Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: Astro A-5 gear kit rocked up yesterday
Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EL XR8, '08 Mondeo XR5t

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

As the title suggests, I ordered an Astro Performance Warehouse A-5 gearkit and mainshaft which, when installed into my T-5 housing, will give me a gearbox rated to 650hp and 575lb/ft of torque. I got home late from work, so had a quick look and took a couple of photos of the input shaft against a stock one as a comparison.

They look to be different lengths in the pic, but it's the camera on my phone doing this. They are the same length in the flesh

A bit of extra meat...

In the kit I received all bearings, synchros, seals, billet keys, billet cluster support plate and gear oil all on top of the gears, cluster gears, input shaft and main shaft. The input shaft has been modified to fit our cars (E-series), as the Mustang inputs are different lengths.

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty

Post subject: Re: Astro A-5 gear kit rocked up yesterday
Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:12 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford ef fairmont

NT, Australia

looks tuff..my t5 getting really tired and im just waitin for her to go bang 1 day :( ! so ive been trying to look for a good rebuild kit... is it a complete kit? and wot sorta coin did it set you back if you dont mind me asking? thanks mate.

96 ef mont, xh xr6 engine jmm race headers, venom cat, hookers aero camber muffler, manual conversion, eb t5, exedy clutch, king springs, gt monroes,whiteline swaybars, k&n panel filter, twin headlights, blah blah blah. soon to have fresh 345 LSD.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Yes mate, everything you need there to completely rebuild the 'box down to the oil. By the time it's landed here after modifying the input shaft to suit our cars, it owes me about $2700. Just got to put it together, bang it in and away I go.

The V8 gearboxes have a different input shaft to the 6s and I know he's now working on the i6 input shaft as we speak.

Here's a thread on Corral that shows what these kits can be put through... It was a deal-maker for me! http://forums.corral.net/forums/drivetr ... sions.html

Trickflow Street Heat top end kit, 70mm BBK TB & EGR, 24lb injectors, Underdrives & 3.73s: 275rwhp - 13.15@105mph NA / 12.37@116mph N20

Last edited by Scaffy on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:45 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford ef fairmont

NT, Australia

ok cheers for the reply. ill look in to this..

96 ef mont, xh xr6 engine jmm race headers, venom cat, hookers aero camber muffler, manual conversion, eb t5, exedy clutch, king springs, gt monroes,whiteline swaybars, k&n panel filter, twin headlights, blah blah blah. soon to have fresh 345 LSD.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Today I finally got around to pulling everything out and got some happy snaps. The only thing that isn't in the pics is the mainshaft.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1996 EFII Gli OLympic Classic

WA, Australia

Bit of a thread mine, but eh it suits what I'm chasing :P

Are these kits available with the I6 input shaft? Reason being I've just lunched my T5 and replaced it with another box, and if these suit I'd like to rebuild with a stronger a***.

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:37 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: 1991 eb1 fairmont

QLD, Australia

what clutch does this need?
does the e-series yoke still fit the new main shaft?

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Benjii wrote:
Bit of a thread mine, but eh it suits what I'm chasing :P

Are these kits available with the I6 input shaft? Reason being I've just lunched my T5 and replaced it with another box, and if these suit I'd like to rebuild with a stronger a***.

Sorry about the delayed reply. Yes, these are available to suit the i6. Same torque rating as the V8s.

Input shafts are 26 spline, so require a clutch to suit.

The main shaft is 28 spline, so the stock yoke slides straight on.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Had any worthwhile results with them yet? (locally)

Theres been some discussion on Boosted around these, but with no local results, people are still sceptical.

despite what mustangs are doing :P

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
Had any worthwhile results with them yet? (locally)

Theres been some discussion on Boosted around these, but with no local results, people are still sceptical.

despite what mustangs are doing :P

I fully understand that and have done from day dot. My plan was to get one behind my 347 and beat the living crap out of it. Unfortunately, she's been sitting in the corner of the workshop with no progress being made what-so-ever. The time I spend there is spent working on other people's cars and I have a young family who command a lot of my time.

In saying that, stay tuned because we have one about to go behind what should be close to 400rwhp Vortech blown Sprint and another Vortech blown 5.0 in an NC 'lane. I've also been trying to work out a plan to get one into a pretty nuts turbo 6, which I'll be putting to him in the next day or two.

I'm very confident that when we actually get the ones we've sold on the road and people see how they're holding up, Astro won't be able to modify input shafts fast enough!

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

Scaffy wrote:
I fully understand that and have done from day dot. My plan was to get one behind my 347 and beat the living crap out of it. Unfortunately, she's been sitting in the corner of the workshop with no progress being made what-so-ever. The time I spend there is spent working on other people's cars and I have a young family who command a lot of my time.

In saying that, stay tuned because we have one about to go behind what should be close to 400rwhp Vortech blown Sprint and another Vortech blown 5.0 in an NC 'lane. I've also been trying to work out a plan to get one into a pretty nuts turbo 6, which I'll be putting to him in the next day or two.

I'm very confident that when we actually get the ones we've sold on the road and people see how they're holding up, Astro won't be able to modify input shafts fast enough!

Ah great to hear, i've been watching those 2 builds on AFF, so keen to see how they go.
If they prove themselves in our local heavy barges then it will certainly help push the product.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

EFFalcon wrote:
Scaffy wrote:

Ah great to hear, i've been watching those 2 builds on AFF, so keen to see how they go.
If they prove themselves in our local heavy barges then it will certainly help push the product.
interesting, im sure there are plenty of people watching this, from stroked v8s to turbo 6's.

will be good to see how they hold up

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]