Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: brake help!
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon ed gli sedan

QLD, Australia

hey there

i got a ed falcon.

the brakes on it in the last month have been getting quite loud. and just up until last week it sounds as if theres a grinding sound coming from the rear brakes. you can hear it in the car when you apply the brakes, it even sounds like there stuck in some instantances.

the front brakes are doing the same.

it queried if it was indeed the brake pads that needed a replace. so i went up the super cheap brought 2 pairs of bendix ones. THEN! took the back wheels off before and it looks to be a good amount of pad left.

hmmm.. if it is the brake pads. would a shop fit them for me if i supplied them. and how much.
and then theres a curse of having to machine the rotors.

any idea's on what it could be. i was told the other day. sometimes dirty brake lines clog and the backs stick on or something. easy fix? common.?!

Post subject: Re: brake help!
Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Did you have a look at the inside pad? they don't always wear evenly it may be that is grinding on the rotor.
It could also be the backing plate.

A mechanic should accept your parts, if he doesn't go somewhere else. Or you could do it all yourself.

You can get rotors machined for about $60 pair, cheaper if you can pay cash :wink:

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:13 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ford falcon ed gli sedan

QLD, Australia

checked the pads today.

they all seem ok, still a good amount of pad left. something i did notice though was how old they looked. they were quite a old looking set. all round.

i've got 2 new pairs to put on.

i noticed. the back wheels dont really spin that well to not at all! and when i drive off when cold. theres this nasty... vibrating brrrrrrr sound. like the handbrakes seized on. does this happen? there disc brakes. i thought i mostly happened on drums.

i've got a diy manual on the car. but it doesn't seem to explain all that much apart from how to dismantle stuff.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:52 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EF XR6

QLD, Australia

Your hand brake is a drum set up. If the car has ABS check that he sensor is no nicking the rear off the axle where it gets its reading from, that makes one hell of a BRRRRRRRR sound. you can adjust you handbrake from the inside of you drum with a medium flat blade screwdriver or if there is to much cable tension the adjustment is in the car on the handbrake lever. Look under the handbrake boot. If you think it might be getting a bit stuck pull the rotors off and spray the hell out of the assemerly with brake clean.

EF XR6 Manual 271RWHP/199RWKW N/A using Stock manifold with dual plane runners still operating. EFI Hardware 6TBM to come mid year.

Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Boosted ED XR6, EBII Mont Wgn

Power: 252 rwkw

VIC, Australia

waterstain wrote:
i got a ed falcon.

EA-ED only have rotors

It's not common that the calapiers seize but not unheard of. how old is the fluid?

[SEXYR-6] ED XR6 T5 Turbo Build
[EBW-347] EB Wagon V8 Stroker Build
FordMods Member #1761

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

i had to unsieze one off my au.... and every slide on all four wheels needed attention... trust me, with a little, (i mean very little) know how, anythings possible.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

xr6eat 50 wrote:
Your hand brake is a drum set up. If the car has ABS check that he sensor is no nicking the rear off the axle where it gets its reading from, that makes one hell of a BRRRRRRRR sound. you can adjust you handbrake from the inside of you drum with a medium flat blade screwdriver or if there is to much cable tension the adjustment is in the car on the handbrake lever. Look under the handbrake boot. If you think it might be getting a bit stuck pull the rotors off and spray the hell out of the assemerly with brake clean.

ED has not got a drum in disk handbrake. The caliper is the handbrake.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]