Fordmods Logo

BA fairmont sedan 4L towing??? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: BA fairmont sedan 4L towing???
Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

Hi im looking at buying a BA fairmont sedan 4L auto.

Are the sedans any good for towing a car trailer with a car on it???Im reffering to a standard height BA sedan aswell.

cheers Bryan

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Post subject: Re: BA fairmont sedan 4L towing???
Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

KRUPTD wrote:
Hi im looking at buying a BA fairmont sedan 4L auto.

Are the sedans any good for towing a car trailer with a car on it???Im reffering to a standard height BA sedan aswell.

cheers Bryan

What car and how heavy is the trailer? Yes it will tow it fine, but no it may not be safe to do so.

I towed 2000-2300kg with my EL a few times (with elec brakes and HD towpack incl springs). It towed it better than I initially expected, but having used a landcruiser to tow the same thing I know which I would be choosing if I did it on a regular basis.

If I was going to use a falcon to tow that much again would definately be getting some big brakes first. Even with a BA which has the twin pots I would still consider getting premium brakes, as this was the main area where I felt a lot more confident towing with the 4WD.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:17 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: turbo ed, xr6 turbo

QLD, Australia

towing capacity for ur car is 2300kg (braked), or 750kg (unbraked). Outside of these specs is beyond the cars expectations and hence illegal. Weight and design of the car is what governs towing capacity. Fitting bigger brakes doesn't do much when u have to stop and the trailer pushes everthing along. Not directed at u skidder, just trying to explain :D

If u can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Posted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 1999 AU futura

NSW, Australia

I was ownly reffering to how a BA sedan would tow.

I have towed many cars before with my car trailer,at current i have an ED sedan which is my tow car.

As for the brake issue,a car trailer has brakes if they arent adjust properly they wont work thus the towing vehicle has to use its own brakes to pull up the extra weight.So if brakes on the trailer are working fine should have no problem when slowing down.

COMING SOON,XD WITH A TURBO...CLEVO STYLE

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG MkII Xr6t Ute

QLD, Australia

I stand corrected on the brakes, although I still believe if you intend to tow a car on a regular basis to get a car more suited to it.

I can't see why a BA would tow much differently to your current car except for any camber issues depending upon trailer/positioning of car.

EVL098 wrote:
Cramping in the hand from having it on your Wang for an excessive period of time is a definate con.
Seriously do people google "f**k up modifications for Fords owned by Jews" and get linked straight to this site nowadays?

AU,factory fitted tickford kit/IRS, t5,Sports ryder/KYB: gone.

Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: turbo ed, xr6 turbo

QLD, Australia

To answer ur quesion Kruptd, the BA will tow it well, better than ur ED because of weight /power difference.

If u can't fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

i towed ~2500kg with an ed xr6 wagon, stock with factory transmission cooler (auto). trailer did not have its own brakes

was pretty fried. couldn't cruise at 100km/h in final gear, it lost speed and kept having to switch to 3rd. had to either sit 80kmh or 110kmh to get it to stay in one gear. car was alright with power, could pull ok although engine was working very hard. trailer was very un-aerodynamic though, was a huge box on wheels...pretty much towing a square truck behind the car

brakes on the other hand. VERY bad. locked up the first red light i hit, even though i gave myself lots of space, they were ridiculously bad with all the weight behind them, it was surprising how badly the brakes held up. stock xr6 brakes.

if it's a one off, should be fine. if it's regular and the car is heavy, either upgrade the car to suit towing (definitely do brakes as a priority, power should be alright although a bit more wouldn't hurt), consider getting a v8...or just buy a landcruiser or something...

1: Mum's car: ED XR6 wagon.zorst,stereo
2: My cars: Holden Monaro CV8-Z 2005. ls1 v8 :)
3: Nissan 180sx.sr20det, ~180rwkw.Lotsa mods,0-100 in 5.2secs.crashed into pole :(
4: EB2 Fairmont. 5spd,2.5" zorst,hi-flow cat,extractors,wade977b,j3, plus a 152dB 200psi train horn

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: Fairmont Ghia BA 5.4L V8, AU 6

Power: 205 rwkw

WA, Australia

Hey Mate,

I used to tow a car trailer once a month in my AU no worries, so the BA should be sweet. Only thing i would suggest is getting a transmission cooler. My AU has done 320,000 and is still running the factory trans and engine. The trailer will need brakes too man.

Good Luck,

Chaos, Panic and Disorder. My work here is finally done.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4L. Mods -Full Exhaust, Chipped, Custom Intake, CAI @205.4RWKW.
Stezza - Alpine Type R Splits & 6x9's, Alpine 400w RMS 4ch, 380w RMS Pioneer Mono, 2x12" Pioneer Subs and an AVH-P5950DVD Player.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I think it depends on what you want to tow.

I towed a fully loaded furniture van (1200-1400kg?) on my old EF Fairmont Sedan. Had a rebuilt Auto and factory cooler.

Did a brilliant job, especially considering the aerodynamics. Still overtook cars uphill etc, it was 40 degrees that day and I had 3 people in the car and the Climate control on 16. It didn't complain one bit, could even keep up with the traffic from the lights without trying too hard.

I imagine a BA with the extra go and all the other improvements would be better again.

That said, if I were to regularly tow a decent amount of weight, I'd look at something bigger.

Remember too, its illegal to tow a weight more than the cars kerb weight. So for a BA sedan, around 1700kg.

Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont, XG Ute

I know Ford rate them to 2300kg for a braked trailer on the right towbar etc, but its still illegal to tow more than the cars kerb weight.

Funny isn't it.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]