Fordmods Logo

Bearing.....tailshaft into trans? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Bearing.....tailshaft into trans?
Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi all,

I think I need to do as much of the work on my AU as I possibly can, there is too much to do and I need to save the $$$.

One thing the mechanic mentioned is a bearing, but I can't exactly remember what bearing he called it - is there one between the transmission and the tailshaft? Does that sound right? I think he quoted about $150 or so to do it.

If so, whats it called? ie, if I wanted to search for it to find how to do it myself (or at least see its possible for a noob to replace at home), what would I search for?

Thanks

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:45 am 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

There are thrust bearings in the trans around that area or between the trans and motor you have the spigot bearing?? Do any of those sound familiar?

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: FALCON EB TURBO, EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Between the transmission and the tailshaft?
No bearings but there is a bush and seal in the extension housing, would that be it?

Or the bearings in the tailshaft yoke?

FALCAHOLIC

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU EVEN TRIED

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:57 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks Flash, I think I remember him saying the extension housing, so I'm pretty sure its that.

Is it a home job for a inexperienced person?

Edit: On doing a search I think I might just let the mechanic do it. :)

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: 2009 FG XR6 Sedan

VIC, Australia

Its the extension housing bush and seal. You need a press to replace the bush. The easiest way is to remove the driveshaft and then the extension housing. Have a transmission place to replace the bush and seal which should only take them a few minutes. A tip is to clean the extension housing first. It cost me to have mine done about $25.00 all up.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

You can do it yourself, i replaced mine when the bush slipped out into the extension housing!!!

its auto yeah? This is how to do it on a EB, things will different for a AU Ive never looked under one.

Take the sump off the tranny (its a good excuse for an oil change) and drain the oil.

Take the tailshaft off, undo the handbrake cable by taking the r clip out (drivers side) and then pull the metal plate out. This will loosen the cable and allow you to unhook it from the opposite side (p.s.)

Grab a couple of self taping screws and screw them into the seal. using a claw hammer on the screws pry the seal out. DONT pry it out with a screw driver!!! this will damage the extension housing and prevent the new seal from um... sealing.

hold up the tranny with a jack under the bell housing (put a block of wood on the top of the jack) then drop the cross member.

From memory its a 13mm socket that will undo the funny shaped head on the bolts, This cant be a six sided socket it needs to be one with all the ridges inside.

The extension housing will just slide off (maybe with a tap or two from a suitable persuader). then turn it so the bush end is up and with a suitable drift drive the bush CARFULLY out of the housing. carefully tap the new one in and then the new seal

HINT: put some all purpose grease around the seal and especially on the inside in the gap where the little spring is, this will stop the spring from coming off when you tap it in!

then repeat the above but in reverse.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Oh and by different between EB and AU i mean mainly the handbrake. everything else should be the same/similar.

Oh and take the bolts out of the bracket that clamps from the extension housing to the exhaust... forgot that bit.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Thanks for taking the time for the explanation - and althought it doesn't sound too hard, that will take me a week I reckon!!! Might leave it to the pros.

I've got a few things to do that I think I can do myself though:

Diff seal and oil change
Coolant flush
Water pump. Damn thing started leaking at the o-ring/heater pipe after the first flush I did when I bought this car. I can do the coolant same time, and the belt too which looks like its cracking a bit since it needs to come off anyway.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

You dont have to drain the transmission to remove the extension housing.

Posted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah but while your there you may as well. Plus when you have the tranny on that angle it'll piss oil eveywhere anyway.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:07 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

FLASH wrote:
Yeah but while your there you may as well. Plus when you have the tranny on that angle it'll piss oil eveywhere anyway.

Firstly the car in mention is an AU which doesnt have a dipstic to fill the trans unlike the EB. So the car has to be level and filled from the fill plug on the trans which can only be done with the entire car level and raised (no fluid pissing out from a big angle). If the trans doesnt need a service just have the rear raised on ramps or stands to remove the rear of the driveshaft from the diff (mark where driveshaft meets the diff flange, then for the front of the shaft mark the bottom and remove without turning. This ensures the shaft is installed in original phasing for driveline balance), have the front up on stands to gain access to the trans for the extension housing. You may have to support the trans with a jack as you have to remove the trans mount. With the bush and seal trust me its alot faster and easier to have a trans place do it for you. I have a trans in the shed if you need pics on what to remove.

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

firstly: the angle i mention is when you drop the gearbox down a bit to gain access to the top bolts on the extension housing. And as i said in my first post support the box with a jack.

Secondly: COMMON sense would tell you to have the car on four stands wouldn't it? you can hardly get under the centre of the car with just the front or rear up in the air. Why struggle under s**t when you can have it high up and just slide underneath? . f**k i don't think i need to hold his hand the whole way through and mention EVERYFKNTHING and tell him how to jack up a car.

You mention jacking the back then the front. then what jack the whole car level to fill the oil?
Sounds like a lot of hassle considering you can do it all on the level with the whole car 3 feet in the air.

The fact of the matter is as soon as you take out the tailshaft = oil

As soon as you crack the extension housing off the gearbox = oil

If your going to loose that much oil just change it it isn't that expensive.

FALCAHOLIC

Posted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

FLASH wrote:
. f**k i don't think i need to hold his hand the whole way through and mention EVERYFKNTHING and tell him how to jack up a car.

:lol: :lol:

Ok boys, play nicely. :)

Posted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 Au wagon

NSW, Australia

when my extention houseing was replaced no oil came rushing out,,about 4 drops and that was it.

and the box was over full,,removed the plug and about half a litre of oil came out.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]