Fordmods Logo

Brake upgrades for E series. 

Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

E-series standard brakes = crap FULLSTOP!

For a really cheap upgrade I am trying BMW 7 series 4 spot calipers that I got for $80.

You could try the full front end from an AU then go for Territory discs. My Terry stops awesome.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Post subject: brakes
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:17 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon

Are u implying that you can fit the AU front end to a E series???

If so then that would be awsome as then u will have AU onwards offset and just do AU diff rear and your set. Then u have a large range of wheels to choose from.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Post subject: Re: brakes
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:
Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon

Are u implying that you can fit the AU front end to a E series???

If so then that would be awsome as then u will have AU onwards offset and just do AU diff rear and your set. Then u have a large range of wheels to choose from.

It has been done by "macxr8" to his EL (+ AU IRS), he has a details here: http://www.trueblueford.com//shane_el.html
:D I have been trying to convince him for ages to do a tech doco, he is a moderator at TBF.

It isnt just a bolt in, the if you replaced the diff housing with an Au live axle it might be but the front end is a lot more work.

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Post subject: Re: brakes
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

MICKYYYY wrote:

I've been told that Joe at CMS does a set up which fits the AU set up into the E-series.

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: 1994 ED Ricer

WA, Australia

racebrakes sydney havfe bought cebco out.
The kits they do are pretty much the only decent kits out. The ebay ones are dodgy.

Whoever thinks e-series standard brakes are ok they are dreaming. Even in an underpowered stock falcon they suck a***.

Cebco/RBS kits start from 2200 i think, they are adr approved and they keep your standard offset, I am just about to buy one of them.

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

eed-250 wrote:
Cebco/RBS kits start from 2200 i think, they are adr approved and they keep your standard offset, I am just about to buy one of them.

You sure they keep the standard offset? I read on here a while ago that the kits came with a spacer. It does also list spacer in the contents of the Cebco kits.

I didn't see any mention of Cebco on the RBS website or vice versa.

I'm looking at getting the Cebco 2 peice disc ABS setup early next year.

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: EF Fairmont Station Wagon.

Power: 150 rwkw

WA, Australia

I have seen a couple of E series cars with BA calipers fittted, does any one know what is involved in in doing this upgrade, I asume the uprights would have to be modified but just guessing.

4.0L EF Fairmont Station Wagon. EL GT Snorkel. K&N Pod in air box. 3" Intake piping.
Home port job. 1636 Wade cam. Wildcat Extractors, 2 1/2" cat and exhaust.
2200/2400rpm Dominator More Stall. Stage two mechanical shift kit. 3.73 4 pinion LSD. 15.078 @ 92mph.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

i emailed cebco for a quote and they emailed back saying racebrakes have taken them over.
You install the kit and u retain the e-series offset unlike the ebay or EL GT rotors. I think it uses a spacer or somesort. But if its good enough for the saloon race cars, good enough for me.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: BF3 Egas wag SY AWD Terry Ghia

VIC, Australia

Shane's car looks great!
It's a shame there are no photo's of the front end work. Wagon diff is so simple to swap if I was bothered with it.
He mentioned a lot of spot weld drilling out? I would have thought an AU subframe would drop right in?
I just want to improve things without spending much money. If I was really into it I would just start with an AU as they are about $7G nowadays...
I have to get rid of the EF's wasting space in the garage. I have spent about $3G on the project so far so I would like to try and get my money back or at least have a useable fairmont when I get back on track.

BF3 Egas XT Wagon
SY Territory Ghia AWD 6spA :))

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

Rick's EF Fairmont Wagon wrote:
Shane's car looks great!
It's a shame there are no photo's of the front end work. Wagon diff is so simple to swap if I was bothered with it.
He mentioned a lot of spot weld drilling out? I would have thought an AU subframe would drop right in?
I just want to improve things without spending much money. If I was really into it I would just start with an AU as they are about $7G nowadays...
I have to get rid of the EF's wasting space in the garage. I have spent about $3G on the project so far so I would like to try and get my money back or at least have a useable fairmont when I get back on track.

There are a couple of updated photos in the Engine conversion thread showing the front end afterwards. You can see what was basically done. I would of loved to have taken photos, but I would be still there working away and taking happy snaps.

One day, given time and money may do another one, slightly different. Of course if some one wanted to pay me to do it, might be tempted.....as long as they brought the camera along as well.

But basically the AU front end is NOT a straight swap over. The sedan/wagon diffs I imagine would be, bar maybe the handbrake cable.

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: 5spd EF

eed-250 wrote:
Whoever thinks e-series standard brakes are ok they are dreaming. Even in an underpowered stock falcon they suck a***.

I have always pulled back away from cars in a lock up scenario (I have never locked up)

Naturally when they start to heat up the handling gets poor, but they are still fine enough to get you out of trouble if you aren't being to fast to furious.

Something to think about, It's not the car, It's the driver.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

OT: I'm not really sure what you mean by your first statement.

something to thing about though, if you've never locked your car up (i mean obviously in a safe area with no one around) then how do you know what the limits of the car are?

as for e series brakes being fine, they just blatantly aren't :lol: mine are s**t house, and sometimes unpredicatable. scares me from time to time when the pedal just gets so long after such light use. i think i need new pads... i'm sick of putting on new pads every 5000km though cause they are s**t!

for third statement: not always, see above. but yes, obviously you do have to cater for the ability of the car, sit back etc, but sometimes situations can't be avoided (kid/dog running out on road, someone through a red light etc)

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:10 pm 
Fordmods Addict

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: Falcon

Power: 237 rwkw

VIC, Australia

You get one good stop from 110km/h out of them.

Stopping from 200km/h takes a couple of bites in my experience :lol:

ED XR8 Sprint - S-Trim, V500, 249rwkw
BF MKII F6 Tornado - 237rwkw

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

WA, Australia

OsbornThomas wrote:
eed-250 wrote:

I have always pulled back away from cars in a lock up scenario (I have never locked up)

Naturally when they start to heat up the handling gets poor, but they are still fine enough to get you out of trouble if you aren't being to fast to furious.

Something to think about, It's not the car, It's the driver.
I am talking about fast and furious style. Everyone on here is making their cars go faster so obviously people are going to be using their brakes more and more. Single piston calipers and a s**t small disc on a nearly 2 tonne car does not cut the mustard. but as you said, its ok for Grandad and mum.

Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: EL fairmont offroader

VIC, Australia

I once avoided an accident by locking up my wheels. The car in front heard me and backed off their brakes. I still remember it vividly.

wrecking 9/97 EL fairmont sedan burgundy 6cyl auto 270k modBAintake

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2