Fordmods Logo

BA - Seeking Advice on Sway/Stabilizer Bar 

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

With the old swaybar on, in a corner I was getting significant front outside down, rear inside up body attitude. When driving, that feels like I've got excessive roll in the front. Stiffening the front has reduced that for me. I don't know if I've used the right words or explanation, but I hope that clears it up.

There was a guy on eBay selling them for about $100.

Real easy to fit. 1 bolt either side to each tie, two bolts on each body clamp. I just raised the front of the car and slid in there and did it all in less than an hour - including the jacking and dropping. It appears to have been engineered for a quick swap too.

Lukeyson

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

Lukeyson wrote:
With the old swaybar on, in a corner I was getting significant front outside down, rear inside up body attitude. When driving, that feels like I've got excessive roll in the front. Stiffening the front has reduced that for me. I don't know if I've used the right words or explanation, but I hope that clears it up.

I enjoy developing understanding, i'm teaching myself here too. It seems like you had a combination of dive (front down, back up) and roll.

The swaybar has no direct effect on dive, both sides just swing up freely. It will reduce bottoming of the outside front suspension though if you hit a bump. The dive is now less because you aren't braking, or braking as much, when you enter corners/roundabouts. You should actually do your braking before you enter corners.

The roll is now less because you've increased the roll resistance.

Quote:
There was a guy on eBay selling them for about $100.

Can't complain about that price!

Quote:
It appears to have been engineered for a quick swap too.

They like to get things in quickly at the factory too.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR8, SX Ghia, WQ XR4

NSW, Australia

Man, the more I drive this thing now, the happier I am. It is such a significantly improved car to drive now through fast corners that I am kicking myself for not having done it much sooner.

I highly recommend it for anyone else with a BA XR8. I guess I can't vouch for later models because of the engineering changes.

Which begs the question, what exactly did change between the models on the XR8? - BA MKI, BA MKII, BF MKI etc I've recollection that there were springrate changes, not sure about stabilizers though.

Lukeyson

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2