BA FALCON HANDBRAKE 

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: BA FALCON HANDBRAKE
Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 2004 BA Falcon

SA, Australia

Can anyone tell me why my handbrake wont hold on my ba falcon sedan. I have fully adjusted the rear shoes to just clear the rotors with the handbrake relelased and then adjusted the cable up so the lever comes up about 4 clicks. Adjustment feels right but will not hold at all. If you put the car in drive with handbrake fully on it almost holds, but select reverse and its like its not even on. There is no way you can park on a hill relying on the handbrake,all thats stopping it from rolling away is the little pawl in the tranny when its in park! Anyone?

what is it with these wankers and their pod filters.....f#*ken too fast too furious crap! You do realise that big suck noise is for your engine and not your member.

Post subject: Re: BA FALCON HANDBRAKE
Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:24 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

anyone?

what is it with these wankers and their pod filters.....f#*ken too fast too furious crap! You do realise that big suck noise is for your engine and not your member.

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

pull your handbrake up three clicks then adjust your handbrake untill you cannot get the disk off, do this one notch at a time. then get someone to pull the handbrake on while you look at the lever on the back of the handbrake drum and make sure they travel the same distance on both sides.

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

tonyb62 wrote:
pull your handbrake up three clicks then adjust your handbrake untill you cannot get the disk off, do this one notch at a time. then get someone to pull the handbrake on while you look at the lever on the back of the handbrake drum and make sure they travel the same distance on both sides.

Been there done that....... any other tips?

Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

pull appart the rear h/brake assembly. They have a little 'd**k' that falls out of position.

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:11 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

eboost wrote:
pull appart the rear h/brake assembly. They have a little 'd**k' that falls out of position.

Where is this item located that your talking about,what does it locate on?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

it sits inside the hand brake adjuster. As the cable pulls foreward, this 'd**k' spreads the hand brake shoe out- basically speaking.

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:04 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

eboost wrote:
it sits inside the hand brake adjuster. As the cable pulls foreward, this 'd**k' spreads the hand brake shoe out- basically speaking.

Little d**k is there no worries.any other tips?

Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Power: 327 rwkw

WA, Australia

Well as per how i've always done it,
Back off the cable in the car till there is no tension, adjust up your shoes till it locks up the rears, then back it off enough to let go but enough again so it's not constantly dragging.
Then adjust up the handbrake lever till it only takes 5 - 7 clicks to become tight so it wont lift anymore.
If the brakes then squeal whilst driving then you need to back off the shoes a smidge.
If this is how you've done your adjustment and its still not holding then I'm stumped. If there is a problem then you'd have come across it already during the adjusting process........Just had a lightbulb go off whilst typing, check your cable for any signs of damage or crimping and that it moves freely inside the sheathing.
Thats all I've got.

Posted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:28 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Johnny C wrote:
Back off the cable in the car till there is no tension, adjust up your shoes till it locks up the rears, then back it off enough to let go but enough again so it's not constantly dragging.
Then adjust up the handbrake lever till it only takes 5 - 7 clicks to become tight so it wont lift anymore.
If the brakes then squeal whilst driving then you need to back off the shoes a smidge.
If this is how you've done your adjustment and its still not holding then I'm stumped. If there is a problem then you'd have come across it already during the adjusting process........Just had a lightbulb go off whilst typing, check your cable for any signs of damage or crimping and that it moves freely inside the sheathing.
Thats all I've got.

is it possible my cables are stretched so even though everything appears to be working ok its not? Im out of ideas this is driving me nuts.......ive got a nice car that would be classed as a defect at the moment because of this!!!!!

Posted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:33 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

au2man wrote:
Johnny C wrote:
Thats all I've got.

is it possible my cables are stretched so even though everything appears to be working ok its not? Im out of ideas this is driving me nuts.......ive got a nice car that would be classed as a defect at the moment because of this!!!!!

Cmon guys ive had 85 or so people look at this thread and yet no one has been able to point me in the right direction..... Many thanks to the ones that have helped with ideas but surely someones got to know. Pleassssssssssssssssssse !

Posted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

everybodys looking at this thread but im still none the wiser. Surely someone knows whats going on.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:52 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

au2man wrote:
everybodys looking at this thread but im still none the wiser. Surely someone knows whats going on.

bump.

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:31 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

The cable does stretch (from pulling it up too tight).

There's the brake shoe adjustment, that's probably fine (even before you redid it), then there's also a cable adjustment, hit it up, and you'll be right.

See the doco here
Attachment:
File comment: Parking brake adjustment procedure
206-05 Parking Brake and Actuation 4.pdf [151.9 KiB]
Downloaded 1676 times

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:42 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

data_mine wrote:
The cable does stretch (from pulling it up too tight).

There's the brake shoe adjustment, that's probably fine (even before you redid it), then there's also a cable adjustment, hit it up, and you'll be right.

See the doco here
Attachment:
206-05 Parking Brake and Actuation 4.pdf

Ive done all that........ is it possible the friction material on the shoes is causing my problem, overheated from being overadjusted at some stage or glazed up in some way?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next