Brake Overhaul 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Brake Overhaul
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:50 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL XR6

New Zealand

Hi all i'm going to be giving the old girl a brake overhaul this weekend i'm doing rotors,pads,wheel bearings brake fluid flush etc what i want to no is this all possible to be done on the workshop floor e.g no pit or hoist just wanting to know what people have experienced.

Cheers Nick

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:30 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EB V8

NSW, Australia

As long as you have a reasonable collection of tools, then it should all be fairly straight foward. You won't need a hoist, but ensure you use trustworthy stands, not just the jack. Oh, & don't breath in any of the dust :!:

You can get a caliper tool for pushing the piston back into the caliper, but it's only useful on the fronts. The rear will need its thread turned with the hand-brake lever/bracket removed. Bearings can sometimes be painful to remove, other times they just fall off the spindle. Depends on how hot they have been. Use a socket on the nuts & don't do them up too tight either, just firm so they spin freely without any other movement.

& one last tip, one-man bleed kits are great for flushing out the old fluid (contains the mess), but you can't beat a proper old fashioned two-man brake bleed.

Have fun :roll:

Production Editor of Performance Motoring at Express Media Group
shollier@expresspublications.com.au
Phone: (02) 9741 3838 (direct line)

Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Gunna rebuild the caliipers? I did my rears not so long ago, wasn't hard. Probably not necesary, but make sure you have a squiz at yours that the rubbers are still intact and that they are still all good.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:32 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el faimont, dual fuel

VIC, Australia

rear calipers just get pushed back like the fronts on ef and on. only ed and back need to be wound in.

rechack the bearing after a few hundred kilometres. and pack them really well.

why do u write in here.

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:11 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: BA Falcon

WA, Australia

bearings need to be torqued. you need to seat the bearings (a higher torque) then back it off then re torque to a ower torque to stop them falling off.

Rhyso

BA XT, typhoon intake, K&N filter, XR 17" wheels, red/black brakes, Ford scuff plates

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:00 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

Thanks for all the tips guys i thought it would be all possible just had to confirm tools won't be a prob being a diesel mechanic was really checking to see that you can get to everything keeping in mind im a big boy lol!!!

Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

New Zealand

Got everything done on the brake side of things today thanks for everybodies input was all prety straight forward except for one little issue my little brother was giving me a hand and did one side which was all fine right up untill i was taking it for a test drive and wondered why my RR wheel was spinning and i thought what the f**k had i done turns out he had forgotten to take the blocks out and put the wheel back on!! :oops: man i was panicing lol!!!!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]