best tyres for standard EL fairmont ghia 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: best tyres for standard EL fairmont ghia
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

hi guys,

I have a 97 EL fairmont ghia with standard wheels and i need new tyres for it. What should i go for? Currently i have goodyears on the back and they are pretty s**t (very little grip in wet and worn quickly), and michelin energy xm1's on the front (wearing very slowly and seem like a good tyre).

Thanks,

Louie

Post subject: Re: best tyres for standard EL fairmont ghia
Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Best tyres. That's a hard one to answer.

What do you want? Mega grip? Good handling? Long life? Tyres are a compromise between those factors. I always look at what I can afford to spend on tyres, then find the best that is within my budget at the time. Except for my mighty boy, I bought the only tyres I could get at the time in that size (165/45 R15) and they have turned out to be pretty damn good for the money too!

Worst tyres I have bought were some Toyo's, probably the best was a Regal (pacific dunlop brand).

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:01 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 1997 EL Ford Fairmont Ghia

QLD, Australia

not sure on the budget yet as i cant find any prices online, but i am looking for wet weather performance, low noise and high mileage. Not so fussed about crazy grip coz i dont really give it to the car that much, but im over feeling like the back of the car is on skates in the wet.

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:57 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el falcon

NSW, Australia

Hi,

The xm1's are a good tire and will definitely for-fill all the characteristics of what you mentioned. I'm running them all round at the moment.a personal favorite off mine all ways has been perreli. You could look at a p6.

Good luck

James

Posted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:29 am 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

I am going to assume regular driving. I would look at Yokohama C.Drives, great feel good life from the tyre, grippy and sure footed. Solid wet weather tyre as well. On of the biggest selling tyres in Japan, who, lets face it, have similar weather conditions to ourselves.

My wife has seen almost 50,000 km out of her set on her little astra, Until recently it was all I ran on my Coon, Budget and C.Drives in 18" didn't quite line up, On replacement of my current tyres I will be fitting C.Drives again.

A slightly cheaper version of the C.Drives is the A.Drive, again a good tyre.

If you are still running the 15" factory rims, I think you are looking at about $140 a corner inc fitting and disposal. or there abouts.

Hope that helps.

I have a car.

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Wheels magazine 2008 tyre test rated the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 #1 for wet handling and #2 overall. The Pirelli P6000 was second in the wet, but best overall. But this info may be out of date now. I haven't driven either of them.

I would recommend Goodyear F1 GS-D3 as an awesome all-round tyre (esp in the wet), if you can afford it. But I'm not sure they are made in your size, or how long they will last. FWIW.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: Envi EF

NSW, Australia

efxr6wagon wrote:
Wheels magazine 2008 tyre test rated the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 #1 for wet handling and #2 overall. The Pirelli P6000 was second in the wet, but best overall. But this info may be out of date now. I haven't driven either of them.

There is no way I would ever recommend P6000's.... they are fkn rubbish. Bridgestone? 'Supercats' are a better tyre FFS, the Pirelli's are deadly in the wet.
4th gear wheelspin in the wet with a stock motor? Yes, at 20 or 80ks.
Four wheel slides in the wet? Yes... even when going a lot slower than surrounding traffic..
They were the sketchiest tyre I've ever driven on, hence why they went on to steelies and got belted.

>>>EF Futura T build<<<

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]