Fordmods Logo

Auto to Manual Conversion 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Auto to Manual Conversion
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

i have read through the pages and pages of information on this site including Voxaces document regarding the conversion. This HAS to be the best site for this information thanks to everyones contriubtions. I have a few questions that may or may not have already been asked but i couldnt find the info. So if you could assist that would be fantastic.

1. Cleaning the Gearbox.
I bought a T5 out of what must have been a very greasy bottom end EL. I plan on spraying degreaser and srcubbing it down, then washing it off with high pressure water. Do i risk damaging anything? Is there anything I should Cover up prior to spraying it with water?

2. Speedo Sensor.
Are the speedo sensor gear's interchangable between the auto and manual box? (do i need to do this) I ask this because my car has 3.45 diff gears and the el the t5 came out of had 3.08 or something. if they are not interchangable do i have to buy a different speedo gear for the t5 to suit my 3.45 diff gears?

3. Reverse and neutral wires.
SO much info about this on the site but just a few more questions. Firstly, i refer to the document voxace put together. Are the wire colours the same for the ef/l as they are for the eb/d?
ie:
Neutral switch: Black with Green Stripe, Red with Blue Stripe
Reverse switch:White with red stripe, red with black stripe

i bought the loom already tricked off a member and the wire colours are as above and he stated it is for an eb/d so im confident that they are the same.
My next question is: does the polarity matter for these? is it a trial and error thing if polarity does matter or can you swap the wires around in reference to the connecter on the box.

4. Dust excluder
the box i purchased doesnt have the dust excluder, is it essential to have this? would it be ok not to have this? or should i buy one, is it available from ford? if so anyone have the part number?

Your help will be much much appreciated....

Thanks!

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Post subject: Re: Auto to Manual Conversion
Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

BOSXR8 wrote:
1. Cleaning the Gearbox.
I bought a T5 out of what must have been a very greasy bottom end EL. I plan on spraying degreaser and srcubbing it down, then washing it off with high pressure water. Do i risk damaging anything? Is there anything I should Cover up prior to spraying it with water?

There should be a breather on the top of the box, but it has it's own cover. There shouldn't be any issue with hitting it with degreaser and a pressure sprayer.

BOSXR8 wrote:
2. Speedo Sensor.
Are the speedo sensor gear's interchangable between the auto and manual box? (do i need to do this) I ask this because my car has 3.45 diff gears and the el the t5 came out of had 3.08 or something. if they are not interchangable do i have to buy a different speedo gear for the t5 to suit my 3.45 diff gears?

You can use the Auto speed gear and sender from the Auto box in the T5. I did.

BOSXR8 wrote:
3. Reverse and neutral wires.
SO much info about this on the site but just a few more questions. Firstly, i refer to the document voxace put together. Are the wire colours the same for the ef/l as they are for the eb/d?
ie:
Neutral switch: Black with Green Stripe, Red with Blue Stripe
Reverse switch:White with red stripe, red with black stripe

i bought the loom already tricked off a member and the wire colours are as above and he stated it is for an eb/d so im confident that they are the same.
My next question is: does the polarity matter for these? is it a trial and error thing if polarity does matter or can you swap the wires around in reference to the connecter on the box.

Will leave this one for someone else to answer.

BOSXR8 wrote:
4. Dust excluder
the box i purchased doesnt have the dust excluder, is it essential to have this? would it be ok not to have this? or should i buy one, is it available from ford? if so anyone have the part number?

While it would be desirable to have it, I don't think it is completely necessary. It is something you could get away with not using right now, and acquire later.

BOSXR8 wrote:
Your help will be much much appreciated....

Thanks!

Hope that all helps.

Cheers
BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:31 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

I did this about a year ago on my ED but the guides i found were for EF/EL and some of the wires are differnt. According to what i have written down the neutral switches are as you said but the Reverse are:

-Red/black stripe
-white/purple stripe

the wires where you do the resistor trick are also different. I put the 7k ohm one between the two purple wires and the 1.2K ohm one between the blue wires. I'm not sure what stripes they had. All the rest of the wires out of that circular plug were green/yellow so i figured the other 4 must be different. I'd recomend getting the black speedo gear with 23 teeth if you have >16" wheels and don't already have it.

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB SXR6 | ED XR8 Sprint

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys appreciate your help. Shyun I think your right about the colours will double check tonight.

One more question, will the ef/l gear stick fit ok on the eb/d rubber gear boot?

Thanks again

EB SXR6. ED XR8 Sprint.

Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:50 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: ED XR6, AUII XR8

VIC, Australia

By the looks of things the gear sticks on ef/l are the same. the rubber should take up the slack anyway:P

ED XR6, LeMans Red, 5-Speed
AUII XR8, Silhouette, 5-Speed

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:16 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 6 images

NSW, Australia

1 cleaning the box , just degrease and hit with high pressure hose (hot water if you can) no need to cover anything up .
2 just a strait swap with the speedo units ,make sure the cog stays on
3 the neutral wire's just twist them together and tape them . no need for the resistor trick .
the ef-l gear stick is better more upright than the ea-d stick and for the dust box get one as so as you can you don't want to much oil n grease and crap getting into the clutch and flywheel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]