Fordmods Logo

BA Falcon Wagon Brake Mystery? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Falcon Wagon Brake Mystery?
Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:58 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

So I've had the usual BA Brake shudder problem before with warped disks after relativly low K's. So about 2 years ago I upgraded to RDA Slotted all round and Bendix General CT pads. (I know ive read the reports about this combination of pads and disks but have had no problem at all in over 30,000km) Now the problem I'm having at the moment is that the shudder is back but only some of the time :roll: . I could be driving at any speed and brake, and it will shudder like the disks are warped, but then the next time I brake all is normal, no shudder :shock: . So i'm thinking something must be loose for it to be an intermittant problem but all the wheels off checked the disks (tight), checked the Caliper Mounts, (all tight). I couldnt find any fluid leaks, hot spots on the disks or cracks. The only thought I'm having now is that it might be somthing with the ABS playing up? (There is no warning lights flashing up on the dash other than lighting up at start up.) Its got me stuffed. It is a 2002 model (one of the first BA's) so age might be a factor. Does any of the BRAINS TRUST here an idea of the possible cause?

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Post subject: Re: BA Falcon Wagon Brake Mystery?
Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:08 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: Bionic BA MkII XR6

Power: 175 rwkw

WA, Australia

OK - sounds similiar to what I just had fixed.

My car would start vibrating at freeway speeds - with no pedal application - it was the ABS slightly coming on and off. I also had brake shudder on stopping too.

It was only explained briefly to me and i am not familiar with the workings.
Brake shudder was warped rotors and hot spots so got new rotors.

Other problem - apparently there are two possible causes - there is a rod between the master cylinder and the booster - and if this comes loose it can cause it - apprantly.
And there is some threaded rod with a nut on it from the brake pedal to the brake workings - apparently this nut was comuing loose - so they adjusted it and thread locked it.

So far so good :)

BIONIC 2005 BA Mk2 XR6 - XR8 Snorkle - Typhoon 2nd CAI - K & N Panel Filter - polished BBM intake - polished ceramic coated Pacemaker 4490 headers - Magnaflow 3.5" high flow Cat - Full mandrel stainless exh syst - 4speed SSS -BPT Custom tune - 20% UDrive - XR8 Calipers/rotors - 175 rwkw

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

As your using General CT's and slotted rotors I would suggest you change your pads and machine the rotors. I know you said you've had no trouble. Maybe your light on the brakes. I had brake shudder that started out intermittently and then got so bad it was dangerous, particularly if braking from high speeds.
Using general CT's with slotted rotors doesn't so much as warp the rotors, it leaves brake compound between the slots. The rotors become uneven, not smooth and this is were the shudder comes from.
I changed to Bendix heavy duty as they were recommended by Bendix and DBA.

If you've still got shudder after doing this, then start looking elsewhere.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:36 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford BA FUTURA 2002Ded Gas Wagon

VIC, Australia

Hmmm somthing to think about. Thanks for the input guys i'll try changing the pads first and see what difference that makes.

I'm constantly surrounded by IDIOTS!!
Guns and Rockets mounted on cars? Vote NOW on Licence reforms.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]