Fordmods Logo

Auto Converter. Maybe in need of help. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Auto Converter. Maybe in need of help.
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 98 NL, 97NL, 98EL

Power: 141 rwkw

QLD, Australia

Hey guys ...

Just a question about my NL and the auto converter (or stall converter) is that right?

Now I've been told by a few people who has driven it, that it does not stall up on take off as high as it should ...

I've also noticed when I've drive a standard EL and a AU1 and even a auto ED that if you floor it, it will go to about 2000.RPM before it gets going, if that makes any sense, Now with the NL it only stalls to about 1500.RPM even with you foot on the brake, I've had the exhaust done, injectors, fuel filter, even fuel pump .... Can converters fail like that??? I've been told by a few auto shops that when its on max stall, it should spin the wheels, but doesn't could my converter be on its way out???

What should the factory stall level be?? Maybe the NL has a different converter? its just running a stock EL ECU so don't have the speed sensitive power steering

I wanted to check everything else before the gearbox comes out ...

Hope you guys can come up with some help!!!!

Thanks guys

Sommer girl ...

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

does the car feel sluggish at all? its unlikely that the converter has got 'tighter' its more likely the engines not making power, therefore the converter pulls the engine down more... have you had the basics checked, like timing, air / fuel ratio's etc?

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

66 coupe wrote:
does the car feel sluggish at all? its unlikely that the converter has got 'tighter' its more likely the engines not making power, therefore the converter pulls the engine down more... have you had the basics checked, like timing, air / fuel ratio's etc?

Hi 66 coupe, its sluggish from 800rpm to 2000rpm. there is nothing wrong with the motor, the motor came from a manual EL falcon, that used to go REAL quick, and the timing is advanced, (not to that ping pong ball / rattle sound)

this motor used to make 140rwkw give or take 5 kw each way depending on dyno going though a manual gearbox. the auto is the last thing I can think off, that has not been checked, But in the motor I have all new plugs, leads, and coil, I don't know if this auto has ever been serviced, its now done 190,000kms in fact from the color of the oil, its just about black

Maybe get the auto serviced??? is that something I can do by myself?? changing the oil in it and is there a filter inside it??? could that be blocked??

Thanks for your quick reply.

Sommer Girl ..

BANNED!!!!

Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

you could try getting the auto serviced and converter flushed out, its best getting it done at a trans place - then see how it goes from there.

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

New Zealand

Ok if the engine you have now came from a manual and your running an auto, wouldnt it be a good Idea to replace the computer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/war01/RMDW-1.jpg
1984 DX Corolla = Paddock Hack
1988 EA Falcon = Strip Car
1988 Gl Corolla = when the falcon unable to be driven on road due to pink sticker.
1991 EA Series 2 Wagon = Work Wagon
1997 Mazda Familia = Just in case

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

ECU replaced with one from a 98 EL falcon ...

BANNED!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]