Fordmods Logo

brake fade 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: brake fade
Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:40 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

was travelling down kangaroo valley in my XH over the weekend and got massive amounts of brake fade. was pushing it a bit then had to slow right down so i didnt go over. i've got slotted rotors on the fron would putting a bigger master cylinder and booster in make any difference and what would i get it off or what would i do to prevent this in the future??

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

Hmmm... brake fade is really a part of the physical world... cooling is essentially the cure, but with slotted and all... Better pads would be the next step. So, maybe Greenstuff or something.

But I would just recommending been easier on the brakes. try and use gears.. ie compression braking. And at the same time, try not to apply, or apply very little brakes, but with increments of no braking in between to allow cooling.
I guess if you take it that seriously, Joe at CMS has 4 spot barkes on the way... and fuzion has 2 pots on his... so bigger brakes are an option...??

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

hmm

slotted rotors are a good start, but useless without decent pads, ditch the shields behind the brake discs, flush your brake fluid out and get some decent stuff in there, etc

Banned

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 29 images

Ride: VU SS

NSW, Australia

Decent brake fluid should definately help, if the stuff you have is getting a bit old.

EF Fairmont now Sold!
Guides: Polishing|Modifications |Manual Conversion

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:42 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

yeah well i havent changed the fluid as such. just bled the brakes every now and then. but ok i can try that.
next time i've got the wheels off i'll get rid of the shields. and the pads are just standard replacement items.

i dont take it heaps seriously i just like to give it a bit of a go every now and then. and kangaroo valley is a place that i like to do that.

the problem with kangaroo valley is you can only compression brake so much before you have to apply the brakes at a decent rate as the descent gets very steep and you can pick up speed between hairpins rather quickly.

but i'll try those things mentioned and see how i go.

cheers guys

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: BA MkII XT Wagon

NSW, Australia

kangaroo valley is fun, made it from mossvale to nowra in 1/2 hour goin down there was fun trip

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

voxace wrote:
Decent brake fluid should definately help, if the stuff you have is getting a bit old.

Agreed, first thing I'd be looking at. Old brake fluid will cause fading as it heats up more.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:06 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

justfordima wrote:
But I would just recommending been easier on the brakes. try and use gears.. ie compression braking. And at the same time, try not to apply, or apply very little brakes, but with increments of no braking in between to allow cooling.

Don't use compression braking to slow down, that's what your brakes are for.

It costs very little to replace a set of pad/rotors, compared to a ger box/clutch.

Basically if you're getting brake fade you need to take it a little easier.

Good luck and smart driving!

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint

QLD, Australia

cds70 wrote:
justfordima wrote:

It costs very little to replace a set of pad/rotors, compared to a ger box/clutch.

if you're having brake fade issues or driving in a way that brake fade can/will occur, compression braking is the best option..... ask any truckie

Banned

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:09 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Interceptor wrote:
cds70 wrote:
justfordima wrote:

if you're having brake fade issues or driving in a way that brake fade can/will occur, compression braking is the best option..... ask any truckie

Appreciate what you are saying, but as any truckie will tell you they run on diesel, and compression plays a much greater role in their engines, and their vehicles are designed for compression braking . Besides that he's driving an XH ute, not a truck, and if he is getting brake fade through Kangaroo Valley because he's giving it a little stick, he needs to drive smarter not harder.

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

cds70 wrote:
Interceptor wrote:
cds70 wrote:
justfordima wrote:

Appreciate what you are saying, but as any truckie will tell you they run on diesel, and compression plays a much greater role in their engines, and their vehicles are designed for compression braking . Besides that he's driving an XH ute, not a truck, and if he is getting brake fade through Kangaroo Valley because he's giving it a little stick, he needs to drive smarter not harder.

Or he can upgrade his brakes!

If good pads/fluid don't do it. Maybe go the next step with DBA Gold brakes, or if your really keen go to GT brake conversion.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:12 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

cds70 - point taken... But I always got told to use compression braking if its a continous hill, to aboid brake fade. But I see what you are saying, basically to drive more carefully, and not foot flat through the valley.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII 5.8 NOS TerroristGhia

Power: 274 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Ring Joe at Crescent, Get his 4spot upgrade, I highly recommend it. As to DBA Gold, not worth the cash, Had them on the 5.0 pre 4 spotters and they dont rate at all.
Brett

The Terrorist ED Retired due to RUST.
The TerrosistGhia, EF Ghia 351 EFI 5 Speed.
Millennium Falcon, Sleeper EL DOHC 6 Speed Manual EFI LPG
Member#1131
I didn't Vote for Multiculturalism, DID YOU!!!

Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:40 pm 
Smokin em up

QLD, Australia

no worries. attempting all of this around work commitments but never the less still doing it.

thanks for the help guys

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]