Fordmods Logo

AU steel wheels 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: AU steel wheels
Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 2002 AUIII Ute

ACT, Australia

OK, I've got 16" alloys on my AU ute but I want to get a set of 15" steels to put high profile outback tyres on to give me more ground clearance for going bush. I know that I can't just buy a cheap set from a pre AU because the offset is wrong, but I think the AU Forte came with standard 15" steels did it not? If so, they should be available from the wreckers for a reasonable price. Does anyone know what width they are?

When I go to a larger diameter (I was thinking of 235/75R15 Cooper STT - mine are 205/60R16) it will obviously effect the speedo and the gearing. Does anyone know if there is any detrimental effect on the computer or anything else?

Also does anyone know if the 15" wheels will clear the brakes etc (I imagine the brakes are actually set up for 15s and my 16" just give more clearance. Any comments welcome, especially if anyone has done anything similar.

Everyone needs a ute

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:00 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

since you have AU 3 u will need to find AU 3 steel rims as these ar 16" the 15" willl not clear the twin piston brakes on the front
you should get away witha 15" on the rear but not on the front
try some ford dealers as they put alloys on the ba XT's et and the ba have 16" rims and are teh same offset as teh AU

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:35 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Thanks Frank. If I get 16" steels that'll be fine and I'll just buy the appropriate tyre size.

Everyone needs a ute

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

yawood wrote:
Thanks Frank. If I get 16" steels that'll be fine and I'll just buy the appropriate tyre size.
BINGO :)

like i said try some ford yards or even wreckers just dont pay anymore than $25 a rim!

ever thought about some nice aftermarket steel rims, liek on 4wds make the car look a bit nicer than pursuities

RIP SCOTT

Post subject: Re: AU steel wheels
Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: au xr8 & 5.0 eb

VIC, Australia

yawood wrote:
OK, I've got 16" alloys on my AU ute but I want to get a set of 15" steels to put high profile outback tyres on to give me more ground clearance for going bush. I know that I can't just buy a cheap set from a pre AU because the offset is wrong, but I think the AU Forte came with standard 15" steels did it not? If so, they should be available from the wreckers for a reasonable price. Does anyone know what width they are?

When I go to a larger diameter (I was thinking of 235/75R15 Cooper STT - mine are 205/60R16) it will obviously effect the speedo and the gearing. Does anyone know if there is any detrimental effect on the computer or anything else?

Also does anyone know if the 15" wheels will clear the brakes etc (I imagine the brakes are actually set up for 15s and my 16" just give more clearance. Any comments welcome, especially if anyone has done anything similar.
ive got an au 1 with the smaller front brakes and 15" wheels fit so if you want we can swap brakes lol then presto 15"s will fit no to be real i think your screwed but if you get me the overall diamater of the std outback tyres ill check at work if theres a 16 that will do the job ive only got info on bfg ect as we dont sell cooper but size wise will give you an idea

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 9:08 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

Thanks but now that I realise that the AU III was different to previous AUs, I'll look for 16" wheels from either AU III or BA.

Everyone needs a ute

Posted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Disco Frank wrote:
yawood wrote:

like i said try some ford yards or even wreckers just dont pay anymore than $25 a rim!

ever thought about some nice aftermarket steel rims, liek on 4wds make the car look a bit nicer than pursuities
f**k up frank u drive a blue au xr f**k

Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Check out this site.... http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/

Its got heaps of information about tyres and stuff. Theres even a calculator to tell you how much your speedo will be out, when you change the tyre setup on the car.....

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:26 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

ACT, Australia

EB92 wrote:
Check out this site.... http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/

Its got heaps of information about tyres and stuff. Theres even a calculator to tell you how much your speedo will be out, when you change the tyre setup on the car.....

I've got most of that but thanks anyway.

Everyone needs a ute

Posted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

v8fordman351 wrote:
Disco Frank wrote:
yawood wrote:

f**k up frank u drive a blue au xr f**k
lol i was on fordmods the other night with some mates and I DID NOT WRIGHT THIS so dont get upset fankie i will find those responsable and whip them lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]