Brake issues 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Brake issues
Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:29 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NF Fairlane

ACT, Australia

Evening all,

I have an on-going brake issue with the mighty old NF Fairlane that I'm hoping someone can help me with.

Story;

A while back I had complete brake failure. Foot straight to the floor, bugger all braking ability. Managed to limp the car home.
I inspected as much as I could. Could find any obvious fluid leaks. The car has always had an unknown vacuum leak. Never been able to source the problem.
Didn't really find anything obvious. Got the s**t and walked away.
Next morning, after the car had cooled down - everything seemed better. The brakes were spongy, but at least they worked.
A while later I finally got around to bleeding the brakes. There was a *heap* of air in them. So there must have been a leak somewhere. We re-inspected everything and found a leak in the Cruise Control Emergency switch on the master cylinder. Fixed this.

Fast forward to Saturday arvo.
I was heading down Mac Pass; just got into Albion Park and same thing. Foot straight to the floor. Seeing as I already dont trust the brakes that much, I had been hanging on 2nd gear most of the way down to use the engine braking to keep my speed.
Anyways, this time however I leak was spotted; dribbling out between the master cylinder and booster. However again, let the car cool down and the brakes came back. Again, spongy but useable.

So here is my theory; the master cyl has a lightest leak, which does become apparent until the fluid heats up and becomes a) thinner, and b) more pressurized.
It's a theory at least :S

*Any* help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Lurch

'95 Luxobarge.
Stock. Currently fixing 'stuff', then come the mods :)

Post subject: Re: Brake issues
Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

If you have a leak from the master cylinder it is time to replace it. The seals inside the master cylinder are shot and the best way is a NEW master cylinder not a used one.
It is possible to buy a new master cylinder from Ford, part number is EL 2140 C and the cost is $369.00. You could more than likely get a cheaper one from someone like Repco.

Post subject: Re: Brake issues
Posted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:18 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: NF Fairlane

ACT, Australia

Thanks mate.
Will do.

'95 Luxobarge.
Stock. Currently fixing 'stuff', then come the mods :)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]