Fordmods Logo

Auto shift mods 

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Auto shift mods
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Well, weve just about all done the auto shift mod to reduce shift times and give it that chirp into second (and in my case 3rd too). What I am wondering is are there any smart cookies out there that can work out a way to make the shift kit variable in intensity directly in relation to how hard the accelerator is depressed. Obviously there would need to be a potentiometre on the butterfly or even a secondary TPS... Ideas? And do any of you mob reckon its a good idea?

Post subject: Re: Auto shift mods
Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

it's quite possible but I haven't seen it done. I also cannot find my book with the relevant info in it so if I find it later i'll post it up.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:14 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

Seems pretty stupid to me (sorry).
When you are fanging it its going to feel a lot harsher anyway then if you were cruising around.
Auto au xr6's have adaptive shift which sort of does that, but its a pretty s**t system, I had it in mine and it would always be super harsh when youd just fanged it off the lights then when slowing down BANG into the next gear.
For the miniscule difference they make, I doubt even investigating the idea would be worth it.

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I like the idea of it being on, or off and thats it

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Hope you dont mind if I completely disregard what youve just said. I think that if a system like that could be refined to the point where just pottering around town using upto say 1/3 throttle it shifts completely as factory, the next 3rd say is a degree firmer and when you absolutely floor it it punches you hard between the shoulder blades. But not in increments like Ive described, but completely lineal.

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I think the adaptive shift works quite fine if you know how to use it... it just wasn't designed for going back gears :roll:

anyway enough of the opinions, some advice:

a delta throttle timer can run anything off your tps. of course it will only turn it on and off, it won't be linear with a basic switch, but anythings possible.

this will give you an idea: http://autospeed.com/cms/title_The-Delta-Throttle-Timer-Breakthrough/A_2115/article.html

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: AUII XR8 ute

VIC, Australia

dazza027 wrote:
Hope you dont mind if I completely disregard what youve just said. I think that if a system like that could be refined to the point where just pottering around town using upto say 1/3 throttle it shifts completely as factory, the next 3rd say is a degree firmer and when you absolutely floor it it punches you hard between the shoulder blades. But not in increments like Ive described, but completely lineal.

Thats fine, I just think its a bit overkill, I mean, an auto eb and you want to make it faster and you're starting with the 1/2 a second between gear shifts?

How many bears could Bear Grylls grill if Bear Grylls could grill bears?

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: ef falcon, el fairmont ghia

New Zealand

i would just play with the firmness till you get it how you like it. instead of f**k around with the other s**t, or maybe a switch under your accelerator.

best way to get it how you want it, is go manual :roll:

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

lol +1 but I still respect the auto in heavy traffic...

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if you drive in econ mode and just drive normally it will be fine, full throttle in econ mode gives a firmer shift, but not as firm as in power mode.

anything beyond that is too technical for such a s**t all gain.

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

A gain is a gain. For the sake of 15 bucks worth of parts and some solder, a half a second between each gear shift, even if you could halve that, over a quarter mile assuming you wind out third gear and not get 4th theres still half a second off your ET. You need to remove 50 kilos of weight to achieve that (Morosso weight/power/ET calculator 10kg = 1/10th of a second) or you could do what you guys suggest and go slower with a manual box, and I dont give a s**t if your craig lowndes, a full synchro box is not going to give you a half second shift without it f**k itself... Or you could go down your other suggested path and put a bigger cam in which equals more than just the price of the cam alone when you include labour and sundry parts and fluids.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if you really really wanted to pursue it, you could use the TPS signal to trigger a voltage triggered relay (http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID ... BCATID=347) to turn the shift kit on at a certain voltage signal and have it off under that amount.

anything more technical than that (ie variable adjustment via voltage signal sent by TPS) would require a microcontroller be built and programmed.

but again, alot of f**k around for such a little gain.
why not just have the shiftkit triggered to run only in power mode?

if you're worried about the cost of a cam (and can't install one yourself?) then taking on something like this might be a bit much.

also, increasing shift times doesn't exactly mean you will get the same return in terms of a 1/4 time ;)

XG Panelvan
mild engine, EL ECU & J3, HI6 & MSD coil

in the shed - .595" lift cam, GT4202, forged AU engine, ems 4424 ecu, glide & 5500 stall - next-bellhousing

XH ute daily - DOHC BA XR6 engine, T5, AU3 ECU, J3 chip, wideband & logger, ported BBM, 3" intake

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the ideas. I generally dont have problems installing cams lol. I was talking of a cost/benefit sort of deal meaning that I figure there would be 25 bux worth of parts max, whereas a cam would set you back 180 odd for a regrind with an extra set of shims, then f**k around with running it in etc etc for not much more of a benefit. And still not really get all the fruit untill it has a full xorst and a J3/tune.

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

can you set AU's up like i had my EB set up when it was auto? with the adjustable pot?

just replace the adjustable pot with the voltage reference from the TPS. as you accelerate more, the harsher the shift is

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Dunno, I dont have an AU anymore, I have an EB

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next