Fordmods Logo

AU V8 gearbox into EL XR8 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: AU V8 gearbox into EL XR8
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:06 am 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 2 XF's, XE, EA Ghia

SA, Australia

hi all now i know that the AU v8 gearboxs are longer by about 50mm, but i have heard ppl making them fit even tho the gearstick pops up further back. anyone seen or done this before? is it worth tryin to get it to fit into my EL or am i just in for a world of troubles? i wouldnt ask if i didnt get offered a manual conversion at a good price. cheers

Post subject: Re: AU V8 gearbox into EL XR8
Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:26 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: ELXR8

NSW, Australia

Ea through to Au Falcon and them #olden s**t boxes all run the same T5 5 speed gear box the only difference in length would be the Bell housing and or the rear gear box housing.

Tickford A True Legend
Where it all began

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The differences in the boxes are like you noted, shifter position in AU's, and the input shaft sizes. Holden and ford vary considerably, and ford 6 and 8 are very different (the 6 input shaft is longer).

Lots of people have put AU T5s into the EB/EL - notched the trans tunnel hump or made a shifter adapter and its worked fine. Dont try and do the V8 box to an i6, or other way around, and dont waste your time with trying to get a holden box working either.

If you do go with the AU Gearbox, make sure you get the tailshaft to match as well (if its a live axle)

Nigel

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I think they make bellhousings to put an i6 box onto an 8, but also requires a custom tailshaft and your shifter probably won't line up with the hole.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Dellow make them, and possibly CRS. The i6 box isnt as strong as the 8 one either

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Dellow make them, and possibly CRS. The i6 box isnt as strong as the 8 one either

With the exclusion of special models and BA onwards the WC t5's are the exact same box with different gear ratios depending upon the model. Some gear sets are rated higher than the others (such as the 8 ones) but as far as a strength goes means jack all. They are made from the same material and are identical except for the ratios (which give the higher rating).

The main reason for the boxes actually breaking is 3rd going due to its position on the shaft and the gears flexing apart under torque. If you are driving it hard and have enough torque to cause death via this method there is bees d**k difference between the two.

As far as bearings go they are also identical. It is only between non-WC and WC (eb2+) there are differences. I believe the T series falcons and xr6t's got T5Z (and possibly E series GT's - which had different ratios to xr8s).

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]