annoying squeak was coming from the boot rubber seal rubbing against the boot lid... it was obviously sealing out the water but... i cleaned the rubber and now the noise has gone... it was only doing it while driving.. but it must have been a louder noise outside the car as it was coming through the cabin even with the 60/40 seat up and secure... straaaaaaaange :lol:

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:21 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

I replaced all the shocks and springs with kings and shortened shocks. Fixed up some of the rattling, still another annoying rattle there and something on the right rear making a squeak sort of noise over bumps (constantly) but when i touch the brake it stops :shock:

Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:28 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Grippy wrote:
I replaced all the shocks and springs with kings and shortened shocks. Fixed up some of the rattling, still another annoying rattle there and something on the right rear making a squeak sort of noise over bumps (constantly) but when i touch the brake it stops :shock:

Yeah I'm finding that when in the momentum and over little bumps in the road makes the car squeak around from the rear, but once the brake pedal is applied there's no squeaking :lol: might be the brake dust on the discs?

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:43 am 
Fordmods Newbie

SA, Australia

Yeah might be brake dust, or a dodgy bush back there somewhere, I swore I was going to leave this car alone but just cant, have just sold my MR2 that I spent many years and dollars modifying and fixing and swore I would leave cars alone for a while. So far its just been the suspension and cleaning up the paint and interior but am always looking at other stuff. :D

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:42 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Grippy wrote:
Yeah might be brake dust, or a dodgy bush back there somewhere, I swore I was going to leave this car alone but just cant, have just sold my MR2 that I spent many years and dollars modifying and fixing and swore I would leave cars alone for a while. So far its just been the suspension and cleaning up the paint and interior but am always looking at other stuff. :D

Well, we have one thing in common :lol: I can't stop either!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]