Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: Auto Clunk
Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 113 rwkw

NSW, Australia

i have a 4 Speed Auto in my EB2 Fairmont and when you take off it changes great no slipping, but when you slow down almost to a stop you get a clunk as it drops into first gear a bit too soon.

I have this up getting looked at and my Mechanic trying to find out what it is. he said he hooked it up to a computer for the box to see if there was any error codes that would tell him whats wrong Still no luck.

have looked at the diff and uni joints all ok & Kickdown cable is ok, just would like to be my beloved car back so i can get back to enjoying the power of the v8.

so does anyone have any ideas what it could be

BANNED

Last edited by BuNtEr on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

I wouldn't be worried about it, it is probably some slight freeplay in the universal joints or diff. My 4 speed has been completely rebuilt and strengthened, but coming to a stop it ALWAYS clunks into first gear.

BTW, you dont have a kickdown cable, it's all electronic :wink: .

Last edited by fordman351 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

What kick down cable????? They don't have a kick down cable. They finnished with the 3sp auto in the first series EA.
How much did he charge to adjust/check the kickdown cable????

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 1989 300ZX Twin turbo Z32

QLD, Australia

Hey mate,
I had the same problem in my car when I did an AU motor conversion. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor was stuffed and it was telling the box to do a hard shift coz it thought the car was accelerating when it was actually stopping. You can test it by disconnecting the TPS and see if it still does it (note your shifts will be a little harder in the rest of the range whilst the TPS is disconnected).

Sold my EB :(
Now got my 300zx :)

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:13 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

bluecube wrote:
Hey mate,
I had the same problem in my car when I did an AU motor conversion. Turned out to be the throttle position sensor was stuffed and it was telling the box to do a hard shift coz it thought the car was accelerating when it was actually stopping. You can test it by disconnecting the TPS and see if it still does it (note your shifts will be a little harder in the rest of the range whilst the TPS is disconnected).

BINGO

My mechanic said it was that and the speed sencer that was doing it just 1 hour ago, also they are getting too much power to them i think he said they should only be getting 1.5 of a volt, but its getting alot more and they are heating up so he has replaced them with new ones and now the car is over at the auto electrions (sencors are still getting hot)

Sorry didnt know they didnt use a kick down cable last ford i had was an XF 8 seater wagon till the wife traided it in for a vs dunny door (yuck) now i have my own toy the EB XR8 she can have her holden.

BANNED

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
What kick down cable????? They don't have a kick down cable. They finnished with the 3sp auto in the first series EA.
How much did he charge to adjust/check the kickdown cable????

That was my mistake not his.

BANNED

Posted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA Falcon XR8

WA, Australia

Ahh, very good! Thanks for pointing that out bunter and bluecube. I'll run a multimeter across my TPS and see what we're reading :wink: .

Posted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:15 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I finaly got my rolls carnardly back, my EB.

Gearbox all working now no clunk. now i will put here what was done to fix problem.

Checked Car for Thumping on down shift. checked car for fault codes, found list of fault codes in system.
Cleared Codes & road tested Car found that most codes came back. Found that car was not reading from sensors. Checked all wiring harness. found that inhibitor wiring harness had been melted on exhaust. removed & replaced damaged wiring & plug. Cleared codes & rechecked. found that car still had faults. checked all sensors. found to test OK. completed pin out test on computer. found that more than half were wrong readings. checked computer & Found that it was the incorrect computer for car.fit test computer to car found that test computer was faulty but did clear most fault codes. fit 2nd hand computer to car. cleared fault codes road test car tested ok.

Now what it dont say is that they tested 9 computers till they found one that was not faulty and one that was the right one for my car.

The car now drives like a dream.

BANNED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]