Fordmods Logo

AUTO ECU RUNNING in 5 SPEED MANUAL 

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: AUTO ECU RUNNING in 5 SPEED MANUAL
Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:46 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Ok as alot of you may know i've been havetrouble with my EBI since i did my manual conversion.The car was running terrible i mean really bad bunny hoping in gears not idling.Anyway i thought i'd put my Auto ECU back in to see if it would do the same thing.As if it did it would of ment the EA Manual ECU i got from the wreckers was marked wrong as a manual.Anyway i hooked my original auto ECU up turned the key and she started straite away and was idleing along just beutiful.So i decided to take it for a drive and all me troubles had gone it's running perfect.What i dont understand is people have said you cant use auto ECU's in Manual unless you solder on capacitors ect, also when i'm at the light it idle's perect just like it did when it was auto.I'm thinking that mybe my ECU is a manual ECU anyway.could this be posible by the way i used the manual loom that came with the gearbox if this my help

On the bottom of both ECU's it says
THE FOLLOWING U.S. PATENT MAY APPLY
TO THE UNIT:
I dont know if all this jargon means anything but do any of the numbers on the EA ECU indicate that its infact an manual ecu here are some numbers if anyone can help

H8M09 7DCE
EEC-IV
CFI-SD153 87DA-12A650-CE
I just thought if any of these numbers determine that it is a EA Manual ECU then instead of me just having it sit around i'll sell it .AS somebody else my need it and get some use out of it

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 2021 Amarok V6

SA, Australia

that ECU is a 3.9 CFI 5 Speed.

is your car CFI or MPFI?

2021 V6 Manual Amarok - 245kw/750nm - many goodies
1997 EL Fairmont Ghia 4.0 - Heritage Green & Cappa
2010 Suzuki GSX650F - when I want to be silly

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:51 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

i understand why now my car is mpfi i still dont understand how my car is runing with my Auto ECU perfectly.As i've heard here and else where and auto one wont unless you do the thing to trick the ecu.Which i have'nt as i got the wiring loom with the box.aThe only thing i can think of is mine a manual ECU and rhey will work on an Auto who know's.Sooner or later someone will come along on here and give me the answerfor it.So if i advertize the manual ECU i gotta advertize it as a cpi ECU

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

yep gotta advertise it as an CFI 5 Speed ECU.

Auto ECUs run fine in manuals, i think the revs just hang a bit sometimes.

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

was your auto a 3spd or 4spd??

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

im guessing it wouldve been a 3 speed...

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:12 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

My Auto was a 4speed my car is a EBI F'MONT GHIA which came was afew extra's as it was a special order for the Premier it wasregisterd to the department of the premier.I'vegot allthe paper work with it andall the service history books which the car was serviced exactly when it needed to be.Anyway the thing i want to know is why it runs perfect with the auto ECU i know you can use the auto ECU but you must solder capacitors on the loom to trick the ECU.I did'nt do any of this as my gear box came with the loom which was already all plugged into the box all i had to do was plug the main square plug in up under the hood.So thats what i'm wanting to know is why is my ECU running my car perfectly as i've been told that auto ecu's wont run a manual

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

my mate has an EF XR6 5 speed running an auto ECU. it runs fine, all it does is the revs hang a bit at 1500 then return to idle speed.

the reason the CFI ECU ran s**t is a CFI motor only has 2 injectors and a completely different intake setup.

so im pretty sure the CFI ECU sent power to 2 injectors at a time at random, thats why it ran s**t.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 66 Mustang

VIC, Australia

Hello I have just converted my EFXR6 from auto to manual, and my idle rpm does hang for a bit. The only problem i have is that the fans come on full, soon as the car starts. I think it is looking for a temp reply from the auto but carnt find one. I would like to know how to trick the ecu into thinking all is fine. I have studdied the wiring diagram and joined the gearbox temp wires together but to no avail. Do I need to add a resistor as I do not know the voltage required for the ecu for the correct temp range. Also which wires do I connect to the switch on top of the T5. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Mark

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

The whole ECU debate is different in Pre EB Series II cars.

From EBII onward, the auto trans control was integrated into the ECU. Pre EB II, the ECU and trans control were seperate units.

In EAII, and EBI, the Auto ECU had only one signal to the Engine ECU - that is a square wave signal that told the ECU when to retard the timing. This was used during change (I believe), but was also definetly used to retard the timing when in reverse.

For these cars, I believe simply removing the auto ECU (under the dash, above the handbrake) will do when doing a manual conversion. You still need to make sure that the Reverse and Neutral start wires are sorted.

For EB II onwards, the ECU gets a bit funny when it cant find out about an auto that should be there. The resistor trick tells the normal (Engine ECU) that an AUto is there, and that its in Neutral, AND that its temp is ok.

That isnt a problem for the EBI/EAII. The Auto Trans controller is seperate, and the engine ECU doesnt log any fault codes because of this.

Does that help?

Probably important to know as well that the V8's up to and including EL are wired up as per EAII/EB1 - they have a seperate trans controller.

Cheers

Nigel

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

spot on nigel,,couldn't of said it any better.

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:14 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: 66 Mustang

VIC, Australia

Hi, sort of, I have the neutral and reverse sorted out, do you know what size resistor and which wires at the box end do i need to hook up. I think its yellow and pruple, (auto box plug).

Regards

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: BFII Turbo

Power: 253 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Nigel wrote:
Probably important to know as well that the V8's up to and including EL are wired up as per EAII/EB1 - they have a seperate trans controller.

Cheers

Nigel

that little nugget has just made me tick the v8 conversion box if i ever go to manual...

enough isn't enough

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:13 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII V8 Fairmont Ghia

WA, Australia

Miffy wrote:
Hi, sort of, I have the neutral and reverse sorted out, do you know what size resistor and which wires at the box end do i need to hook up. I think its yellow and pruple, (auto box plug).

Regards

yes mate you need a few resistors.

http://www.fordmods.com/forums/download.php?id=10421

click that link, it will shows you what wires go where and what resistors and where to put them.

2007 Steel BF Ghia MKII V8 - 19" GTP's + Superlows

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Peacock EB Falcon

QLD, Australia

So wait, this might be why my auto is shifting weirdly.
I have a Series 1 EB Falcon, running an EL ECU... and on deceleration the shifts are harsh.

The only other person running a EA/EB I with the EL ECU on I can think of is Troyman, and he can't help with this issue as he's running a manual :lol:

Wanted, CFI manifold

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next