Page 2 of 3 [ 31 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:00 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

mystro wrote:
did you shave your studs? your original studs might be causing the clearance issues,
hub adaptors are not illegal in nsw.the nuts are counter sunk so you actually have more metal on the spigot than a stockie sorry to burst peoples internet theories
my car is insured with them on the policy with nrma at no extra cost
spacers are dangerous and illegal
beware cheap quality non billet products
beware deep dish rims , beware high profile tyres
i have put a 13" crack in an an 18"rim and i still use the same billets
and i give them ported and polished tickford powah through the 80km round abouts next to my house all the time
hub adaptors are the best
and are the easyiest way to get max rim size ,maximum track ,tyre width and tuck,
WITHOUT scrubbing and banging so i think they are much safer than an oversized rim

Another misinformed person
Quote:
The fitment of wheel spacers (or adaptors for dual wheel conversions) between the wheel mounting face
and the road wheel is not permitted unless fitted as original equipment by the vehicle manufacturer.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... 9_rev4.pdf

It is actually an ADR, states can only add extra requirements not reduce.

I wouldn't trust an insurance firm paying up if they failed, they would look further into it and use the fact they were not legal for that vehicle.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

I have adapters front and rear (ahem - hate to admit it, but there you go...) All four are 20mm thick.

This allows the front wheels to sit on the original hub, which supports the weight of the wheel. The back ones are a different profile... They sit over the hub and then have a lip that comes out to centre the wheel and support its weight via anything other than the studs. God bless whomever came up with that design, as I spent ages trying to find 0 offset wheels in NZ and they're all just expensive and not really suited to my wagon. Adapters are about the only option.

To sum up ---

They are legal in NZ as long as wheel is centred on something (such as original hub)....

I use the original Falcon style wheel nuts to bolt the adaptor on and then use the metric Japo nuts to hold the wheel on... Simple really. If a nut doesn't slide on nice and easy without threading itself then it's probably phucking itself and the thread...

As people above are fond of saying
=FAIL

Anyone who has put the wrong thread wheel nuts on is obviously a menace in waiting.

Unlike me (of course.. the jury is still out on the experiments with holding panels on with builders glue, using stainless nuts, wiring stereos with 3 phase cable....)...

Posted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

ok. i have some 19's from an au that i want fitted to my ef (for car shows only) they fit alright on the back but scrub on the front. is this what i need.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Wheel-Billet-Ada ... 240%3A1318

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

james88 wrote:
ok. i have some 19's from an au that i want fitted to my ef (for car shows only) they fit alright on the back but scrub on the front. is this what i need.

Those hub adapters have a different thread to the falcon, i think the falcon thread is metric 1.25, which is a fine thread, whereas the ones you are looking at are 1.5 metric a***, so you would need commodore etc wheel nuts. They say they are from NZ but are actually located at arncliffe nsw.

I think tempe tyres do one's similar to these for $130 pair delivered.

Don't know ultimately about the quality of either though.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:06 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 86 FE LTD Long,Black&Low

QLD, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
james88 wrote:

Those hub adapters have a different thread to the falcon, i think the falcon thread is metric 1.25, which is a fine thread, whereas the ones you are looking at are 1.5 metric a***, so you would need commodore etc wheel nuts. They say they are from NZ but are actually located at arncliffe nsw.

I think tempe tyres do one's similar to these for $130 pair delivered.

Don't know ultimately about the quality of either though.

I have fitted these to my ZL and fitment was really impressive, nicely snug all round, the nuts supplied to bolt the adapter to the hub were falcon 1/2 inch unf as needed but the studs pressed into the adapter are 12mm metric 2.5 pitch and are commodore fitment. No dramas as the nuts were supplied also.
Overall a good buy.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the correction on the falcon studs, since everything else i've played with on the falcon is metric i figured the studs would be too, apologies. But the ebay adapters do state the studs on the adapters as being 1.5 thread.

Which ones did you actually get, the ebay or tempe ones?

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

i think i will try the ebay ones the only prob is tho they say there is 4 and i only need 2 for the front

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

james88 wrote:
i think i will try the ebay ones the only prob is tho they say there is 4 and i only need 2 for the front

if you are going to bolts wheels on that arent made for your offset, then you should at least use 4 adaptors. No point having the rear wheels sink right into the guard, and the fronts sticking out..... will look funny, and wont be good for handling

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Use all four... Although with my ones the front are different to the back to support the different nature of the hubs. The front hub sticks out through a 20 - 25mm adapter where as the rear doesn't. Therefore, to maximise safety and legality, they have a lip that the wheel sits around to act as a hub meaning that the weight of the car is not supported only by wheel studs.

My car may be a bloody write off, so may have all sorts for sale depending on how things go. Pity I am looking at getting another exactly the same so I can start work on SON OF FUTURLANE. The missus is going to divorce me.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

ok thanks for the tips.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:14 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I recommend to go all four too, unless you have an unusual circumstance.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:12 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 86 FE LTD Long,Black&Low

QLD, Australia

relaxed_diplomacy wrote:
Thanks for the correction on the falcon studs, since everything else i've played with on the falcon is metric i figured the studs would be too, apologies. But the ebay adapters do state the studs on the adapters as being 1.5 thread.

The ebay ones from this exact seller, same advertisement and all. If u read the pitch he says he can supply for nearly all makes to fit any stud pattern/ offset and if u check out his other items for sale u can see the advertised items but has the same page to view just with a different header. I was sure the pitch on mine were 2.5 but i could be wrong on that as i didnt check it for myself only took his word for it. I will have to find out for sure as i was thinking of picking up some gold chrome nuts to suit as the ones supplied are hollow ended and isnt as appealing so i better make sure first.
One point is the difference in size of the new studs as opposed the originals on the hub itself. The 1/2 inch unf appear to be a lot larger in diameter than the 12mm metric even though there is only .5 mm or less in diametre difference the just dont look as strong as the fords.
But i guess if the commos run them then the should hold up fine.

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 94 Futura

NSW, Australia

2 years 2 cars no problems

In Henry I Trust

Posted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

I have them opn the rear of the terrorist, but not the front, but then my fronts have a different sub axle and upright so they are not needed.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

n00bus m@x1mus wrote:
relaxed_diplomacy wrote:

The ebay ones from this exact seller, same advertisement and all. If u read the pitch he says he can supply for nearly all makes to fit any stud pattern/ offset and if u check out his other items for sale u can see the advertised items but has the same page to view just with a different header. I was sure the pitch on mine were 2.5 but i could be wrong on that as i didnt check it for myself only took his word for it. I will have to find out for sure as i was thinking of picking up some gold chrome nuts to suit as the ones supplied are hollow ended and isnt as appealing so i better make sure first.
One point is the difference in size of the new studs as opposed the originals on the hub itself. The 1/2 inch unf appear to be a lot larger in diameter than the 12mm metric even though there is only .5 mm or less in diametre difference the just dont look as strong as the fords.
But i guess if the commos run them then the should hold up fine.

The ebay bloke told me about a week ago that he can't do 30mm, but tempe can.

The 12mm studs will look thinner than the 0.5mm difference if they have a a*** pitch. A a*** pitch has a smaller base diameter, and you see more of it. Because a a*** pitch has a smaller base diameter it is weaker than a fine pitch. So if the studs do have a a*** pitch, they would be weaker from both the 0.5mm reduction as well as a reduction in base diameter.

The commo weighed around 1250kg at first outing, but they seem to think the studs are still okay even though the car now weighs around what, in the case of a V8 crewman, 1900kg? - so at least for a ~1450kg e-series (my situation) they should be okay.

I grew up in a 1977 range rover, you should see the studs on those, maybe about 5/8' (16mm), which might be about twice as strong as 12mm, and they weigh about 1850kg, so the GVM may be less than a crewman? Different usage and wheel O.D. though.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next