BA XR6T trans cooler 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: BA XR6T trans cooler
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

My mate has a 2003 BA XR6T and wants to put a trans cooler on it.

Problem is that we are unsure which one and where it would go.

I think that it will be between the intercooler and the radiator but i havnt seen if there is a gap or not so i am unsure. My mate thinks that it will make everything else hotter but i doubt that.

I am sure ford do a trans cooler kit for these guys???

Has anyone done this or know of this?

Ben

HOLDENS go like rockets. They fall apart in stages!!!

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

I had to put mine in the front guard behind the drivers side foglight, there's stuff all real estate up the front especially if you have an aftermarket intercooler. You won't get much cooling anyway even if you do manage to wedge it in there somehow which I doubt will happen with any decent sized cooler. Mine's all aftermarket though, not from Ford. Just get that transmission cooler out of the radiator :)

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:26 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

Don't know if this is big enough for him, but this is what is fitted to my RTV from the factory etc., http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-BA-BF-TOWIN ... dZViewItem

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

eagleaus wrote:
Don't know if this is big enough for him, but this is what is fitted to my RTV from the factory etc., http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-BA-BF-TOWIN ... dZViewItem

Don't think that will fit an XR6T.. just not enough room up front.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:49 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I've seen one mounted horizontally. Definately a good idea to get one in there any way you can do it. Have a look at PWR's offerings.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

Does the car we're talking about still have the factory intercooler or an aftermarket one? That will really decide what you can do.

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:05 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: Falcon RTV

QLD, Australia

The cooler on the RTV's are fitted right along the top of the radiator.Correct me if i am wrong, but standard intercoooler is fitted low towards the bottom half of the radiator

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:12 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

WA, Australia

there is one i think made for an xr6t which was going to be fitted to mine but it was found that it was too wide to fit anywhere up in the front guard, don't know who it was made by, but there was no real thought put into it.
I eventually had one for a standard BA put in which was a bit deeper than the other but not as wide.
Still a tight squeeze but managed to fit it above the intercooler, hasn't made any change to my rad temp

the xr6t one was silver and the standard BA cooler was black, its a b**ch of a job to do just for the cooler but well worth it, i had it done after my stcok one split and i got water into my trans. Be good to get a dipstick for it as well, requires a bit more work though

BA XR6 Turbo

Xtreme Tuned
240.1 rwkw at 12 PSI

Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Standard intercooler. He will be doing upgrades to the car later but probably not the intercooler as yet.

So you guys think that it does f**k all for cooling of the trans because there simply isnt room there for it.

What else do you guys suggest doing. He was told to put one in by the trans guys that are doing his trans but we are researching the matter before anything is done.

What else do you turbo guys recommend for turbo upgrades, i know that this should be in the trubo section but i thought id ask here. He is thinking of the KPM kit to get a but more go. Pitty its a family car.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

stomper wrote:
Standard intercooler. He will be doing upgrades to the car later but probably not the intercooler as yet.

So you guys think that it does f**k all for cooling of the trans because there simply isnt room there for it.

What else do you guys suggest doing. He was told to put one in by the trans guys that are doing his trans but we are researching the matter before anything is done.

What else do you turbo guys recommend for turbo upgrades, i know that this should be in the trubo section but i thought id ask here. He is thinking of the KPM kit to get a but more go. Pitty its a family car.

Just get that transmission cooler out of the radiator, that's the best thing you can do for it. If you want to be kind to your transmission you should put the transmission cooler somewhere with a bit more room for the air to move too.

As far as upgrades go an edit will get the thing to go like the clappers, family car or no. Mechanical upgrades will depend on what stage edit you go for.. have a look at capas website for an idea what you'll need for various power hikes.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

So we should just stop the trans running through the radiator all together and just have a large aftermarket cooler?

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Definately get a trans cooler - specially in an XR6T, better still get rid of the tranny and geat a gearbox.

Go to fordxr6turbo.com or whatever that site is that dedicated to them, heaps of people on there that have done it, they'll be far more knowledgable on what to use and how to do it.
As I said the best I've seen so far had it mounted horizontally at the bottom of the front bar.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Yeah he tried signing up to them but hasnt recieved his email.

He wont go manual because he likes the autos over the manuals and family members that drive it dont know how to drive a manual. Keeping in mind its a family car.

Posted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: XH B&S ute, Navara 4x4

Power: 202 rwkw

SA, Australia

Hey stomper I really think the trick is to get that heat out of the radiator not try to drop the trans temp. I reckon under the guard is the best bet with just a standard cooler. Gotta be better than a standard rad cooler. 8-)

You'll ride a black tornado across the western sky

You'll rope an ol' blue norther and milk it 'till it's dry

Bulldog the Diamantina pin its ears down flat

Long before you take this cowboy's hat

Posted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:39 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Just get the cooling for the trans out of the radiator for the safety of the trans as the radiators are a problem in BA's

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]