AU BTR4 Dead/Dieing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: AU BTR4 Dead/Dieing
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

QLD, Australia

Hey all,

I have a 99 Au fairlane ghia v8. I have recently heard some noises that sounded like a wheel bearing dieing, but have discovered it to come from the gearbox. It makes a horrible "grrrrrrrrr" sort of noise in first and a faint hummm in all other gears. It stops when you knock it into nuetral, hence my thoughts it was a gearbox issue.

This morning i hopped in and went to select drive, did nothing, then back into park and into reverse, which in did....sort of then i tried drive yet again and it finally went in.

It is still shifting fine and has not gone into lhm yet. But i am somewhat afraid it might go bang anytime soon. i have had a quick look at the coolant to see if there was any contamination (which i couldnt see), but my guess is that maybe the radiator has leaked into the trans cooler lines??

If that is the case, how much approx would a rebuild with a higher stall converter be worth? Would $2000-2500 be a good enough guess. BTW i was considering a manual conversion but getting parts quickly will be a nightmare.

If anyone could recommend someone around the sunshine coast area that would be great.

Cheers MAtt

99 AU Fairlane Ghia V8 Black Leather, 19" ANZ 5+5's with 245/35 rubber
Full sound system. Extractors, Dual 2.25" exhaust.
Lowered on Tickford XR8 springs and shocks!!

Post subject: Re: AU BTR4 Dead/Dieing
Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

geartorque in brissie doa great job for a fair price

they can just repair it, or full rebuild, up to you

http://www.geartorque.com.au/

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Shame it isn't a six, I have the auto from when I did my manual conversion at cooroy...

...actually scratch that, I'd rather an 8.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF wagon

NSW, Australia

Pretty sure any box from EB-AU (V8) will fit it. could be worth huntind down a 2nd handy?

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

If someone else could confirm that would be great. But i always thought they were the same gearbox, just different torque converters and bellhousing.

Also went to a ford wreckers and he was convinced they were different. He wanted about a grand for a second hand box. Then i went to an auto guy (was really helpful, said it how it is) and he said he repairs taxi boxes for about 800-1200. He suggested sticking with the box i got as i may just inherent some other problem with another box (excuse the pun).

The car only has 180k on it and taxis get much more than that obviously. I will be fitting a ext cooler when it gets redone aswell. As it could be a radiator leaking into box issue.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

If you are planning to keep the car for a while, I reckon a rebuild with a high stall would be well worth it.

A fresh auto makes the car drive so much nicer, the stall will help too. It will completely change the car.

At that price a second hand box isn't worth bothering with IMO.

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

SLO247 wrote:
If you are planning to keep the car for a while, I reckon a rebuild with a high stall would be well worth it.

A fresh auto makes the car drive so much nicer, the stall will help too. It will completely change the car.

At that price a second hand box isn't worth bothering with IMO.

My thoughts exactly. Can anyone recommend a good stall range? There are some 2200 rpm ones on ebay for $395. I think the one in my car at the moment doesnt go much above 1800 without being hard on the brakes.

Im guessing it would make it a bit more punchy off the line (which would be amazing as first gear is a killer in a big heavy car).

Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

EF-MattyB wrote:
If someone else could confirm that would be great. But i always thought they were the same gearbox, just different torque converters and bellhousing.

Also went to a ford wreckers and he was convinced they were different. He wanted about a grand for a second hand box. Then i went to an auto guy (was really helpful, said it how it is) and he said he repairs taxi boxes for about 800-1200. He suggested sticking with the box i got as i may just inherent some other problem with another box (excuse the pun).

The car only has 180k on it and taxis get much more than that obviously. I will be fitting a ext cooler when it gets redone aswell. As it could be a radiator leaking into box issue.

As far as I know the boxes are the same only the extension housing is different.
I agree with your auto Guy.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I have been in a 6 with around 2500 rated stall, I think it used to flash to about 2000 from memory.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hey all, just an update on the whole schemozle.

It turns out that the gearbox decided to eat all its planetary gears. And as such the Auto builder decided it would be better for me to hunt down a replacement and he quoted about $1500 for the gear sets alone. So i started hunting one down. One crew wanted about $1400 for a second hand box. Another wreckers wanted $850 so i snapped it up. But it isnt actually an au box. I believe it might be a EF box as it has a dipstick. But i thought f**k it, i need my car fixed. So i dropped it off to the mob to do the replacement for me.

They managed to fit the box and an tranny cooler for me for the pricely sum of $730.

All up it has cost me $1580. And i really hope this new old gearbox holds out better than my last one.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

Good luck!

A Dipstick is a definite bonus.

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Just picked it up and went for a drive, went down to the shopping centre, it was great. So smooth not clunking into gears etc. Then on the way back (must of been when it warmed up) the speedo starting jumping up and down erratically without even moving. Then it wouldnt change gears when it should. Would free rev then come in etc.

Then it eventually must have gone into Limp Home Mode and stayed in 3rd gear. Took it straight to the auto guy and he plugged in the scan tool, and fair enough there was an error code SPEED SENDER.

So i am hoping that i can get it back into there today and they will swap the speedo sender out of my old box and into this one.

THIS HAS TURNED INTO A FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE!!!!!

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

yeah mate, any fault in the speedo signal will set it into LHM

hopefully it works out for ya because $1500 is what it cost to have my gearbox rebuilt from the link i posted above, plus $250 fitting inc oil......

i cant believe wreckers actually charged that much for a used old auto??

Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Yeah,

I dropped it off first thing this morning and they will take the speed sender off my old box and fit it to this one. Funny thing was but, i drove home from work last night with it revving its tits off in 3rd the whole way home. Then i got about half way to work this morning and as soon as i got onto the highway its decides that i can have my speedo back and i can also have 4th gear.

It changed beautifully all the way from then on (about 15 mins including start stop traffic at kawana). And another thing i have noticed is that it locks up in 4th now (it never used to). I used to be able to sort of "free rev" it on the highway, whereas with this box the revs stay locked to your speed and then it will kick back into 3rd if need be. So i may see a lil bit more fuel econ out of it as well.

They were going to rebuild it until the pulled it out and found out the all the planetarys had failed and munched pretty much everything inside. They are going to throw the box out as it isnt really much use to anyone anymore.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]