Fordmods Logo

Brake pedal pushes back 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Brake pedal pushes back
Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:45 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

Hi,
Just did some work on m,y EF Fairmont ghia 6 cylender. I just got the front discs machined and installed new wheel bearing kits on each side. Installed the disk and put the calipers back on, dropped the car and took it for a test drive. Bearings were good but I noticed a strange problem I've never had before. When I stop the car at an intersection or traffic light, the brake pedal pushes back when I press it and it makes a grinding noise. It only happens sometimes. I'm guessing the ABS sensors have grease on them or something. I've checked the brake booster and vaccum line and it's all ok. If anyone knows how to fix this problem I would appreciate if you could help me out.

Post subject: Re: Brake pedal pushes back
Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

Check if the castle nut holding the disc on is tight. This happeened to me once and it was this.

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF Futura DUH

NSW, Australia

EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:
Check if the castle nut holding the disc on is tight. This happeened to me once and it was this.

Buy not too tight!

1996 EF Futura factory manual
Fully rebuilt engine,Decked, Honed, Bored, Tolerences spot on, Wade 1673, Extractors, 2.5" zorst, 3" CAI, High flow filter, Exedy sports tuff clutch, Chiptorque tune.
Future Mods: A mortgage...

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

EFFUTURA4.05SP wrote:

What is the the castle nut?

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:37 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

The nut with all the slots on it that you tighten to hold the disc/hub on. Is it more of a pulsating pedal on application or just pushs back as your braking??

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 am 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

No it's not a pulsating pedal. It doesnt happen every time, if I gently come to a stop, once I am stopped after about 2 seconds it sort of feels like the pedal is f@rt and pushes my foot and makes a grinding noise for about 2 seconds and then it goes away.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:10 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AUII XR8 Pursuit & EF XR6

NSW, Australia

Sounds like the ABS like you stated, when you got the discs machined did you fit new brake pads?? If not that could be your issue as you have taken material off the disc and therefore needs more push of the brakes to fill in that gap between the pads and rotor. Id go with bleeding the brake system as this could be the problem.

- 1994 EF XR6, Auto, EL XR wheels. Clean and close to original ( Missus' Kiddie Chariot )
- 2001 AUII XR8 Pursuit ute, 5 speed, 18" alloys, custom tray. Goes alright!! lol

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:32 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

jughead302 wrote:
Sounds like the ABS like you stated, when you got the discs machined did you fit new brake pads?? If not that could be your issue as you have taken material off the disc and therefore needs more push of the brakes to fill in that gap between the pads and rotor. Id go with bleeding the brake system as this could be the problem.

You may be right. I didn't put new pads on and I didn't bleed the brakes. It makes allot of sense what you are saying and I'm going to get some new pads and bleed the brakes. I'll probably do it tomorrow and I'll let you know if it fixed the problem.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:19 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

jughead302 wrote:

shouldn't make any difference, just means the brake fluid drops a little to compensate for the loss amount shaved off.

Also, it is always a good idea to replace the pads after you get the discs machined or replaced. This is because the pad will most likely have uneven wear on it due to the initial uneven wear of the disc.

Check your ABS sensor to see if it needs a clean.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]