Fordmods Logo

AU ute need help about lowering blocks 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: AU ute need help about lowering blocks
Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:52 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: au2 ute 6cyl auto

NSW, Australia

Hey there all, i have an au2 ute which has already been lowered all round, rear was done by resetting the leaves approx 2.5inches, but i want to go nother 2 or so lower again, but dont want to pay $350 to get them reset again, AND if i do get defected then pay another $350!

So blocks have been decided BUT i am getting lots of mixed response, Pedders say its impossible to fit blocks to an AU2 as the shock mount (or similar) hits the rim, this is to do with the width of the rim and tyre, 8INCH and larger will cause this, not the rim height size. (ute is on 20in)
Peps has told me you can fit any size blocks as long as the rim is 18inch tall or bigger, and various mechanical shops have told me you can do it with no probs at all, and others have said its impossible-
So has anyone actually got an au2 with lowering blocks fitted and how did everything fit? also bearing in my mind my leaves are already reset, will this cause any other clearance issues with the blocks??

All help much appreciated, Thankyou in advance

Post subject: Re: AU ute need help about lowering blocks
Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:05 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

detailingau2 wrote:
Hey there all, i have an au2 ute which has already been lowered all round, rear was done by resetting the leaves approx 2.5inches, but i want to go nother 2 or so lower again, but dont want to pay $350 to get them reset again, AND if i do get defected then pay another $350!

So blocks have been decided BUT i am getting lots of mixed response, Pedders say its impossible to fit blocks to an AU2 as the shock mount (or similar) hits the rim, this is to do with the width of the rim and tyre, 8INCH and larger will cause this, not the rim height size. (ute is on 20in)
Peps has told me you can fit any size blocks as long as the rim is 18inch tall or bigger, and various mechanical shops have told me you can do it with no probs at all, and others have said its impossible-
So has anyone actually got an au2 with lowering blocks fitted and how did everything fit? also bearing in my mind my leaves are already reset, will this cause any other clearance issues with the blocks??

All help much appreciated, Thankyou in advance

Now assuming AU2 and Ba are pretty much the same (which i'm pretty sure they are) You shouldn't have any problems fitting blocks with 20's... The spring height isn't an issue, it's because blocks work by lifting the axle or in other words lowering the spring so you have 2 problems.

1. The spring is 2" closer to the ground and can hit on s**t.
2. But the main issue is the shock mount can hit the rim as it sits inside the rim, which with 20" rims wouldn't be a problem unless you ever need to fit a smaller rim for any reason.. with 2" blocks I wouldn't think you'd be able to fit anthing smaller than an 18" just from looking at mine.

Have a look under and its pretty clear why its a bad idea... I put superlows in my ute but i should have put ultras... I looked at putting 1" block's in, appart from it being illegal it just looked dangerous! lol I would just get another set of springs so you can swap them back if needed.

I had blocks in my old madza bravo, i got hooked up on the edge of a driveway once because my wheel went into a hole and the spring got stuck on the edge of the concrete, would not have happened except i had 3" blocks in it...

Anyway thats my 2 cents.

Cheers Paul.

Last edited by BAXLS03 on Mon May 07, 2012 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 1:15 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA XLS Ute

VIC, Australia

Attachment:
ba.JPG
ba.JPG [ 281.1 KiB | Viewed 269 times ]

Bit hard to see but the mount is actually just inside the rim and if you put a 2" block between the axle and spring then that mount is 2" lower...

Posted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: au2 ute 6cyl auto

NSW, Australia

You make a very good point there, i think il just get them reset!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]