Fordmods Logo

bearing grease 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: bearing grease
Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:27 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

Well i have a new problem now :( i just recently put new rotors, bearings, pad etc in and have another thread about the brake problems i had, but this is a new problem.

When i done the bearings i used HI TEMP wheel bearing grease and about 2 days after driving the car again the grease has started leaking down the front of my rims. i checked to make sure the cap was on and it was nice and tight.

I decided to let it go and see if it stops. well that didnt happen and now the steering shakes at 100-110kmh and when breaking around a corner once you let the break go the front clunks.

So now that i have to re pack the bearings can anyone tell me what brand of grease wont run once it warms up??

i used a penrite grease before i will post up the exact one i used tonight after work.

Bucko

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Did you replace the seals on the inner of the rotor? if you did and they were not seated correctly you will never get the preload right and it will leak grease. If you didnt replace them you should have as they may be damaged or worn.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:31 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yes i did replace the seals as i put on dba slotters i had to get a new seals and bearings as my old bearings were a little dodgy and you end up breaking the seals when you remove them from the rotor.

the seals were seated properly there is no grease leaking out at the back of the rotor and there is no dirt or grease over the abs ring or sensor, its only leaking out the front. :(

could the cap on the front be stuffed even though it goes back on nice and tight?

Bucko

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

As joolz said, they need to be all they way home otherwise you will have trouble. Also if you have the bearings done up to tight then it may be melting the grease due to heat. Are the cups a snug fit , perhaps the rotors are out of tolerance.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Sounds like the cups may be too small or scored on the outer. You can try flaring the cup slightly with a socket a fraction larger than the inner of the cup.

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:49 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

the seals were seated all the way. the seals were sitting about 5 mm into the rotors once they were in completely, i think i have a pic of it when it was done ill post it tonight if i can find it.

I will be p****d if it is the rotors as they were brand new dba slotted rotors. The rotors came with cups already in them i test fitted the bearings into the cups in the rotors before greasing it all up and they sat the same as the cups that came with the bearings. i figured id use the ones already in the rotors as the rotors were a direct replacement for the standard ones and they were new.

the bearings were done up to the specs in the ford manual. dont quote me but i think it was something like 30nm while rotating rotor then back off 2 turns then do up to 5nm or something like that.

Bucko

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I was referring to the rotor cap not the bearing cone. I think most people would suggest removing the cone and replacing it with the one that is matched to the bearing.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

ah... yes the cap is a tight fit, i had to put new spilt pins the next day and they were hard to get off. i might go buy new ones and see if it makes a difference.

i didnt want to remove the cones as the part numbers matched on the small front one as i could see the part number on the one in the rotor. and as the rotors were a direct replacement for the standards i didnt think it would be a problem.

seeing as i have to re-pack the bearings again i might put the other coners in, but i wouldnt have thought they would be so missmatched as to make the grease run due to heat.

what grease/brand to other people use?? maybe the grease i used wasn't up to it? but it did say it was hi temp grease sutable for wheel bearings.

Bucko

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I am using Penrite Extreme pressure Grease (blue stuff) from supercheap. I have not had a problem with it since I removed the casting sand from the rotors!

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: GTHO PH 1 EF ex chaser

QLD, Australia

Just a thought :!: how much grease did you use as too much grease can cause this problem as there is not enough room in the hub for heat expansion and so leaks develop. :shock:

Rotten Old Revhead!!! XW GTHO + EF ex cop car (exractors 2.5 cat back zorst !6" Simmons K&N +airbox mods Lowered with Bilstein shocks+Whiteline Bars NEXT THING Swap HO for GTP or Ferrari!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]