Fordmods Logo

Binding brakes? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Binding brakes?
Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

Hi guys, my wife just took our EL Falcon XR6 for its WOF (NZ 6 monthly compulsory check) and it failed because the tester reckoned that both front and rear brakes were binding so he couldn't check the wheel bearings. The brakes tested fine on the rolling road. I rebuilt the front calipers and this solved the front problem. (corrosion in the bores). When i disconnected the rear calipers, they were quite free. I jacked the whole back of the car off the ground and removed both calipers and discs. The hubs were just as difficult to turn. This is my first car with a LSD. Is this normal?
I have recently refilled the diff with Castrol SAF-XA to cure a rather upsetting knocking noise which it did instantly. Could this have contributed to it?

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

LSD should be a little harder to turn than a normal diff but not excessive. If u replaced the oil to cure or cover a diff noise then maybe you have a problem with bearings or crown and pinion gears.

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

I guess it depends on what I term hard to turn. I can turn the wheels by hand but they stop almost immediately when you release them. When turning one wheel, the other wheel turns in the same direction and the driveshaft turns.

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

An LSD will turn every thing back to the gear box so should be harder to turn and will stop turning when you stop, but at the same time should`nt be overly hard

ef fairmont ghia 5.0L
classy cruiser

Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

New Zealand

That is what I thought. I will take it back for a retest on Tuesday myself and see what they are playing at. The car drives well and having only a morrie van and a ford ka to compare against then it could be normal.
Notes learned that may be of interest to others-
1) Back axle clicking and banging on trailing throttle and when reversing slowly. Sounded like axle about to fall off. Been doing it for the last 100,000km (256,000 on clock) fixed instantly with a refill of the new Castrol SAF-XA gear oil with the built in additive.
2) Put the little rubber covers on your bleed nipples on the front calipers. Mine were missing and the nipples had filled up with water and corroded from the inside out. Hell of a mess.
3) Make sure you lubricate the caliper seal well and push the piston home square or you will bite a chunk out of the seal and it will leak and you will need to go back to Repco to get another seal kit to find they only stock 2 in each store and you have already bought and ruined one so have to travel 40 km each way to next Repco store.
sigh......

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]