B&M Auto shifter 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: B&M Auto shifter
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:31 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF XT Falcon

VIC, Australia

Hey guys, am hoping to get a B&M Auto shifter (not sure which type just yet).

Was wondering about a few things,

Firstly.. will this kind of shifter speed up gear changes? i have a btr shift kit installed, and yes it does make gear changes faster, but not faster as in the lag time from when i shift the gear knob to when it actually changes (still revs out a bit before snapping gear) id like it to change gear as soon as i move the knob from first to seconds etc..

secondly does anyone have any pictures of these in a EF-EL Falcon? im very interested as to what they would look like in an EF-EL..

thanks in advance guys :)

Post subject: Re: B&M Auto shifter
Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:15 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

no it wont make shift any quicker. I had one in my EB. Was fun at the time, but took it out when the NL interior went in.

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:05 am 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

hmm fair enough. can anything be done to actually make it shift quicker? besides getting it converted to manual of course.. lol

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:34 am 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Heres a guy that done it in perth... not sure if it made it any quicker thou.

http://www.pertheseries.com/forums/inde ... ntry168663

1995 EF Futura
Port and Polished 94DT Tickford Head - Crow valve springs - 68mm Throttle Body - Wade 1673
4499 Pacemakers - 2.5" exhaust - Ti J3 Chip - 2J1 Techedge Logger -EL Tickford 3.45LSD -
XR low springs - Boge Turbo Shocks - Front DBA slotted Rotors - BA ESS shifter - Shift Kit

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:27 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: turbo ed, xr6 turbo

QLD, Australia

lowie b&m shifters do nothing to ur shift quality or speed, they are a shifter - same as what u already have in the car for free. Shift kits, ie upping line pressure within the box is what makes ur shift faster. drive a shift kitted car first before u do ur own. U might not like it for a street car especially after a hard night/head hurts !

If u can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Remember the gear box is full of clutches... They are engaged of disengaged by oil pressure... When you click the gear it opens or closes a solenoid and it is always going to take time for the pressure to build and change gears... And auto semi engages the next gear and then semi disengages the previous gear and then fully engages the next gear and then completely disengages the previous gear, I think? This gives you a smooth transition between gear changes, these shift kits make this happen quicker so that its more clunky and makes the gear shift as quick as possible... It is never going to be like a manual shift (instantaneous) unless you put a manual in it... It always takes a few secs to engage one clutch and disengage the last... Unlike a manual when your on the clutch and have no drive, an auto always has drive coz its not a disengage and then an engage, but always a transition... Its just the way they work... That's why I own a manual 8-) I can't stand that fact about autos... It just doesn't feel right... Esp when your out cruising around and want the real driving experience... A slow auto ruins it...

Although maybe somebody does make something for this problem, although from what I've seen in threads and for sale never completely fixes it...

Goodluck anyway...

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:04 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

cheers for the responces guys,

Fatnstick- I already have a btr adjustable shift kit in, so i know whats its like.. and i couldnt drive with it on all the time, not too fun when ur just cruising at low speeds lol.

i guess down the track ill look into a manual gearbox maybe. i am eventually going to boost the engine, so not sure if i want a manual or auto for that :S

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:19 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I'll boost mine one day I think the old T5 manual is a pretty tough old box... In saying that I'm not putting 300rwkw through it either... I'd be quite happy with 200rwkw on my first attempt of installing a turbo... I'm slowly sourcing bits and pieces...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

yea thats about the figures id be looking at, was thinking about just saving up and getting a package from snort or something

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:26 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

I found a second hand job on ebay for around the 500 mark I think now... had most things, small turbo, cast log manifold, dump pipe Walbro pump (unsure if its genuine at this stage), a lead set, boost gauge, and some other small things...

I will get the turbo rebuilt and I bought an intercooler and other things...

Something like that is the way to go for entry level on the cheap... doesn't matter if you blow it up then as it didn't cost the earth anyway...

Keep and eye on ebay for the mean time... never know what you find...

Good luck with it...

Posted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:28 pm 
Tyre Shredder

VIC, Australia

cheers mate, will do

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]