Fordmods Logo

BA Tremec 5 speed upto a T-5 bellhousing? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: BA Tremec 5 speed upto a T-5 bellhousing?
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:48 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: No fords at the mo' :-(

NSW, Australia

Hi guys,

Does a BA Tremec 5 speed bolt up to a T-5 bellhousing?

Cheers

Chasing 162mph on the Salt! 4.2L. Both race cars now sold! :-( Maybe a small-block tractor puller! or a Lotus 7 Clubman is next! or a 351-stroker powered EB ... ?

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 30 images

Ride: Blown XR8

VIC, Australia

If this is for your ED, it wont just bolt up.
I also thought there was something to do with the input? shaft being set a fair bit further away than an EL one, so i'm imaginging the ED would probably be the same?
Otherwise if it does fit, Geoff Dellow will make up a bellhousing to suit that box for around the $500-$600 mark.

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Hmmmmmmmmm .............. puzzled .........

No its not for the ED, now the ED has been relegated to being a tow vehicle for my race car.

But I have two projects on the go at the moment, and on both I am considering using a strong 5 speed manual (Not a Toyota 5 speed) and both of them have T-5 bellhousings available. And so I was wondering if I would be able to step up to a BA Tremec 5-speed with a minimum of fuss, there seems to be a fair few around for sale at the moment.

Cheers

Chasing 162mph on the Salt! 4.2L. Both race cars now sold! :-( Maybe a small-block tractor puller! or a Lotus 7 Clubman is next! or a 351-stroker powered EB ... ?

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BA XR8, XD Fairmont Ghia

VIC, Australia

are you talking about a BA V8 tremec box or a 6cyl one , and are you talking about fitting it to a 6cyl or 5ltr, what sort of car it going into?

without this info , this thread is pointless :D

Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Well.............

Ummm ...........

Project number one is my 'Sport Sedan'. A gutted, cut 'n' shut Volvo 240. 160kw at the wheels and weighs stuff all ...... it has a close-ratio Volvo Motorsport 4 speed at the moment ....

Project number two is becoming a 4.2L Holden V8 ..... I am to be chasing 250+ mph at the dry lakes .......

Probably not what you wanted to heat huh? LOL

If it is any consulation, Project 3, which is in its early stages will be another Volvo 240 Sports Sedan with a Ford 5.0 full of Larkham - Orccon Motorsport bits!

Cheers,

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:50 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I almost bought one of these boxes to put in my XB - Until I spoke to Mal Wood... Yep They're cheap, but that is because they only fitt Boss 5.4's.
The shift rail detents and input shaft bearings are all housed in the back of the bell housing, so you can't take it off and throw it. And the bell housing - block bolt pattern is different from windsor/clev. as well. You would have to make an adaptor plate (ring) between the block & gearbox or cut off the flange & weld on the new one, then running the risk of distortion of the machined bits around the input shaft & shift rails.
It won't worry you with a race car, but the other downer for anyone intending on installing one in a streeter is that the BA's use an averaged signal from the ABS sensors for their speedo's , so there is not even a bunghole in the extension housing for a speedo drive....
Bummer eh?

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]