BA'o'Matic install PICS 

Page 2 of 6 [ 79 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 10:46 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Hey Dellboy,

Well done. Seems like everything is coming along.

But my fears would be the life of the box. I know Ford built in some torque limiting smarts into the BA ECU to limit the torque and power during a manual shift so you dont kill the box. If you dropped your car into second at say 100km/h, does it still have the same slam into gear effect if you had a conventional shifter.

Also, how are you gettng it to shift. Are you using the position selector wire in the loom, or controlling the solenioid yourself. In case of the later, I'd hate to see what would happen if you pushed the thing into first at 100km/h.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EA Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

It using a voltage sent to the gearbox, via the TCU, which means that there is no manual shift, hence alot smoother, and that also means that its like kicking the gearbox down by planting your foot, if it is not supposed to goto 2nd at 100k's an hour it wont, best I have been able to test, and I do not expect the gearbox to have a shorter life by all that much (no worse then fitting a shift kit).

Full working BA Shifter now upgraded to BF Shifter.
BA headlight inserts in my EA headlights.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Ok. Now I see... Was just curious.

If the TCU is doing the shifting, it wouldnt cause any problems to the trans. Just a normal wear and tear. They must do something different in the BA's that need this torque limiting during shifts.

But that also leads me to ask one more thing. Since I have managed to secure a BA hire car while im away (And by the way, I cant find the difference between a MK1 and MK2 falcon, apart from the badge on the boot. But it does drive nice since its only got 2000km on the clock) I have been playing with the manual shifts.

If you drop the thing into second, it will not kick down into first when you plant your foot. Same if you are doing 50km/h and put into 4th, it still wont shift down. Does the control you have over the trans do this. Or will it kick down when you plant your foot?

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Mine kicks down, the BA's hold the gear and only the gear :(

In the BA when you roll to a stop (or around 5-10kmh), you will find it has now selected 1st for you, what a nice car :)

The torque limiting would be to make the gearbox smoother operating, even in econ mode if I launch hard and then take my foot off at say 50k's it basically hard shifts to 2nd not smooth at all.

I am currently looking into fixing the issue of holding gears, but feel it may require virtually building my own trans ECU (that would be so cool, complete control over shift points and everything), but I think thats going just a little too far :wink:

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Awesome stuff, i love reading how your having such success on this unique modification!
Dont listen to fuz, he just jealous lol, nah i can see where both of you are coming from and im happy we dont all do the same things, how boring it'd be!
Do you think its any faster off the line now? :wink:

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:18 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Yeah... The BA thoughtfuly kicks into first at really low speeds, which isnt such a bad idea. Id hate to see how much stress is put on the engine/trans if your trying to take off from a standing start in 4th. Being a hire car, I would definately try to see this, but not in my own.. :D

My understanding of the torque limiting was to provide a soft shift when its in manual mode, as this is where alot of damage can be done, on manual shifts.

I guessed it wouldnt be holding gears, but I was wondering if you worked out a way to make it happen. Good luck in trying to make your own trans ECU. Would be an interesting concept...

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well I have just read the Ford manual on BA SS (perf mode), and says it will kick down when pushed, so I can only guess that it kicks down less readily then what my gearbox/trans computer does, so while it does hold the gear it WILL kick down (full throttle basically from low speed) anywone car to test it out in a BA.

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:24 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

I was trying it out last night...

From holding 50km/h in 4th and plant foot to floor and it didnt kick down.

Maybe its a MK2 difference...

Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Can you try the test in 3rd gear maybe.

They say it has 3 modes:
- Adaptive Automatic Mode
- Perfromance Automitve Mode
- Manual Mode

But its not clear on how to get into each mode.

I am guessing that:
- Adaptive Automatic Mode = Drive position (econ on my car)
- Perfromance Automitve Mode = Flickng the gear shift across (3rd in BA and currently 4th in my car)
- Manual Mode = As soon as you flick it up or down a gear, you are now in manual mode and that is that.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: VL RB30E

VIC, Australia

ok just to comfirm here have u got it able to be shifted up and down when u chose when u slide it to the left???
if u had how hard would it be to wire up (elec) sum buttons onto the steering weel for a f1 style shift???

Spooling soon...

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Marmo aka GRNGOB wrote:
ok just to comfirm here have u got it able to be shifted up and down when u chose when u slide it to the left???
if u had how hard would it be to wire up (elec) sum buttons onto the steering weel for a f1 style shift???

Yes I have it shifting up and down the gears when you slide it the left, the electronics side of things is currently under development and will change.

Yes buttons on the steering wheel would be easily done, so anyone just wanting the shift control you can have it, the actual logistics and connections to the buttons etc would take some work, but the gearbox control module will be around 140 (TBC) and the gear select display around 60 (TBC) if you are interested.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hats off delboy - looks like a lot of time, effort and research has gone into this project.

Regarding kickdown... i have a switch at the moment which, when in 'off', stops the vehicle speed signal coming from the dash to the TCM. The transmission is therefore blind as to what speed the car is doing. This prevents it from kicking back - i.e. if i leave the shifter in 3rd, the trans stays in 3rd no matter what TPS says. Unfortunate side effect is that 4th gear is locked out (would prob change to 4th if i redlined in 3rd - but that's a bit too much speed for my liking, lol). Anyways, just a though.....

Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing :wink:

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:43 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

4.9 EF Futura - thanks for that info, might be able to get the BA Shifter running exactley as it is in the BA then, 4th gear would not be a problem as VSS can be monitored and the gearbox told to goto 4th gear at say 150kph like the BA's or whatever.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:03 am 
Fordmods Junkie

VIC, Australia

Dellboy,

Info you were after... When left in D, the trans is in adaptive mode (worst thing Ford ever did), when you push it left it goes into performance mode and highest gear seems to be 3rd. But it will shift itself between 1,2 and 3 as per normal.

And once you move the shifter to select a gear into manual mode, it stays locked in that gear until the speed drops below that 15km/h mark when the ECU automatically drops the trans back into first.

Posted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that info, I am planning on making an improvent on that if all goes well.

Here is my plan:

D is adaptive mode (I dont have it so who cares), when you flick it accross it will select 3rd gear and be in performace mode (if you are in 4th, or 3rd to start with), otherwise if you are in 1st or 2nd and flick it accross it will instantly choose that gear and go into manual mode, will also drop to 1st in manual mode when you get to 5/10kmh or less.

If what 4.9 EF posted works then holding gears will also happen.

Updates to come after re-programming of chips and more road testing, stay tuned.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 6  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next