Fordmods Logo

Brake Question 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Brake Question
Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

The brakes in my AU have become spongy and have nearly no pedal feel, do i just need to bleed the brakes or is there another major issue that could be causing this?

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

NSW, Australia

Check brake fluid and pads, refill if fluid low, replace pads if thin, bleed brakes.
If that doesn't restore pedal firmness it may be a master cylinder problem.
If the fluid is very low check for signs of leaking near the master cylinder and on the inside of the wheels.
Paul

What goes around, comes around.

Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XR6

QLD, Australia

If the pedal doesn't drop while you are sitting holding your foot on it, your master is fine.

More than likely your rotors, and pads need replacing. Check them first, then give it a full flush and bleed.

Should solve it (depending on if the pedal drops while sitting)

Signature removed - Forum Guidelines forbid commercial advertising
2000 AU2 XR6 VCT

Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

XR Lita wrote:
If the pedal doesn't drop while you are sitting holding your foot on it, your master is fine.

More than likely your rotors, and pads need replacing. Check them first, then give it a full flush and bleed.

Pads have plenty left on them, the rotors are slightly warped, the pedal gets firm about 3/4 of the way down, but gets harder if pumped. would the fluid be the issue?

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XR6

QLD, Australia

When was your fluid last changed? If the rotors are warped, you really should change them, or at least measure them up to see if they are able to be machined true again

Signature removed - Forum Guidelines forbid commercial advertising
2000 AU2 XR6 VCT

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: F350

QLD, Australia

XR Lita wrote:

The pedal should drop when holding it, with car off, then starting car, indicates booster is working when vacuum is applied.

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

XR Lita wrote:
When was your fluid last changed? If the rotors are warped, you really should change them, or at least measure them up to see if they are able to be machined true again

I really dont have any idea when anything was done as i only got the car about 3 months ago

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

67RCE wrote:
XR Lita wrote:

I really dont have any idea when anything was done as i only got the car about 3 months ago

All the more reason to do a major service so as YOU know where its at in the service stakes. Engine oil, diff oil, auto trans service, or if manual, g'box oil, P/S oil, coolant, brake fluid, all the filters, s/plugs, check condition of brake pads, fanbelt, wiper rubbers, etc, etc.......the list goes on.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:10 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: XG

SA, Australia

as above do a major service, flush\replace the fluid.Do the rotors and pads,just done this to my car was happy with the improvement.
dont use cheap pads either

Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

cjh wrote:
67RCE wrote:
XR Lita wrote:

All the more reason to do a major service so as YOU know where its at in the service stakes. Engine oil, diff oil, auto trans service, or if manual, g'box oil, P/S oil, coolant, brake fluid, all the filters, s/plugs, check condition of brake pads, fanbelt, wiper rubbers, etc, etc.......the list goes on.

thats the plan, the only thing i know that has been done is the box oil, cause that wass done when the clutch got done last week

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]