Fordmods Logo

Breaking diffs - WHAT NEXT ? 

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Breaking diffs - WHAT NEXT ?
Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:47 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 12 images

QLD, Australia

I have been going through a number of diffs. first i was just destroying the center so i invested in a Lokka and now this happens

Its a Ef falcon 4l with a shift kitted auto. have tried most ratios and this was a 3.89
What options are there to bolt up or will i have to get something custom made ?

Post subject: Re: Breaking diffs - WHAT NEXT ?
Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

i think its the shift kit that maybe doing its it on a hard setting??. my mate had one in his AU and it destroyed is diff. it just seized up and mad a crunch noise.

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:18 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
i think its the shift kit that maybe doing its it on a hard setting??. my mate had one in his AU and it destroyed is diff. it just seized up and mad a crunch noise.

Yeah its on a hard setting. i only have real cheap 205/65-15 tires on the car. With such a low ratio and skinny tires on the car i would have thought it would break traction not gears.

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

most likely its the shift kit. think everytime it shifts hard it puts load on the diff. get a new diff and remove the shift kit nd see how u go

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Yeah if your going flat stick between first and second and it changes really fast its not going to like the force being put on it so quickly

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri May 06, 2011 11:36 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

bry40l wrote:
Yeah if your going flat stick between first and second and it changes really fast its not going to like the force being put on it so quickly

The plan is to go flat stick. Without the shift kit the transmission just slips through second. There is no problem with the transmission when driving around town without the shift kit, or even if i launch it at the traffic lights. But wen heading down the quarter it slips in second and doesn't feel like the car is moving just like a clutch slipping.

i was going to keep the transmission like it is and i was hoping for a stronger diff option. I have a few months to get one sorted out but i will be putting a new motor that is worked up front and if all goes to plan a c4 box. I want the diff to stand up to abuse.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:44 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

don't need the shift kit around town. turn it of perhaps to save your diff

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

The problem would have been a weakness in the gear, not your "shift kit". These diffs can take big power reliably, even with driver abuse. Where did you source the 3.89 gear from? a skyline/pintara diff I bet.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 1:57 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Pintara gear sets are known for this, while they do fit, they are slightly smaller in the crown and they tend to engage the gear sets towards the edge of the teath, breaking then off as per your photo.

Turn your shift kit down, have some mechanical sympathy and even with 3.89's they will be fine.

I have a car.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:16 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

So if i get a set of 3.45 gears from a falcon and get them set properly they will be fine to handle the power of the new motor and gearbox combo ?

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:32 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

there are guys with over 300 rwkw using these diffs, these diffs are more than strong enough..
i say your fault is in the gear set not the type of diff...

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:16 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TROYMAN wrote:
there are guys with over 300 rwkw using these diffs, these diffs are more than strong enough..
i say your fault is in the gear set not the type of diff...

Exactly, There are also 400+ RWKW cars running these diffs. (TUFED6, ebs_4l, EBXR8380)

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 3:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

dc_todd wrote:
Pintara gear sets are known for this, while they do fit, they are slightly smaller in the crown and they tend to engage the gear sets towards the edge of the teath, breaking then off as per your photo.

At first I thought that someone forgot to set the backlash in the diff but if you have a pintara a*** in your falcon then you have 2 options. Baby it around or ditch it for a falcon sized a*** and you won't have this problem. As with any type of a***, the correct centre to centre distance and backlash is critical to the longevity of that a***. Did your diff seem noiser at all when you had the pintara gears in it?

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:29 pm 
Oompa Loompa

QLD, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
dc_todd wrote:

At first I thought that someone forgot to set the backlash in the diff but if you have a pintara a*** in your falcon then you have 2 options. Baby it around or ditch it for a falcon sized a*** and you won't have this problem. As with any type of a***, the correct centre to centre distance and backlash is critical to the longevity of that a***. Did your diff seem noiser at all when you had the pintara gears in it?

I have broken two factory 3.45 XR diffs and now the 3.89 Lokka. The skyline gears in the 3.89 diff were in great condition and never really loaded. They are out of a known station wagon R31 that was always cared for. I built the diff the same way we rebuild the truck diffs (Eaton and Rockwell) using the service manual for specs and following the book. The diff had slight overrun noise but was quieter in general than the XR diffs. As for size of gears the Skyline and falcon both ran Borg Warner 75 series gears, so there was no problem there.

So what do the cars that are crushing these diffs do ? there must be an upgrade. That is what i am interested in.

Posted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

TriggerHappy wrote:
xcabbi wrote:
dc_todd wrote:

I have broken two factory 3.45 XR diffs and now the 3.89 Lokka. The skyline gears in the 3.89 diff were in great condition and never really loaded. They are out of a known station wagon R31 that was always cared for. I built the diff the same way we rebuild the truck diffs (Eaton and Rockwell) using the service manual for specs and following the book. The diff had slight overrun noise but was quieter in general than the XR diffs. As for size of gears the Skyline and falcon both ran Borg Warner 75 series gears, so there was no problem there.

So what do the cars that are crushing these diffs do ? there must be an upgrade. That is what i am interested in.

dude, Falcons run BW 78 gears, as they are a BW78! if it had over run noise, something was not within spec!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next